Photo

how modify length of just one side of a triangle?

dimension polygon shapes distance setdistancebetween

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Softplan Newbie

Softplan Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

For a triangle,  I want to modify the length of just one side but not change the lengths of the other sides.

e.g. if lengths in a right triangle are 3,4,5 feet and I change the 5 to 5.5,  I want the 3' side to remain at 3', and the 4' side to remain 4' but rotate a little to accommodate

the longer hypotenuse. 

I've tried  Shapes-Line, Shapes-Circles at each point and Dimension-Measure, and Dimension-SetDistanceBetween  but the triangle always breaks at the corners.

I didn't see an option such as  "Protect Length" for the triangle edges. so it's a lot of trial and error to get it to work. 

Is there a clean simple way to do this in Softplan?

#2 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:11 AM

Here's ​one way. Explode the triangle and then edit the hypotenuse to 5'6". Now Draw circles that start from the each vertex. Each circle radius will be the length of the triangle side. Now adjust the ends of each segment to end at the intersection of the circles. You'll obviously need to have snaps on to make this work.

Attached Thumbnails

• 345.JPG

• Tom Rogers likes this

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:57 PM

If you are actually using a triangle, intersecting a 5'6" arc and a 3' arc and (as Philip did), and then adjusting the node of the triangle with snaps enabled will do it. I don't believe any CAD system will do it for you. As long as you know exactly where you are moving the point, you can make it snap to it.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Softplan Newbie

Softplan Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

Thanks.  Yep, that's the way I've been doing it. 

I was hoping there was a simpler way than constructing circles then having to delete them. 

#5 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:11 PM

Nice job Phillip with old school high school geometry.  See kids it was worth learning, you do use it later in life.  :D

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dimension, polygon, shapes, distance, setdistancebetween

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users