#1 Steven Wohlgemuth

Steven Wohlgemuth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick Canada

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

Hi, I am new to Softplan 2016, I had softplan lite 2012. I upgraded this past september, now i would like to know your thoughts on the best way for me to Learn how to use it? Should I do all the webinars? I did get all the Training videos with my upgrade. I have drawn a few plans with the Lite version i had earlier. Or should I just start and figure it out as I go? Hopefully this isnt to repetitious!! Thanks

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:52 AM

Personally, I'd jump in at the deep end, and figure it out as you go. If you're familiar with LITE, the learning curve isn't steep, and you can always use the forum (or Technical Support) if you get stuck. Just watch a few videos in your spare time if your bored. Bottom line is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. The more you use it, the more you get to know how to use it.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 James Quesenberry

James Quesenberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSouth West Virginia

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:49 PM

Hey Steven,

I would say it greatly depends on what your work load is like. Having started the program just about 2 months ago myself, or is it 3 now,  I would have to disagree with Keith on the all in thought based on a heavy work load. I wanted to use SP right away, but because of the type of work my main customer does, the program was just to hard to use and be productive at the same time. There are things that I feel like need to be taken care of before I can become proficient with SP so I haven't used it to finish a job yet . I will say that if you do jump into it you can get drawings out. They will be far from perfect at first but that is the purpose of repeated practice which I just do not have time for right now myself. The most encouraging thing about the program is not the program itself, it is the user base that you will make contact with on these forums. They know this program inside and out and if there is a way to do something they will get you in the right direction. I'm of the option that some of them are CAD gods or geniuses at a minimum so ask away.

My thoughts on getting into the program as a new user would be to learn the program for a month or two and then do some of the online training so you'll have a good idea of where you are having trouble and what kind of questions you need help.

Good luck on getting started whatever you decide to do!

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

Jerry, I was basing the answer mainly on the fact that Steven said " I have drawn a few plans with the Lite version I had earlier". If he's familiar with LITE, he can still be productive with the full version without using ANY of the advanced features, and he will find himself adding more items as he becomes familiar with them. The step from LITE to the FULL program is (in my opinion) a negligible learning curve.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#5 James Quesenberry

James Quesenberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSouth West Virginia

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

Wasn't knocking your thought's Keith and I haven't used lite so i don't know the difference. Just spitting out my 2 cents worth on being a completely new user. Sorry if I offended.

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:58 PM

No offence, was just my opinion ... actually as a new user you may be more in touch than I am. I learnt Softplan over 20 years ago, and I thought then it wasn't a steep learning curve. However, they've added an awful lot since then. Maybe because I've got used to it, I think that it's very intuitive, and therefore maybe I don't see any learning issues, where new users may.

Bear in mind that final construction documents are produced at 1/4" scale or less. Most things don't have to be any more perfect than they were when we drew things by hand. As long as the Customers get the idea, and the builder can construct it, then it's all good.

Although I'm a perfectionist, and this is hard for me to say ...

It's not necessary to sweat the petty things.

F.Y.I. -  LITE is very similar, just lacking some of the advanced features. Stupidly because of that, I find LITE more frustrating to use ... I keep wanting to use commands that aren't there.

Keith

#7 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

I started way back also on version 8. As Keith mentioned, you could get started fairly quickly but Softplan now incorporates a heck of lot more than back then. A lot more tools are available now such as the videos and tutorials. If you can afford some of the classes offered by Softplan, it's never a bad thing to have a more direct training where you can ask questions and reduce the number of hours doing things the right way.

Still think that you can get going faster with Softplan that ACAD!

#8 Steven Wohlgemuth

Steven Wohlgemuth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the input. I also have access to the softplan + video traing library, there is about 150 videos in there. Looks like there is a bunch of willing helpers here on the forum to!!!

#9 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:15 AM

I think the biggest thing to work on or understand when learning Softplan is setting up all your standards in the Sustem Options.  It does take some time and thought but it helps down the road.  Not saying that the more you learn the more you might want to change but you have to know what you are starting with otherwise you will be confused.  From a drawing aspect, start simple (ranch, simple roof lines, slab) and if you that kind of plan then you are much better off than working on your "current" project.  It may sound obvious but you are amazed on how many times we don't do the simple stuff first. 

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#10 Mike Feinstein

Mike Feinstein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:37 AM

I am by no means an SP expert. When i started, I went through the basic tutorial, which gave me a great starting point. As I progressed, and ran into various difficulties, I would solve each problem one at a time...videos or the manual. By far, the most helpful learning tool for me was, and still is, the forum. The wealth of information and the willingness of others to pass their knowledge on is immeasurable. The only way to truly learn is by doing...and as mentioned in this thread and many others,,,PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Save your work often...and don't be afraid of making mistakes...you can always go back to saved versions.

Mike

Gen-One Construction, INC.

#11 Steven Wohlgemuth

Steven Wohlgemuth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:33 AM

I have a question for you Mike, on saving work often. then going back to the saved version? Can you explain that one abit more??

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:08 PM

Steven, if you go into the project folder, there is a RECOVERY directory.  In that directory you will find lots of SPD files. Every file you save the file is tagged with a number - the latest save being number 001, for some unknown reason - and all the rest incremented to suit. Softplan will save up to 10 recovery files as a default, but you can change that to as many as you want in SYSTEM OPTIONS > SETUP OPTIONS

Keith

#13 Steven Wohlgemuth

Steven Wohlgemuth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:28 PM

Ok I found it! Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Training, Learning