3 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 September 2024 - 05:03 PM

I have a project that I am working on that has a detached bathroom structure alongside the main primary structure. I have started the project by drawing the two structures on the same floor plan. I am not having any problems with conflicting wall/roof heights since I am able to manually make these adjustments and the structures are similarly constructed with a connecting deck system, but this brought me to the neighborhood options we currently have available that I have questions on.

I am needing the ability to show a floor plan with the two structures on the same plan which is why I am drawing them on the same floor plan. The other reason why I have them on the same floor plan is because when I generate my elevations, both structures appear in the elevations which is what I am needing even though they are separate structures. I also have a deck structure connecting the two structures so having all the structures drawn on one plan helps when aligning these together. I am considering drawing the deck on a separate drawing and stacking it to the model but so far, I am keeping it with the main structure floor plan since I have to show the deck with the other structures on a floor plan.

Are these options available when I do a neighborhood drawing if I decide to separate the structures on different floor plans inside separate projects? The reason why I am considering doing separate projects for each structure is because I can control the stacking more easily with changes in roof height as well as if I need to position the bathroom structure that is not on the same grid layout as the main structure which may be easier to read dimensions on separate plans with the walls 90 degrees instead of at the angle it is positioned on the site. The only thing I haven't explored yet is if SoftPlan allows a user to do elevations with neighborhoods so I can represent both structures, and is SoftPlan limited to elevations for only the drawings currently in a project?

I have also considered exploring nested regions to where I can import the separate bathroom structure to the main structure project however I am unsure how to tackle the elevation problem with needing to have both structures represented on an elevation. I was thinking maybe I could layer two separate elevations into one elevation drawing but depending on the position of the second structure, the elevation views may not align how I am needing them to.

Any input or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I haven't explored these options with SoftPlan that much over the years of using it, but I would like to take advantage of the tools we have if there is a better way to approach the needs of this project.

#2 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 30 September 2024 - 06:00 PM

I would use the building options and put the outhouse on its own option.
  • Matthew Dunson likes this

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 11 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#3 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 October 2024 - 02:26 PM

Thank you David for this suggestion since it does make sense to assign a separate building option if I am needing the structure to show up on the same elevations and I can also easily control visibilities on the 2D plan if I want both structures represented on one plan or on individual plans simply by adjusting what building option or layer is enabled/disabled. However, the trickier part is if I have the detached bathroom at an obscure angle compared to the main structure, I will have to draw it at the specific angle on the site. I can easily do this by using cursor lock and assigning my cursor angle, but I feel that for legibility of plans it would be easier if they were squared to the page. But what is also great is when I have a deck system, I can easily reference the edges of both structures since they are on the same floor plan, and I do not have to mess around aligning these if they are on separate plans/projects.

So far this will probably be my method considering I have been drawing the two structures on the same plan as my starting approach, but any other feedback would be helpful. Thanks David

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 08:07 AM

Neighbourhood has advantages ... You can raise and lower units and each unit has their own specific finishes.

This is a site I put together in neighbourhood ...

Attached File  Simpson Site Plan.png   793.21KB   0 downloads

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neighborhood, detached, drawings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users