4 replies to this topic

#1 Jacob Kuiken

Jacob Kuiken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:38 AM

I'm new to Softplan, switching from AutoCAD. Our company designs a lot of homes with this "westcoast/shed" style roof. I am bumping into so many issues when it comes to maintaining a roof design.

1. I've drawn the shed roof and have had it working but every time I make changes to the plan (to things that aren't even roof related or would IMO affect the roof) it adds more planes and/or adds this "rim" around the underside of the perimeter of the roof... Is there away to make this go a lot more smoother? This has become increasingly frustrating as I'm spending more time figuring out the roof issues than anything else. Have I approached the design incorrectly? I started by setting the hip walls to the height I'd like them to be and then assumed the roof would start at that height and then I'd just adjust wall height to fit roof from there. (I've attached an image of what I'm looking at, at this moment... again, it's supposed to only be one plane. I've tried matching roof planes in the edit toolbar and it just doesn't work on this latest change.)
  2. I also have this separate roof over the entry area, it constantly keeps dropping below my columns and beam and separating from the soffit. Is there away to prevent this or maybe lock it in place?
  3. Also, is there a way to add cross section lines to a roof plan?
  4. I saved a separate file named roof so that I can add it to my plan sets in roof mode, but it doesn't stay updated with the actual file I update, what is the best way to work around this 
  5. Is there a truss detail for this design? I've tried drawing in trusses and nothing has really looked like what this design uses. I've had to adjust the thickness of the shed to 18" as this is the depth of our trusses. Is this the way to do this?

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it!

AOldridge

Attached Files

AOldridge

#2 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:01 PM

The only thing I can help you with right now is you can fix the rafter so it sits on the top plate by editing "heal height".  It will change everytime you change slope and sometime if you change a wall height.  Heal height should be a fixed point but instead it moves around to try and keep the facia continuous.

#3 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:43 PM

Please create a Suport Ticket to get assistance on your roof.  There is no need to create a copy of the plan so the roof can be added to the plan set 0 th esame drawing can be added to the Plan Set twice, once in draiwng mode and once in roof mode.

#4 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:38 PM

Have you tried using the cut hole command to get rid of the parts of the roof you don’t want?

#5 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

Do you have a view or a design elevation that shows what you are trying to achieve to post? My first guess would be your lollipops are not at the correct wall to pull from.  Try getting it set and turning off cleanup on the roof.  Doesn't really "solve" the problem but should stop it from flipping back.  Also check your beam height and that the roof is pulling from the column and beams and not a wall.  

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shed roof, westcoast style, same plane, roof with jogs, cross sections, truss detail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users