• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Bloomingdale

Jason Bloomingdale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 01:08 PM

I work at a lumberyard doing residential drawings, and several houses in my area have a characteristic that I can't seem to replicate in a satisfactory way. The attached screenshot is the closest I can come: Essentially, a house will have an interior bearing wall which intersects the exterior wall, and the roof will have a gable that references that interior bearing wall while sharing the exterior wall with the adjacent hip wall, effectively creating an L-shaped roof on a rectangular structure. By tracing two separate roofs, I can get pretty close, and auto hole helps minimize Z-fighting on the 3D model, but there are little annoyances that come with having to draw it as 2 separate roofs, like my gutters stopping and starting midway down the roof, since on the opposite side of the house, it's one continuous hip roof. I can't use the "match roof planes" function because they're two different roofs, and no matter how I try to fenagle the shape, I can't manage to create a single roof that matches this geometry. Am I missing anything that will let me create the appropriate roof? A "Merge roofs" function would sure be nice! Thanks everyone!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2024-06-14 144614.png

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 14 June 2024 - 03:32 PM

It won't be perfect any way you do it, but there are alternate options. One is to draw a complete hip roof over the whole rectangle. Change the one end to be a gable as you show on the right in your example. Then apply a gable roof via "Add False Gable" where you want the gable off the bottom side and set the width to be what you want.

Another option is to set hidden beams at the same height as the top of your wall top plates just below where you want that second gable to be (bottom left in your example). Set those beams just outside of the edge of the main hip roof overhangs, or anywhere beyond that. Make sure you uncheck "Extract In Model" so the beams do not show. Then, draw one more hidden beam to act as the gable end reference. It should either be placed a little below the long bottom wall or off to the left of the building (eventually). Set your gable end overhangs to model a little deeper than your hip overhangs. Then trace the whole roof with the "L" shape being created by referencing the hidden beams. Change the gable ends to be gables as you like. Adjust the gable end hidden reference beam to the left of the bottom wall and in line with the outside face of that wall so the gable end basically lines up with the hip roof to the right. Then, be careful, but you can typically adjust the gable overhang down to within 1/8" or so of the hip overhang. It will all be one roof, all one set of gutters, and probably be the cleanest look. I have noticed recently if the soffits are raked SP does not model them correctly at small bump-out gable roof like that, but you can hopefully make the right adjustments for what you need.

In my experience those are the better options. There are probably some other things SP users do that may work as well.

• David Zawadzki likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 05:48 AM

https://www.screenca...om/t/1I3o2lrcRt

I think you need to get rid of the interior bearing, draw a roof on the whole thing, gable the right, then draw a roof for that other

gable, use ignore walls some and uncheck regenerate,  Adjust this added roof down to middle, and make a gable, again uncheck regenerate.

I couldn't get it perfect, but close.

#4 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 15 June 2024 - 08:43 AM

Below is one of the ways that I would draw this roof. I adjusted the gable overhang 1/64" larger than the rest of the overhang dimension's to make it work.

Attached Thumbnails

• Trace Roof.png
  • Hip on Left Bottom.png
  • Gable on Left Bottom.png
  • Birds eye view.png

• Mark Petri, Martin Wrobel and Wesley Penner like this

#5 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 15 June 2024 - 08:43 AM

Are you trying to match the ridge lines?

#6 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 15 June 2024 - 11:27 AM

I would Auto roof the whole house, then add the false gable, and then auto hole the roof under the false gable.  Would that work for you?

• Allen McDonnell likes this

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 11 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#7 Jason Bloomingdale

Jason Bloomingdale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 09:48 AM

Hi everyone, Thanks for the input! By way of getting a roof like the example made, all of these ideas have merit in the right context. The false gable option works well as long as it's not going to push the ridge higher than the existing ridge. Otherwise you end up with a ridge sticking up in the air with nothing to connect to. Drawing it as 2 roofs as in my original drawing or Fred's screencap works, but you have what video gamers call "Z-Fighting" where 2 textures occupy the same space, so the render doesn't know which one to display, and unfortunately auto hole doesn't resolve this, plus you still end up with the odd visual of intersecting gutters, etc. I think for the context where I would use it, "cheating" out the measurement for the gable is the best option, as it allows Softplan to see the whole unit as one roof, so it handles textures, trims, and all that good stuff as connected. It would definitely be nice to get an option to "merge roofs" where Softplan can recognize coplanar roofs and combine those planes while leaving others as they are. #suggestionbox

#8 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 03:05 PM

That back side of the gable, can be made a bullnose and it will fill in the back, give it a distance, to make it fit correctly

#9 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 19 June 2024 - 09:08 PM

Just change the pitch of the gable to be below or even with the main ridge?

you would have the change the left hip to match so it looks good.

#10 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 12:13 PM

I see Richard's method is probably the one and best

#11 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 12:58 PM

If you look at one of the training videos in the Softplan program for roofs they use the method that I used.

#12 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 03:29 PM

I don't watch many of the softplan videos,  But I I should have figured out that sytem.  Guess I've always drawn 2 roofs or would, I've really never needed to do a roof like that on a rectangular

house..    So I'm glad to have that added piece of Softplan functioning.       thanks

#13 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 05:10 PM

I’m glad that you like it. My favorite tool is “insert polygon edge”
  • Mark Petri and Keith Almond like this

#14 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:16 AM

Gonna have to check that out, never used it,   

#15 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,109 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 06:23 AM

I’m glad that you like it. My favorite tool is “insert polygon edge”

Mine too!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#16 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted Yesterday, 09:47 AM

Is this the video you speak of?

https://youtu.be/0Ds...YsWMXJP4Mq8PXFD

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 11 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#17 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:58 PM

I don't see it, Softplan has updated the video's

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roof

0 user(s) are reading this topic