#1 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBirnie, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:20 PM

I am having an issue with adding details to my drawings.  I don't know if it has anything to do with working on my laptop instead of my desktop, but when I add details it all looks correct until I click the final "OK". Parts of the details are not drawn. It is mostly, or completely, some of the notes. It will include parts of notes. I have tried exploding the details and when I edit a note that  is only partly thee it is incomplete just like it shows on the screen. I tried it on a few different drawings, and also tried restarting the laptop.

Attached Thumbnails

• screenlog.jpg

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:30 PM

Verlin, can you give a bigger screenshot (preferably zoomed in) that's not legible, so we can't see the details that are missing ... err... you know what I mean!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Mike Downing

Mike Downing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationPortola, Ca

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:37 PM

Verlin,

I'll second what Keith said. It is hard to see. That being said, are you using paint in the detail drawings or are you attempting to make a symbol of the detail? If you are then you need to have everything drawn in and then explode before making a symbol. If not that, what mode are you drawing in. Have you checked to see, for example, if you're in drawing mode or that notes are checked for visibility?

Mike Downing

#4 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:31 PM

The detail shown was created today by drawing lines, and shapes and entering text. I then used "one step" to create a symbol in my "Details" folder. I get the same behaviour with details that I have used many times before. I am drawing in drawing mode and I did not use paint for the drawing shown. The red ovals show areas where partial and complete notes are missing. Also, all the dimension numbers I added as text are missing.

Attached Thumbnails

• Detail Isue Snip.PNG

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Looks very bizarre. Would you mind us looking at the original SPD file? If you don't mind, is it possible to put it in a zip file and post it, and we can try and replicate the problem, or send you a fixed detail. Alternately, I'd ask Softplan Technical Support. Do you have Softplan+, if so send a support ticket. That way they will have all the relevant files too.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#6 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

The "Detail drawing" is the drawing where I created the detail. There are some PDFs there that I was using to create the detail. The detail has been exploded after I used it to create the detail.

The "Details" drawing is the result I get when adding the detail after it has been created. I talked to tech support and they told me to send a screen shot to them. Here is their reply:

Based on the information visible in the screen shot this behaviour is expected. 

In the last patch the intended behaviour for symbol attributes was updated.  Symbol attributes are intended to be set up as questions that need to be answered before the symbol is drawn. 

I would recommend either ensuring that attributes are not added to the desired symbols, or you can save symbols to a Speed Note library.  Speed notes will retain the default attribute name(s) when placed on a drawing if no text is entered. 

The following is my reply to them, and have not heard anything more as the office is now closed.As suggested I should probable send in a ticket:

I didn't add any attributes to the detail. The red ovals in the attached screen shot show most of the notes that are partially or completely missing.

Attached Files

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#7 Mike Downing

Mike Downing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationPortola, Ca

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

Verlin,

I have been able to create a symbol with your drawing. I noticed that you have a Metafile or PDF overlay on your drawing. Two things may be happening here. Have you tried to uncheck the PDF overlay in your Layers?  I suspect it is confusing the symbol wizard when the PDF layer is on. It seemed to work fine when the  Overlay was unchecked. The other thing that happened is the attributes came up automatically when I went to create the symbol at that point I just clicked OK.

Also, I noticed that tech said to create this as a speed note and it will retain the default attributes have you tried that yet?.  

Hope this helps

Mike Downing

#8 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:34 PM

The issue is not just with this detail. It gives the same result when adding existing details that used to work fine to older drawings.

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#9 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:38 PM

I had another strange thing happen yesterday. That is why I wonder if it has anything to do with me working on my laptop. Yesterday my projects rounded dimensions to whole inches. When I sent it to SoftPlan they couldn't replicate it. Today that issue is gone. I am working on my laptop because I am away from home. 

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:59 PM

Interesting! As yet, I haven't opened your file - can't do that until I get back to a Softplan capable computer.

Firstly, as Tech Support have said, the behaviour of SYMBOLS that have attributes, has been changed in a recent update. God knows why, as I said in an earlier thread, "Where is the downside of having a default attribute?" I'm not sure why they FIXED something that wasn't BROKEN. The bottom line is; if you have a symbol with attributes, then you will have to add text to that attribute when you insert it. But as you said, If you haven't got attributes in your notes, then that shouldn't be the problem.

Secondly, and more interesting. last week I was really confused as one of my drawings seemed to be giving some odd dimensions. Even though the dimensions were not set to whole inches, and no text override was in place, all the dimensions insisted in being in WHOLE INCHES. Nothing I did would allow them to be changed. I rebooted the computer, and re-opened the drawing and magically, everything was back to normal ... So it's not just you.

I seriously doubt that the fault is with the laptop. Laptop or desktop, the results should be identical.

If you have a PDF in the drawing, that could be doing some masking. In Softplan, PDF's have a white background, and are not capable of being "SENT" to BACK or FRONT as JPG's are. If you don't need the PDF you should delete it. Another alternative; If it's a real PDF, (and not an  BITMAP image in a PDF wrapper) ... If you download the FREE "Inkscape", you can open the PDF and save it as a DESKTOP CUTTING PLOTTER (AUTOCAD DXF R14) (*.DXF) file. Once saved as a DXF, you can insert it into Softplan from the IMPORT menu. Although you may have to ADJUST the SIZE SCALE. That may solve some issues.

Keith

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:24 AM

Okay, Testing this I have found a couple of things out.

First, Not sure how, but SOME of the text does contain attributes. I'm not sure how, as it seems to be standard text - However if you edit the created symbol and go to the attribute tab, you can put all the text back in. It seems like the text may be retaining attributes from a previous life as a speed note, but it's not obvious, and is very confusing, as NO ATTRIBUTES were added during symbol creation, so they shouldn't exist. If you Block select the whole thing with CTRL and explode it (a couple of times to be on the safe side), it does remove the attributes and saves as a standard symbol, that inserts without issues.

I will make TECH SUPPORT aware that something is going wrong with ATTRIBUTES during the creation of this symbol.

Secondly, and something that I wasn't previously aware of, you CAN create the WHOLE symbol as a speed note. Now I'm not sure what the difference is between a speed note created this way and a symbol.

Keith

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:40 AM

...I noticed that tech said to create this as a speed note and it will retain the default attributes have you tried that yet?...

Mike, surprisingly when saved as a speed note, it doesn't contain ANY attributes to retain ... EDIT: Apologies, it didn't when created from the exploded original symbol. It does if created from the original drawing.

Keith

#13 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:17 AM

OK, this has been a learning experience for me. I did not realize that when creating a symbol I was setting attributes when I put a check beside each of the notes. I thought I needed to do that in order for those notes to show in the symbol.

Tech support told me that the way attributes had worked in Softplan for a long time was wrong and now when they fixed it we were used to the way it had worked.

They told me that there is no way to remove the attributes in a symbol once it is created. The solution would be to create a speed note from the symbol. The problem with that is that once the symbol has been created with attributes you can't just add it to your drawing completely without adding notes to it, so at this point the one step method to create a speed note doesn't work. What they then suggested was to go to the SoftPlan folder in the system and find the detail in the symbol folder. Then right clip, copy, and then paste into the speed notes folder. I tried it and it seems to work well. When adding that speed note to a drawing it has attributes, but the symbol shows correctly.

If you would prefer to still have this detail in the symbol folder you can now explode it and create a new symbol without attributes. 

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#14 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:31 AM

When I created the symbol, I didn't set attributes for the text, but it had them anyway, once you edit the symbol they are there. As I said above, exploding the whole thing allowed it to save correctly as a symbol, and the one step method to create the speed note worked perfectly for me.

I'm still confused as to why my original symbol had attributes that I didn't set when I created it.

If they are any use to you, the enclosed zip file has 2 details. Slab with Piles is a SPEED NOTE and Slab with Piles 2 is a SYMBOL, not sure how Softplan is determining a difference between then.

Attached Files

Keith

#15 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

... Tech support told me that the way attributes had worked in Softplan for a long time was wrong and now when they fixed it we were used to the way it had worked...

Again, I'm not sure what they mean by that ... Attributes always worked perfectly for me. Now they are a pain in the ass. 

RANT, RANT, RANT ...

I don't understand why having a default attribute is a bad thing, or what the downside is. If you do have a default, you can ALWAYS overwrite it. Conversely, I DO see the downside in NOT having a default attribute - it makes far more work, as EVERYTHING has to be re-entered.

And in your case Verlin, EVERY note you have where you checked the boxes will have to be rewritten, due to the FIXED attribute properties.

Keith

#16 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

Keith,the steps explained in my last post are a way to use an existing detail where the notes have been checked without rewriting anything.

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#17 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:22 AM

Ahh ... makes sense.

Keith

#18 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:52 PM

I have edited some of the above posts, as I was incorrect in some assumptions, as I had mistakenly exploded the original created symbol, not parts of the original drawing.

However, Tech Support have agreed that this particular drawing/symbol is exhibiting some odd behaviour, and forwarded it to Development.

To make it work, create it as a symbol - then WITHOUT INSERTING a new symbol, explode it. Open the symbol library, delete the first symbol that you created, and create it again from the exploded original. It will then function correctly without attributes.

Tech Support have also explained why they need to have BLANK attributes, and I in turn, have agreed NOT to mention it negatively again.

Keith

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: details

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users