#1 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationBirnie, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

I know I have posted about this before, but I can't quite forget it.

I find that the continuous clicking and typing is affecting my wrist and would really like to make the SoftTalk work if possible. When it works, it is great, but my problem is that it always quits after 15 to 30 minutes. Tech support has suggested trying different speech recognition software, but they don't have any recommendation for something that might work. I've been using windows Speech Recognition App on my desktop. 

My question is, "Is there anybody out there who has tried  different speech recognition software that works with SoftTalk?"

I was hopeful that Dragon might, but it doesn't.

Any help would be appreciated.

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#2 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:12 AM

Not a direct answer to your question, but if your wrists are bothering you have you tried switching to a vertical or ergonomic mouse? I was having bad wrist pain and it fixed my problem. I have had success with the Logitech Performance MX and also the Evoluent VerticalMouse. Might be worth a try. Good Luck!!

#3 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:00 AM

I have used the Evoluent for a few years and like it very much.

However, I have had to trash 2 of them because they have weak or defective springs.

A single mouse click was becoming a double mouse click.

They let me replace them for 1/2 price - so buy direct from Evoluent web site.

They are much easier on the wrist.

#4 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

Thank-you for your responses, I also use an Evoluent mouse and really like it and am hopeful that together with a bit of physical therapy the issue will be manageable.

I don't know how the rest of you find it, but I find that one of the hardest part of this job is all the sitting. I now use a Salli saddle chair and that has made a big difference for my back and neck. I also find that I am more alert thru the day. 

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#5 Ben Ginther

Ben Ginther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

So then, is your worktable/desk top about 42" from the floor?

#6 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

It's about 36" which is elbow height for me with my chair height set so that my feet are flat on the floor.

42" would be about right for standing. The saddle chair is kind of half between standing and sitting. It took awhile to get to the point where I could use it all day. I've had it now for just over a year and even now my seat still gets a little sore. If I did it over and could afford it I would likely get the more expensive model that has a seat with adjustable width.

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#7 Dan Turner

Dan Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationConyers, Georgia

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

Hi Verlin...and all.....

I grabbed SoftTalk along with the recent upgrade to 2018 and am giving both a work out.

I've got the LogiTech H800 wireless and seem to be running into the same issue that others are reporting back for the past couple of years.  I was wondering if my issue was indeed the wireless configuration with the receiver key plugged in within six feet of my work site and headset.  I was considering just getting a hard wire headset with just a mic and leaving the audio alone while plugging into the mic jack directly to eliminate the situation....or whether others are using a wired mic/headset and still reporting a loss of voice recognition after a little time in each session.

I didn't expect the wireless unit to lose the charge in 10 to 12 hours of use & standby; and not that thrilled with the 3 hours recharge time involved....which I've phased into plugging into a multi-port USB charging duplicator that gets the LogiTech unit plugged in for a full charge if the red light appears on the headset.  

I've worked with low watt/upper mega-giga hertz range transceivers over the years and know that they can flake out quickly once the charge gets to a low point and thought perhaps the H800 is doing the same...even with the receiver within arms length and was hoping a hardwire would fix that so I can carry on as I'm getting used to when ST is working 100%.

I've also noted that the Windows Speech Recognition module is a bit flaky of it's own volition.  As I'll do on most occasions, allow my workstation (lenovo d20) to coast along all night to do it's back up; de-frag; update windows and lenovo versions between set hours at night.  But for the past two mornings, I've had to re-boot just to get Win Speech Recognition to open as I had set it to OFF.....hoping that ON would be nothing more than a clik of the mouse.  As for ST/SP there will sometimes pop up two or more ST status indicators in the toolbars area....for reasons unknown.

Not that I'm one for hammering on SoftPlan....they're intuitively prone to make good changes in their versions while awaiting to authorize a bug-fix if the complaints are there.  However...this is an exception.  I've read similar complaints that go back a few years...with loyal users GIVING UP on the expensive module because it just got in the way of trying to optimize the worth of the product...which to me, is NOT having to scroll across the screen for menus not in my floating tool bar...or having to shift eye sighting from drawing mode to trying to pick the right action icon from another pull down menu which could lead to another pull down menu.

The SoftTalk concept is sound (pun intended)...but given that the product is placed on every version of SoftPlan for quite a few versions now...having purchased it and used it.....I'm less than impressed in it staying up with me during a work day and the scarcity of anything that I can find from SoftPlan in addressing these common issues that go back a few years for the users aboard here.  I've noted quite a few members that HAVE HAD to go into SoftTalk for physical issues which compounds this problem even more.  Almost $400 for a SoftPlan module with the least amount of support online; in the damn book or the staid response about it being a user problem or Windows issue.

Negative.  I've got 50 number crunching programs that cover the gamut of what I do....and NONE of them are in failure due to "user problem or Windows issue."  I got the same dumb response when PLUS looked through my system and saw my NVIDIA Quad 4000 graphics card and said...."you need a different graphics card."  Uh no.....I didn't need a different graphics card for the years that I've been running it on SoftPlan and EVERY OTHER program.  If there's a glitch, it's not a USER problem...it's obviously a manufacturer issue that should have been worked through considering the overwhelming popularity of NVIDIA products on all manners of working computers.  Ditto for SoftTalk...there seems to be a common problem for a variety of users with the only malfunctioning aspect in view.....SoftTalk.

Heck...I even asked for the manual or any supporting documentation when I purchased to be sent along with the DVD of 2018 two weeks ago and the response was NO response.  Plug and play is one thing...but there wasn't a road map to go by with regards to pulling down the driver to work with Windows.  Not that I'm a simpleton....but the whole module is lacking support; documentation; troubleshooting....even a specific forum so they can pick up on the moans, groans and bitching....and then FIX IT or come up with the firing solution for others to work with.

There's a forum here in SPLASH for "Remodel" with one user comment or question since 2016.

There would, could and should be a SoftTalk forum for those already purchased; those considering the purchase and those that are trying to validate WHY the product is even sold for $400 if it's not going to work just to gather details and data so someone can compile and come up with some solutions or a fix.

Speech Recognition is the way of the world...SOFTPLAN.   A little help would be in order for those guys and gals that are voicing their problems and not getting anywhere for the last bunch of years.  I'm happy to give up my wireless if that's an issue, it was a pre-SofTalk purchase....but I've no support or supporting evidence to give a consensus to that being the case.  Capice?

Thanks Verlin for bringing the topic back up again this quarter since your last quarter 2015 comments.  I plan to copy/paste my concerns from here over in the Product Suggestions as well as send over to PLUS assist to see about some positive response, directives or even suggestions.  However...it shouldn't take this route to get something started for those that made the purchase and then gave up using their $400 investment altogether.  Sorry for going over the edge, but when I read from users about giving up on SofTalk in order to purchase a mouse that is more conducive to their carpal tunnel; arthritic conditions or other upper arm to wrist and finger maladies....it's time to make some noise.

Dan Turner, CPBD

#8 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:01 AM

Nice to hear that I am not the only one that has issues with SoftTalk. I was thinking of trying it again in 2018, hoping that it was fixed, but sounds like a waste of time. I know that using shortcuts on the keyboard is fast, and I use a lot of them,but I still  think it would be faster using SoftTalk if SoftPlan would get it to work properly.

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#9 Dan Turner

Dan Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationConyers, Georgia

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:31 PM

Give this a try....Control Panel/ Speech Recognition/ Advanced Speech Options/ Under Speech Recognition tab.....add a New Profile in the Recognition Profiles.

Just give it a name and a limited amount of "training" and let SoftTalk do all the learning.

I found that little topic in an obscure thread dealing with Win.7....gave it a shot and put in an hour straight this morning before having to disconnect.

I seem to recall some of that topic involved a profile for each one of your work locations....possibly to work through and around ambient noise picked up in the mic.

I hope it cures ya.  It may simply be a temporary success...but it's a directive that could have been part of the SoftTalk purchase if it's a viable solution.

Good luck Verlin!

Dan Turner, CPBD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: speech recognition, SoftTalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users