Finished Wall Thickness

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Russ_*

Guest_Russ_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:17 PM

Interior walls, made with 2x4 studs, are 3.5" thick, but after the 1/2" sheetrock is applied, the wall is now 4.5" thick.  If I want the interior room to be 12' x 15', does the SW automatically add the inch to the 3.5" wall thickness, or do I need to make the room interior dimension 12'-1" x 15'-1"?

An architect  who drew my last house plan, used AutoCad and the interior wall thickness he used was 4.5" to allow for the sheetrock.  What does SoftPlan recommend, since 4.5" is not one of the selections?

#2 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:53 AM

If you want the program to dimension to the drywall, check extensions and dimensions for inside drywall and outside drywall in the wall definitions.
The default settings measure to the framing, but they are easy enough to change.

#3 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:11 AM

I think if you add the 3.5 studs and the 1/2" drywall and 1/2" Cdx outside you have the 4.5".

In the wall definition you can as the dimension and extention to use the drywall to measure from and would need to do the interior walls also.

this would give you a correct perfect.  I'm not sure how the "room mode" deals with room size as I don't use it to get room sizes

#4 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:24 AM

You have the option of showing the outside liners of the drywall in the wall definitions. By default Softplan shows the outside edges of the wall studs.

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#5 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:55 PM

Softplan is set up to dimension for framing    -    12'-1" x 15'-1"

You can redefine your walls to be 4 1/2" without drywall or you can redefine your dimension options to dimension to the face of the drywall.

All of this is done in wall definitions.

#6 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

I guess it does require you to define what you want to accomplish.  If you need a absolute value, say 12', then you need to account for that drywall.  I have always dimensioned to the stud but you can but define what you want under the wall definition where you can add an extension and dimension to any of the materials.  I believe what you define in the wall definition overrides what you set under the general dimension formatting.  BTW, if you want to use the general dimension formats, leave the dimension and extensions to "none" in the wall definitions.

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:03 PM

You can define the wall and the dimension options any way that you want. If you want to dimension to the face of the drywall, you can do that easily in the wall definitions. However, the framer won't thank you for it!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#8 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:36 PM

Russ the 2x4 wall with Sheetrock would be the 4.5 inches. 3.5" for 2x4 + 2x.5" Sheetrock per side (1") = 4.5"

Where Softplan dimensions to is all adjusted in the wall definition. Inside room dimension of 12'-1" x15'-1"

would finish out at 12' x 15' if wall definition was set to measure framing to framing with both wall sides having

.5" Sheetrock. You may not see the sheetrock in plan view if sheetrock is not visible in the wall definition.

#9 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:27 PM

You can override the wall definitions for extensions and dimensions on a per drawing bases by changing them in the dimensions tab. In room mode you can show the room dimensions for each room and those dimensions are to the outside of the Sheetrock. So a room on the floor plan that shows 12’-1’ x 14’-7” will be labeled 12’x14’-6” in room mode. And of course you can show that info in any other mode if you need to. I think in 2020 you can tell room mode to round off as well if I remember correctly.

#10 Guest_Ormand Hunter_*

Guest_Ormand Hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:33 AM

Hello, Russ,

In the "Wall Definitions" inside "Project Options" you can designate what and where SoftPlan dimensions/extensions from. I will tell you, framers layout from base plate dimensions. Since construction materials are modular, ie... 4', 8' and 12' materials, not many designers work to a 12' - 1", etc.. format.

#11 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:13 AM

Also note the baseboard.  It all depends on why you want that 12'x15' room.  I have had clients give me a size that they need only to find out later that there is some furniture pieces that are wanting to put in only to be off because of trim either around openings or baseboard

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:17 AM

I've been designing 45 years, and I've never yet designed to "modular" materials. If you design to 12' on the walls, how does your subfloor fit? and how does your drywall fit? You CANNOT design the whole house to work on a module. The material sizes just won't allow it.

And then you get NON-MODULAR R.S.O.s which change everything again.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#13 Ormand Hunter

Ormand Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:52 PM

Keith, you misinterpreted my comments. My goal was to simply allow the designer to understand how the plans are used on site. You and I both know, SoftPlan, as amazing a tool as it is, has its limitations.

#14 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:12 PM

i would think you would have to add the 1" to the rooms when i do a closet i always make the depth 2'1" so you end up with 2'

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users