• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Revelli

Steve Revelli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:05 AM

My friend approached me the other and said she purchased a shipping container to make into a home.

I was wondering if anyone has done one in the past and what you are using for the exterior walls or know how to build one- I have built other walls but not sure what to use for the metal wall.

I think this will be a fun project to do, she is very exited as this will be their retirement home.

thanks 

#2 D M

D M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Location..

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

A quick internet search brought this ..

https://www.containe...container-home/

.. invariably, someone will have a simpler solution.

#3 Steve Revelli

Steve Revelli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

I meant the walls for 3D. sorry for the confusion 

#4 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

I would just figure out what your wall assembly is going to be and the related thicknesses of each part. For the container wall itself, just find out how thick the ribbing is and the overall depth and set that for your siding thickness. Then in 3D you can use a vertical siding or metal corrugated roofing or other texture to show it. Of course, you could also download a shipping container model from SketcchUp 3D warehouse and use that with walls inside it for the actual model. You can set your siding in the SP wall definition to be the same thickness of the shipping container walls and turn off visibility of siding in 3D so the container model shows instead. Only issue is you will have to cut the holes for doors and windows in the shipping container while in SketchUp before importing. Want to get darn close the first time as it may be tedious to move an opening in a revision depending on the level of detail for the shipping container model. Then align it with your SP model and "boom" you've got a shipping container house!

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users