23 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:08 PM

Anyone else experiencing mouse/cursor lag when opening and closing project in 2020?  Happens every time I open or close a project here.

#2 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:43 PM

Yes.  so far it's not much of a bother.

#3 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:21 PM

Yeah...only happening when opening and closing so its ok but hopefully something a patch can fix.  

#4 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:00 AM

I'm not entirely sure that it's a SP problem, at least on my computer.   I'm also using a 1060 and am happy with it.  I'm running win 10 64.  But I've noticed lately that my computer will occasionally see to go to sleep for a second or two.  I usually notice this with I'm typing something and the letters stop appearing then all of a sudden the 4-5 letters that are missing pop up.  A long time ago I used an Apple II and it occasionally did that because it was running out of memory and was doing "garbage collection".

Something is hogging cpu time and I'd like to find out what it is before it gets to be a problem.

#5 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:58 PM

My machine just started doing that also,    type the letters and I would think whatever and 5 to 10 seconds here they come.   Just started.    and My softplan modes have been delaying, and I think I had one drawing that just wasn't going to work.  Went to another drawing that I had done a save/as from and it worked smooth. Maybe my first corrupt file?     Seems like 2018 did that when I first loaded it years back. and then straighten out soon.

#6 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

To me it feels a little like import of a DWG might be something. 

#7 Chris Proost

Chris Proost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:02 AM

Experiencing this too but what is more annoying is the lag I get from the MOVE (or COPY) command! If I select an object, whether it is text, symbol or a wall and I move my mouse too quickly after selecting it, it will drop the selected object and I have to select it again. Drives me nuts! I find myself picking the object 2 or 3 times before my brain says to slow down. Why can my brain move faster than the software? BTW, this has never happened before so it's not a hardware issue. Did it in 2018 also towards the end.

#8 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 09:15 AM

Looking for more information on this.

We'd like to see your project Fred and possibly yours too Chris if you could send us tickets for the projects you're working in.

When typing or moving, please let us know as much detail as possible as to where you are typing and what you are moving etc.

Does the lag appear from the time you open SoftPlan or does it degrade the longer that you are working in a session?

Does it appear in a particular project or in a new project with only a few walls drawn? 

Any information you can provide will help us in our attempt to recreate the issue here. Thanks guys.

#9 Chris Proost

Chris Proost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:59 AM

Brent - Support ticket #40509 sent in. It's wordy but i hope it makes sense. To answer your questions it starts as soon as I pull up the project. The plans I have been working lately have been projects that are almost complete so they are full of lines, walls, shapes and symbols.

#10 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:52 PM

I sent in a ticket 40526,   last night I reloaded 2020 and deleted one that remained on the machine. I haven't had the hesitation of the letters to print anymore. and as I put on ticket, the project I was on had a lot of trees on the 3D and maybe I had 3D open and that was building in the background?

But things seem better. but anyway you have the project. thanks

I'm assuming we are on 2020.1.7, and I have got the Beta copy deleted from the machine.

#11 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

Thanks guys. We'll take a look.

#12 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:56 PM

My issue seems to be isolated to opening and closing projects and now today also noticing it when I export to dwg and print a pdf.  Its like softplan is hogging all the computer memory so I can't do anything else while that process is going on.  Normally, I would close a project and while its uploading to the cloud I'm on a different screen doing something else.  Can't do that since downloading 2020

#13 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:24 AM

Sam, Please send us a ticket with one of the projects that is lagging. It's important that we see the project in the same state that you are having trouble with it.

#14 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:47 AM

Brent,  Its not "one" of the projects.  Its EVERY SINGLE TIME I do what I said above.  

#15 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:18 PM

Copy and move lag——It feels like it is indexing way too many “move” points and feels as if the object is “floating” especially after clicking F12
Lag when clicking to Rendering
Lag when clicking to Front/Rear/Left/Right Elevations.
Lag when changing modes, especially back and forth from area mode. Sometimes it does not change at all and have to select area mode a 2nd or even 3rd time before it switches. Reminds me when it did this a long time ago when working in multi draw.
As Sam said, this is on all Projects.

I hate to say it, but this feels like a subpar release of the software. After 20 years of using Softplan, I would hate for someone to start out in 2020. It is very disappointing so far. Hopefully they can get these bugs worked out.
  • Sam Morgan and Allen McDonnell like this

#16 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:35 PM

Please create a ticket with any one of the projects that you have experienced the lag on Jason.

With the information you have provided we will attempt to recreate the issue.

#17 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Ks

Posted 06 April 2019 - 06:48 AM

Ditto to the lag of the mouse cursor issue and I have uploaded a couple of other issues non related....the main problem is an issue with review....but I am not totally disappointed with the update....the overall new features are very nice....a long list and will take a lot of memory for an old guy like me to maintain as to where everything is located etc....

Harlon G. " Buddy " Suttle
casekc49@gmail.com
CELL: 913-339-6242

#18 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:57 PM

We found a case where the system was not using the proper video card. Although the system had an discrete card installed, it was not being utilized and instead the on-board graphics were being used and not able to perform as well as desired. The project itself was not large, there were multiple monitors connected and a high number of tabs open.

Setting SoftPlan version 2020 to utilize the proper card restored the performance to that of version 2018 which was already set-up to use the same card on this system.

Ensure that SoftPlan is utilizing the proper Video Card on your systems and that the drivers for the card are up to date.

• John Jones likes this

#19 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:19 PM

I had to get some assistance from NVIDIA, but it appears my lag when opening and closing projects is much better if not completely gone.  I'll update in a day or two.  Here's what NVIDIA had me do in case anyone else wants to try.  First...when to device manager, clicked on the display adapters, then double clicked on my video card.   Choose "roll back driver" option.  Then I downloaded the drivers over again from nvidia website, choose "custom install", check box that says "perform clean install", then restart computer.  This finally allowed me to open the NVIDIA control panel which I wasn't able to do.  That's where you can tell it to always use the NVIDIA card.  I added softplan as one of the applications and told it to always use my gtx1080.  

I'll be in the office all day tomorrow working on multiple projects, so I should know by then if the problem is fully solved.

Sam

• Jason Bishop likes this

#20 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:54 PM

Brent is referring to my system above. After some time spent on the phone with Tech support we did indeed find out SP2020 was not using Nvidia.

Now that it is changed, it is noticeably different in performance. I will report back if it performance changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users