#1 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 25 August 2024 - 12:08 PM

I created this list of procedures for creating Selections and Selection Sets for our weekly team meeting. I thought I'd share here as well.

Selection sets are a way to make modifications to multiple objects at the same time. For example, you can copy, move, or erase all of the items within the set.

Ways to make Selections and Selection Sets:

• CTRL Left Click on an object to toggle the object between selected and unselected.
  • CTRL Left Click an empty space to start drawing a selection box. Drag the box around the objects you want to select then release. Items can be selected or deselected by drawing the selection box completely around them.
  • Right Click an object and select Add Selection to select just that object.
  • Right Click an object and select Add Type Selection to select all objects of the same type. For example, Right Click on a toilet symbol and choose Add Type Selection to select all of the same type of toilet symbols on the drawing.
  • Right Click an object and select Add Group Selection to add all items of a certain type. For example, Right Click on any symbol and select Add Group Selection to select all symbols on the drawing.
  • Shift + to turn on Add/Remove Selection. Click on items to add to or remove from the selection set. Note that your system may not be set up with this keyboard shortcut. You may need to create a shortcut for Add/Remove Selection.
  • Alt+S to reselect the previous selection set. Use this to reselect the previous selection set after it has been deselected. This works even if you have performed other actions after the selection set was deselected.
  • If you are having trouble selecting or deselecting an object because items are close together you can right click the object and select Under Cursor then select the object to add or remove from the selection.
  • Right click an object and select Info. Select either the Layer or the Building Option and then Add Selection to select all items with the same Layer or Building Option setting.

ESC or Right Click and select Clear Selection to deselect everything.

Caution: Be sure to deselect the selection set once you are finished modifying the set. Leaving the selection set active can lead to accidentally modifying or erasing the entire set of items.

See the attached image for how to set up a keyboard shortcut for the Add/Remove Selection if needed.

Attached Thumbnails

• Add Remove Selection.jpg

• Gary McKeon, Chris Proost, Wesley Penner and 1 other like this

#2 Charles Vienne

Charles Vienne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 10:49 AM

Bill,

Thanks for this info on selection sets.

I discovered awhile ago that you can also group the selection set.

Tools...group box or group poly,.....just choose either and the selection set will now be grouped. (I use this often)

Note: I'm on an older version so maybe there's a contextual option for group selection on newer versions?

Charlie

#3 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 07 September 2024 - 11:04 AM

Hey Charles. I used to use grouping a lot but have been using selection sets exclusively for awhile now.

Grouping is a more perminant way of defining that a set of objects should be acted upon together. The advantage over selection sets is that you do not have to define the group each time you want to use it. The disadvantage, at least for me, is that you have to remember to turn the "Group" toggle off after you are finished modifying the group. If you inadvertantly leave it on then you can unintentially make modifications to entire groups when you only wanted to edit one item.

Selection sets are not a perminant selection but they are easy to create using the methods listed above. And unlike groups, you can see what is included within the selection set. There is no visual way of telling what is in a group other than acting upon the entire group.

Selection sets and groups can both be essentially used in the same way but, at least for me, I prefer working with selection sets.

• David Zawadzki likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users