#1 Harry Staab

Harry Staab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:12 AM

Is anyone else experience significantly slower PDF exports? When exporting plan sets (all pages, or single), I'm seeing very long export times. On 3 office PCs, all assuredly speedy, it has been taking up to 30 minutes to export a single plan set (about 10 pages). On 1 PC (of course it's mine) there have been instances where it doesn't want to export at all.

I fiddled around with our borders, whether title blocks are local or network referenced, etc. I've discovered that floor plans will export pretty normally, but any drawings with lots more linework are a drag. Some elevations, simple ones it seems, are ok. Bigger projects with lots of different hatches and linework are having trouble. Pages full of detail drawings are very slow.

SoftPlan seems to be "thinking", using some system resources I can monitor via task manager, but it is disappointingly slow. I've let SoftPlan know with a few support tickets, but hope someone here may have some advice or have found a solution.

Any suggestions?

ahp-horizontal-houseplans-180.png?15058

#2 Jim Crook

Jim Crook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationGravenhurst, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:56 AM

Harry, while not a solution to the Softplan issue, maybe a temporary solution would be

to use a third party PDF printer program like Cute PDF until SP comes up with a fix ?

Cute is free and works great.

JimC

#3 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:06 AM

I have exported several plans - both single sheets and full plans - and have not noticed any slow down, especially to the degree that you are talking about.  You might check to make sure nothing is running in the background that can cause this... just a thought...

#4 Harry Staab

Harry Staab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Scratching my head since this doesn't appear to be entirely SoftPlan's issue given your lack of the issue, but unsure since this is repeatable over multiple PCs in the office. I will take your advice to use CutePDF, though it is too bad you can't print a full plan set to a single file, or can you?

#5 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:48 AM

I have noticed slower PDF exports also but have not had any as bad as 30 minutes. Sometimes it even looks like SoftPlan froze but I wait it out and it comes back.

#6 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

Harry,

smallpdf.com has a nifty free "MERGE PDF" utility ... as well as a number of other PDF related utilities...

#7 Harry Staab

Harry Staab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:54 PM

I've got acrobat pro, so merging them isn't a problem. Thanks for the ideas.

#8 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Scratching my head since this doesn't appear to be entirely SoftPlan's issue given your lack of the issue, but unsure since this is repeatable over multiple PCs in the office. I will take your advice to use CutePDF, though it is too bad you can't print a full plan set to a single file, or can you?

Right click on the Plan Set in the navigation window .... export PDF ... all pages.  All pages are sent to a single PDF file. 

#9 Tom McConnell

Tom McConnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationSaint Augustine, Florida

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:45 PM

2016 pdf export very slow. Maybe even slower after moving project to new location on hard drive.

SoftPlan+ 2021
SP since 2012, AutoCAD since 1994
OS - Windows 10.0 Pro 64 Bit
CPU - AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12-CORE
MB - ASUS ROG Strix X570-E
RAM - CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB DDR4
Graphics - ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 570 O4G Gaming OC Edition
3 - ASUS MX279H 27 Inch LED Monitors
3Dconnexion CadMouse
Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Keyboard

#10 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:25 PM

Yes, Much slower that 2014.   ???????????????????????????

#11 Brian Ficek

Brian Ficek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND 58501

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:33 PM

I have noticed it is slower plus I have had a couple of times after it was done exporting upon opening the pdf file I would get an error and only about half the drawing would show up.

Fine Line Drafting & Design
Brian Ficek
215 Airport Road
Bismarck, ND 58501
www.facebook.com/FineLineDrafting.Bismarck.nd
www.fineline-drafting.com

SoftPlan user since version 9 (2003)
Current SoftPlan - SoftPlan+ 2018
AutoCAD user since R12 (1992)
Current AutoCAD - AutoCAD 2019 LT

#12 Ron Mejeur

Ron Mejeur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationKalalmazoo, Mi

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

I've never exported to pdf.  I have pdf995 that I use as a printer driver.  Just specify where I want the file printed and it's done.  Works quickly and never have had any issues.

Ron Mejeur

#13 Brian Ficek

Brian Ficek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:59 PM

I've never exported to pdf.  I have pdf995 that I use as a printer driver.  Just specify where I want the file printed and it's done.  Works quickly and never have had any issues.The

The nice thing about Softplans export to PDF is you don't have to select the file location.  It defaults to the project directory you are working on.  I used PDF995 too and it worked good but I hated it when I forgot to change the directory.

Brian Ficek
215 Airport Road
Bismarck, ND 58501

#14 Harry Staab

Harry Staab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:53 AM

I made two copies of a simple project and conducted an experiment. Exporting 8 pages to a single PDF using SoftPlan's "export PDF" function, 2014 took about 45 seconds while 2016 took at least 20 minutes. I uploaded both versions to SoftPlan+ support and they confirmed that they were able to replicate this issue. It is a relief to know that it's not just our office, but it is certainly slowing down our workflow significantly. I encourage everyone who is having similar issues to make it known to SoftPlan so that this is fixed soon.

#15 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

Did they fix this?  Reason I ask is I just tried and it worked as fast if not faster then V2014

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#16 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:18 AM

I've only tried it on concept sets and not a full set yet. It seems okay to me. Still getting huge file sizes due to using multi-format notes. Wish it would compress the final files better.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#17 Harry Staab

Harry Staab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

Very interesting to me that some of us have issues and others have none. There hasn't been a patch and it is still a problem for us. I wonder what the common denominator is for us problem exporters..

It seems to me there must be something about our drawings that SP doesn't like. I can export a blank plan set (with borders) without issue, but any attempt to export with a floor plan is slow. Some simple pages, like some elevations, exports ok. Perhaps it just doesn't like projects that were started in 2014. I haven't yet had the opportunity to do a project from scratch in 2016..

Hmmm... hmm indeed!

#18 Brian Ficek

Brian Ficek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

Wow I can’t believe it took 20 minutes.  Mine seems a bit slower but not that dramatic.

Brian Ficek
215 Airport Road
Bismarck, ND 58501

#19 Harry Staab

Harry Staab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:04 PM

At first I didn't think it worked at all, so I would impatiently have to force close a project after several minutes. After a couple other drafters at my office reported that theirs worked, slowly, I began to let it sit, while working on other projects. 20 minutes is an accurate report for most exports I've attempted.

#20 Ron Mejeur

Ron Mejeur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationKalalmazoo, Mi

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

Just tried export with a 5 page 24x36 plan set with a fair amount of detail and it took approx. 4 min.

Ron Mejeur

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: export, pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users