#1 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:41 AM

Why is it that with all possible options we still now a day can't dimension a wall to multiple points. Example; a concrete basement wall with a 2" x 4" wall, you either have to dimensions to the stud wall or the concrete. Why not both? Unless this has changed in 2016 but I doubt it?

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:45 AM

That would happen only if you've created a custom concrete wall with a 2 X 4 wall.   I draw mine separately and I've been able to dimension to both since V13

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

I too would like to dimension to both. At the moment I only dimension to the concrete, that way at least if the concrete guys get it right, the framers can't really make too many errors.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationOrange Park, Florida

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:12 AM

I agree this can be a challenge. 

In a custom defined wall with both a 12" concrete base wall and a stud wall sitting on top of that wall, you can only define one "display height" and that will either show the concrete wall outline or the stud wall outline on the drawing which directly relates to where you set the "display height" line.

There needs to be a way to allow more than one wall material to show on the drawing at the same time when "stacked" on top of each other.

It seems like this would be easily achievable, if the "display height" showed everything that appeared below the "display height" specified.

You could then set the "display height" at the stud wall level and it would also show the concrete wall below. 

If this were allowed, then you could easily dimension to all components.

With the current situation, I think drawing two walls is the best way to go, even though that is likely to present other issues.

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

If this were allowed, then you could easily dimension to all components.

The way Softplan work at the moment though, no matter how complex the wall, you can only dimension (or create an extension) to 2 points. Dimensioning to outside/inside/both of any components, and allowing multiple dimension points through any wall should be easy enough to do.

• Yvon Gonthier likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationOrange Park, Florida

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:06 AM

Keith,

Now, I see what you are saying. I just tested my theory and you are correct. It does not work.

Specifying "inside, outside, or both" of multiple wall components is possible in the wall definition, but it does not allow you to pull extensions or dimension from those multiple points specified.

It will still only pull from TWO points as you said.

In its current state, I don't know why it allows you to select multiple options when it will only work for TWO. Seems like if it will only reference TWO points, then the other options should "grey out" or something, and not be available, so it more clearly showed you which TWO were going to be dominant.

It really needs to work as we all want it to, where multiple items can be specified and actual dimensions / extension can be pulled from the "inside, outside, or both" specifications we assigned in the wall definition.

• Yvon Gonthier likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users