#1 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 25 July 2024 - 01:53 PM

Is there a procedure to flare or give a profile to a wall end?

Attached Files

• Attached File  f2.png   295.18KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  f1.png   53.12KB   0 downloads

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#2 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 25 July 2024 - 02:01 PM

for this example:

'rake deflect' could be a useful feature in the wall edit menu.  - currently not possible unless i go thru the time consuming process of pitching the wall to a radius roof plane.

Attached Files

• Attached File  f3.png   98.15KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  f4.png   102.17KB   0 downloads

Joseph A. Smith

#3 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 02:14 PM

the few times I've done something like this it was easier/faster to just add a solid

#4 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 25 July 2024 - 03:19 PM

for this example:

'rake deflect' could be a useful feature in the wall edit menu.  - currently not possible unless i go thru the time consuming process of pitching the wall to a radius roof plane.

Would absolutely love this option!

• David Zawadzki likes this

#5 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 25 July 2024 - 03:36 PM

got it!  Thanks tech support!

Simplifying this procedure would be super for a new release suggestion.

Attached Files

• Attached File  f5.png   873.53KB   0 downloads

Joseph A. Smith

#6 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 05:31 PM

so how did you do it?

#7 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 26 July 2024 - 05:01 AM

Create a custom profile that matches the height and shape of your concave end wall. Now create a custom wall definition and assign the profile to the siding material of the wall definition. Be sure  the width of the siding is equal to the thickness of your profile.

Attached Files

• Allen McDonnell likes this

#8 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 26 July 2024 - 08:26 AM

Philip right but the siding wall barrel is continuous.  i'm only looking for the face wall ENDS to take that barrel shape.  (first image) Basically same logic but you have to turn the corner slightly and reduce the wall joins.  still can't get the walls to join properly.

second image is radius roof soffit and freeze not working properly with my roof profiles.

this is clearly pushing the boundaries of softplan IMO.

Attached Files

• Attached File  f6.png   781.88KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  f8.png   894.45KB   0 downloads

• Allen McDonnell likes this

Joseph A. Smith

#9 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 July 2024 - 10:02 AM

Another issue I see when using the solids technique is that textures don't seem to scale or align the same on wall surfaces compared to solids. This usually isn't a noticeable difference if the texture has very minimal texture such as a smooth stucco but for brick or other intricate patterns, the textures on solids are very difficult to match with an adjacent wall plane texture. Secondly, live elevations tend to show the lines where a solid is placed against a wall rather than a continuous surface because these are two separate objects. What I hope to see SoftPlan incorporate is a way to add more complex geometry to a single wall as shown in the examples above with more deflection, slant, and rake properties to achieve these complex shapes without the need for additional profiles. In Philips Example, this is a great solution to keep the wall material consistent with the profile however the thickness of the stucco material increased significantly where a typical wall assembly will be built in layers with a smaller layer of finish stucco, but this method still works great for 3D purposes. This can easily be made in a construction wall detail, but it would be cool to be able to assign these properties on a normal wall assembly. The complexity of these types of construction elements is probably why it has taken SoftPlan longer to implement it in the software without any major bugs or errors when generating walls.

#10 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 26 July 2024 - 01:13 PM

Even simple roofs and wall profiles can stump SP at times. I sure wish we had more control on raking studs, adding different framing elements, sheathing, etc. It would make the use of the program's "automated" features more applicable and clean. With all the workarounds needed to show certain things it not only messes up 3D, elevations and sections, it also makes using SoftList a pain. I don't bother as I don't have the time to account for all the oddities.

• Tim Kenyon and Matthew Dunson like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#11 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 26 July 2024 - 03:30 PM

I have an A frame house coming up soon.  Kind of not looking forward to the hoops I'll have to jump thru to get to flow proper in 3d for the customer.

Matthews point of lines showing is correct....very annoying mixing solids with wall materials then getting things to look proper in 3d for a customer.

all in all I'm pleased with the output once your aware of the problems areas and able to work thru them.

• Matthew Dunson likes this

Joseph A. Smith

#12 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 26 July 2024 - 05:11 PM

I had to model this A frame (existing house) for a deck replacement. I only had to represent the shell of the house, but still lots of fun with the goofy roofs at the dormers. Not perfect. I didn't even try to duplicate the gingerbread fascia and some details. The county wants full exterior elevations whenever we change anything on the outside, so it has added a lot of time to drawings for some simple projects.

Attached Files

• Joseph Smith, David Zawadzki and Matthew Dunson like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#13 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 30 July 2024 - 08:12 AM

Mark, what pitch or angle is that?  I did a preliminary section of what I may need; thinking 65 deg.

Joseph A. Smith

#14 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 30 July 2024 - 09:11 AM

Joseph,

It is a 20/12 pitch on the main roof.