Doug Stephenson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWinchester, Kentucky

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:18 AM

Good morning.

I am in the process of downloading SoftPlan 2018. (I am using another computer to write this so I don't mess up) It was prompted to copy projects, symbols, etc.. to 2018.  I don't have any concerns with anything but projects.Will I still be able to work on the projects in 2016?

Doug

#2 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:47 AM

I don't think that copying the projects will affect it but any projects that you will open with 2018 will not open with 2016 after.

#3 Doug Stephenson

Doug Stephenson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

Good morning Yvon.

Basically I want to download 2018 and begin new and add projects once I'm comfortable with use.

I really don'y want to mess up. I almost cried during a hard drive failure. I do back up projects on external hard drive.

Doug

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:19 AM

They should function as standalone applications. Just make sure that you install to a specific directory, so you don't mix them up. As Yvon says, if you open a 2016 drawing in 2018, you will no longer be able to open it in 2018.

I would like a function similar to AutoCad, where you can save as an earlier version. That way if you opened it in the wrong one, you could easily go to Save As 2016 and restore it. I also have a Consultant who uses 2016 , so I have to work on certain projects in 2016 exclusively, which is very confusing.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

Don't know if this would help but if you have specific directory as per Keith (different folders) for 2018 and 2016, you could setup in the System Options of 2016 and 2018 a different Drawing Location for where they open the plans. Still have to be very careful but might help.

#6 Harald Schwegel

Harald Schwegel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

When you migrate 2016 projects during the 2018 install process, the files are copied to the 2018 installation. Your 2016 installation remains completely intact and independent of the 2018 installation - the only change being that the folder is renamed.  You can still open / work on / save your 2016 projects in the 2016 program.  At the same time, you can open / work on / save 2018 projects (including those 2016 projects which were copied to the 2018 folder during the migration process) in the 2018 program.  Hovering over a Project on the SoftPlan Start Page will show you the full path to the project files, so there shouldn't be any confusion as to where the project is located / what version it is.

It is strongly recommended to always open any / all projects from within the SoftPlan program in which they are to be saved.  Remember that double clicking on a file will open it in the most recent install of the SoftPlan program, regardless of what version it was last saved in or its location.  This is a limitation of the Windows operating system and not something we have any control over.   

If you should accidentally open a project in the wrong (newer) version, DO NOT SAVE. Close the program and then delete the project (.spp) file.  Open the project in the previous version, the project file will be recreated and you will be able to access your drawing(s).  However, once drawings have been saved in a later version there is no going back.

• John Jones and Brent Hyndman like this

#7 Doug Stephenson

Doug Stephenson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:35 AM

It is wonderful to have the response and positive information from everyone.

My main concern is that I don't know what to expect in 2018. I'm sure I'll be fine.

Will download tomorrow after I put everyone's hair that is on fire out today.

Thank you.

Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users