#1 Mark Pacey

Mark Pacey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationEspanola, ON

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

I have a very complex roof design which has been done by my truss designer using Mitek Sapphire.
What I want to do is import that file into Sketchup Pro, and convert it to a 3D symbol, and import into Softplan.
Has anyone ever done this?
I am not sure whether Sapphire has the ability to export 3D files in a format that will be readable by Sketchup.

Thanks

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

I've done it with a timber frame, but our timber frame suppliers drew the original in Sketchup, so it was very simple.

I suspect that Mitek can only export as mxf. and it's VERY unlikely that you'll be able to import it into anything that will convert it for Softplan use. However, I'm curious, so I've put the question to our truss suppliers who also use Mitek software. I'll see what I get back.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Mark Pacey

Mark Pacey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationEspanola, ON

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

Thank you, Keith.
I'm pretty sure Mitek has other export capabilities, but the documentation is only available to registered users, and my truss designer has limited knowledge of the software outside of what he normally uses day-to-day.

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

Okay, according to Mitek Support (Thank you, Braeden), the Structure program will save layout files to DWG, DXF, ETP, IFC, MXF, PDF, and TBK. By default the files are .MMDL.

I don't believe that the FREE Sketchup can import any of those formats, although the PRO version can handle DWG or DXF ... So if you have PRO, you should be good to go.

There's also the possibility that an intermediate program could convert to a usable format, however, it's getting seriously more complicated.

Ignore me ... I'm an idiot ...

Since Mitek Sapphire can export to DWG, the you can create a Softplan symbol directly from the 3D.DWG file without bothering with Sketchup. Should be a piece of cake!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#5 Mark Pacey

Mark Pacey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationEspanola, ON

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

I've asked my designer to send me a dwg file, but i'm wondering now whether it will be a 2d drawing, or a 3d file.
3d is what I'm after. I'm hoping it will help in generating my cross sections

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:48 PM

Typically, the Mitek file is a 3D, and should export as a 3D.

Keith

#7 Keith Owens

Keith Owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

I design with Structure as well, and as Keith mentioned, the symbol is easily created from the dwg file. However, depending on what you're using it for you may want to just install the Mitek Viewer application on your pc (you can also use it on an iPad or iPhone). It is free to download. The viewer lets you see the model and the individual trusses the same way it does in Structure - you just need to have the designer send you the .mmdl file. If you want to use a drawing of the actual truss for a section, the designer could always send you a dwg of the specific truss. That's what I do with my sections. Below are examples from some apartments that I have done.

Symbol in Softplan

Roof Symbol.jpg

Model in Viewer

Viewer Model.jpg

Engineered Drawing.jpg

#8 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

I checked with the people I use for floor and roof trusses. I have been getting them to sent me DXF files of the shop drawing to create 2D images for section details. I will do some more digging on the subject of getting a 3D model in one of the AutoCAD formats or something Sketchup will recognize.

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#9 Mark Pacey

Mark Pacey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationEspanola, ON

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

I've been using 2d trusses for a while by extracting individual trusses from the pdf report I get with every truss design.
It works well with a bit of cleaning up and removing text; I turn it into a 2D symbol and place it in my sections.

What I'm after is as was shown by Keith Owens above, using the complete roof structure.
Keith, can that "model" be extracted from the Sapphire Viewer somehow once I have the .mmdl file?

Exactly how would you export from Sapphire in a format that would work.
My truss designer admits he is not "tech savvy" with computers and has never tried such a thing before.
Do you need to be in the 3D mode in order to "save as" or "export" to a 3d dwg?

I'm thinking that sketchup pro might be the cleanest way to erase the bearing elements that I would have already done in Softplan.

#10 Keith Owens

Keith Owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:49 AM

He would need to select the output tab in 3D mode and choose "Save View As", and save as a dwg file. Once the symbol is created in Softplan you can turn off the visibility of certain elements, change the colors or textures, adjust opacity, etc.

#11 Mark Pacey

Mark Pacey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationEspanola, ON

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

Thanks so much, guys.
I've forwarded this to my truss designer.

I appreciate all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users