#1 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOrange Park, Florida

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

I have seen a few posts about users installing the new 2016 version and am very eager and anxious to join them!

If anyone has upgraded to 2016 already, did you purchase it outright or were you part of the SoftPlan+ subscription service? If you purchased it outright, did you do so at the Builder's Show?

I am a little disappointed that SoftPlan has not offered the upgrade to the SoftPlan+ subscribers. I was hoping that would be one of the added benefits to a SoftPlan+ subscription. :(

I guess they are catering to anyone that may have seen it or purchased it at the Builder's Show, in order to keep the new customer excitement going, and I get that....but as a long time user of SoftPlan, I could not be more excited and eager to get my hands on it!

SoftPlan, will you please consider rolling out the 2016 upgrade to your loyal SoftPlan+ subscribers??!! Thank you in advanced!!!

• Warren Ducote likes this

#2 Vince Caron

Vince Caron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:56 AM

Tommy,

I am a + subscriber, and with no other notice, I received a notice of upcoming delivery (for Thursday) from UPS , then yesterday received an email 

$0 amount due invoice for 2016+ and key from Softplan.

That's all I know right now.

So, I'm thinking that + users will be seeing the same notice soon?

Vince Caron

#3 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:12 AM

Vince,

Thank you for the update! That is GREAT NEWS!

At least now I know it will be on the way soon!

SoftPlan, in the back of my mind, I knew you were taking care of your existing customers as you always have! THANK YOU!

#4 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

I am also a Softplan Plus user and I have heard nothing. I was under the impression that we would be the first to get the new upgrade when it was ready. 

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

I was under the impression that they would just mass e-mail all the Softplan+ subscribers with the download link. However, thinking about it, that would probably crash the servers with us all downloading at the same time!!!!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 John Honea

John Honea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:39 AM

I received my UPS package and downloaded and installed last night.  To my knowledge, they are starting to move now.  Remember, we used to be a month or two behind the new buyers at the shows.  That doesn't seem to be the case this time.  It is moving, just hold tight.  On the install, block off a couple of hours.  It will probably take that if you allow it to migrate the system settings and projects from 2014.  Mine installed clean.  During the migration, it may look like it stalled.  It didn't.  Let it run.

#7 John Honea

John Honea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:40 AM

And Keith is very likely right.  This is a 1.2 gb download.  It WILL take awhile.  And crashing the servers if they had a huge push would be a strong possibility.

#8 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:51 PM

I received my UPS package and downloaded and installed last night.  To my knowledge, they are starting to move now.  Remember, we used to be a month or two behind the new buyers at the shows.  That doesn't seem to be the case this time.  It is moving, just hold tight.  On the install, block off a couple of hours.  It will probably take that if you allow it to migrate the system settings and projects from 2014.  Mine installed clean.  During the migration, it may look like it stalled.  It didn't.  Let it run.

John,

I just want to know how you got to be one of the first ones??  :ph34r:

#9 John Honea

John Honea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

I honestly have no idea. I've been trying to figure out the same, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. LOL

I've been updating what I'm finding so for on SPLINE on Facebook.  I'll see about doing an overall summary on here this evening of what I've found so far.  What I will say is this.  Since starting Softplan on Version 10, I think I would say this may be one of the most significant upgrades I've seen in the evolution of the program.  It's huge.  The new automation options are going to be incredible time savers that truly make the output seem MUCH more professional.  The Master Plan Templates.  Just wow.  Used it the first time on a plan.  It's amazing!  Opened the saved template, all of my drawings mapped in, the drawings were labeled, the numbering was done.  All I had to do was some slight moving around in some cases to fit the borders better but it was amazing.  Huge!

I'm also starting a new plan fresh in this tonight so I'll be digging much deeper.

• Thomas Davis and Harry Staab like this

#10 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

John - I must say that I've been looking forward to this release more than previous ones.  I haven't received my UPS notification yet but am hopeful that I will get it soon.  I need some of these updates for current projects.  Thanks for posting about your findings so far.  It's good to know that it seems to be living up to all that we hoped it would be.

#11 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:43 PM

John got his early cuz he's an ass kisser!!!   JK John....you know I love ya!!!  :)

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:53 AM

Not sure why we need a delivery, or why "we" are waiting for deliveries. Isn't this supposed to be a download? I understand we might get manuals delivered, but we don't need them to install, and I'll bet most of us don't even read them.

• Gary Hood likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#13 Chris Stewart

Chris Stewart

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:36 AM

Maybe the manual is still printed?

All comments are my opinion only and may or may not be correct
-Chris

#14 John Honea

John Honea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:54 PM

The manual that comes with this one is a bit different.  It's just the smaller "how to draw a house" manual and a brochure that breaks down the changes.  There is also the letter for where to download from.

Again, I can't stress this enough, with the size of this download, they must stage the updates some.  It's 1.2 gb per download and if everyone suddenly was able to download their upgrades, I can assure you, it WOULD crush their servers.  

Also, some advice for multiple computer people.  Rather than do the 1.2 gb download on each and every computer, just download it once.  Then use your home network, a USB key, portable hard drive, something like this, to move it to the other computers.  This will save you time and will save their servers so it doesn't drag their resources.  It worked great here that way.

#15 Ron Mejeur

Ron Mejeur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationKalalmazoo, Mi

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:48 PM

I received my book today and downloaded and started processing.  I've read where it will take 3-5 hours to setup but mine seems to be stuck at downloading additional content.  It's been there for about 1-1/2 hours without showing any movement in the bar that usually shows progress.  Is this normal??

Ron Mejeur

#16 John Honea

John Honea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:31 PM

I think Jeff Ribnik had that same issue.  I know he was dealing with it yesterday, not sure if he's gotten it worked out.  I'll ask him tomorrow.

#17 Jeff Ribnik

Jeff Ribnik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationColumbus, georgia

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:31 AM

John, still not resolved yet, but Colin in Softplan tech support is doing a great job guiding me until we find a fix. BTW, I thought it was perhaps a problem with my older desktop computer, but the Surface Pro is getting error messages as well. I'll keep you posted. From everything you say, it's worth waiting for.

#18 Ron Mejeur

Ron Mejeur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationKalalmazoo, Mi

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:31 PM

Last night I downloaded again and reset everything.  I restarted the loading and came to the same box.  For some reason it doesn't show that its making any progress.  I let it run during the night and when I checked this morning it said the program was loaded and needed to restart the computer.  I guess I was too impatient, but it does seem like it would show something to let you know it's still processing.  Mine looked like it stopped processing.

• John Honea likes this

Ron Mejeur

#19 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

I think that all programs should have some type of scale or graphic showing you the progress all the time. To many programs leave you hanging not knowing if it's really working or not. A spinning wheel is not an answer.

#20 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

At a couple of points during the install there are two separate dialogs that show progress.  You're probably looking at the first dialog while the progress for a given section is displaying on the other.  The second dialog can get pushed behind other windows on the screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users