#21 Sam Allen

Sam Allen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

I'm curious....does anyone really believe that every house they design is "completely original"? I don't think I've ever had a customer that didn't already have ideas about different areas of the home they think they want.  They have a master suite they like and a kitchen they like and a living area they like....but they are all ideas from different homes and from different areas of the country.  All of their ideas evolve (with a lot of help from us) into a "new home"... but it grew from ideas from other architects, designers and builders to some extent. I don't think anyone is really re-inventing the home design wheel.

What do you think??

#22 Guest_Derrik Bauer_*

Guest_Derrik Bauer_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

I have had two in the last year that are definitely completely original.  Both customers are trying to reinvent the wheel!  Neither had ever seen or heard of anything like what they wanted.  (Nor have I)  Really unique styles, with equally unique goals.  These types of designs are so much fun to work on, but are really really really rare to come across.  Neither of these projects even look like a house!

But, to your point, I agree completely.  Most designs have an inspiration borrowed from somewhere.  

#23 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

forgot to tell you all that this is a first for me so any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

btw,  I do have a lot of experience in designing custom homes for clients.

including 5 years of accredited architectural college in california

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#24 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

Randy-I too had the architectural schooling and out of it went and worked with a custom designer and portfolio book producer (stock plans) for 7 years.  Then for the past 18 years I worked with productions builders.  All that to say that no matter what people tell you it is all different with stock plans and marketing towards production builders as well.  It is all about cost and pricing.  Builders and designers are a love-hate relationship.  They will love you until it cost them money. ;-) 

Anything insight that I can offer let me know.  If you want to me to critique a couple of your first ones I would be glad to give you pointers.  

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#25 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

btw,

we'll try to design homes that'll fit on the smaller lots with

all plans having options for larger lots.

1 stories with options for 2nd stories or

services to add to the existing plans

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users