#21 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

Search "dynamic components" and you may find one you can adjust the attributes for.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#22 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:50 AM

Search "dynamic components" and you may find one you can adjust the attributes for.

Mark, is dynamic components a part of the PRO edition?

Rick

#23 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:02 AM

I think you need pro to use that feature, but the component itself would be in 3D warehouse. If you find one and want me to mess with sizes I can do that and export the model for you. I typically will export a 3D model to a 3DS if the textures are good, and then DWG for 2D files. That way the import is fairly easy on the SP side. But, let me know if you need it in other formats.

Mark Petri

#24 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:20 AM

If the model has textures, the 3DS format won't allow those to be edited.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#25 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:33 AM

Keith,

I use 3DS files all the time and edit the textures once saved as a SP symbol. Do you have an example of a 3DS that you cannot edit textures on? How do you bring them in to SP?

When I import it, I go to textures in the symbol edit menu (while first creating the symbol) and click on each texture represented so it loads (sometimes it doesn't load on it's own) and then click out of the texture menu. Then, save. It works for me all the time. I especially like it for timber trusses as I can just choose whatever wood texture I want and get the texture orientation correct in SketchUp, then export as a 3DS and bring it in as a symbol for SP. Then, in SP no matter what wood texture I pick I can get the orientation to be how I want it.

Note: I do not use the "Wizard" when importing. I always use the "One Step" option with a good 2D plan representation imported from a DWG, then link it to the imported 3DS that I save to a folder in the SP 3D symbols folder on my system. I have a ton of symbols I've done this way.

Mark Petri

#26 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:14 AM

Keith,

I use 3DS files all the time and edit the textures once saved as a SP symbol. Do you have an example of a 3DS that you cannot edit textures on? How do you bring them in to SP?

When I import it, I go to textures in the symbol edit menu (while first creating the symbol) and click on each texture represented so it loads (sometimes it doesn't load on it's own) and then click out of the texture menu. Then, save. It works for me all the time. I especially like it for timber trusses as I can just choose whatever wood texture I want and get the texture orientation correct in SketchUp, then export as a 3DS and bring it in as a symbol for SP. Then, in SP no matter what wood texture I pick I can get the orientation to be how I want it.

Note: I do not use the "Wizard" when importing. I always use the "One Step" option with a good 2D plan representation imported from a DWG, then link it to the imported 3DS that I save to a folder in the SP 3D symbols folder on my system. I have a ton of symbols I've done this way.

Mark, can you rotate the textures in sketchup for the styles and rails so that the grain runs in the correct direction?  Or do you worry about that.  I built the bottom panel, then I'm going to work on the top of the door and then put it all together. That's the easiest way for me.

Thanks

Rick

Attached Files

#27 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:31 AM

all that sounds like way too much work just to get what you want. 

#28 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:31 AM

Richard,

Textures can be rotated to just about any orientation in SketchUp. Makes it nice for things that have multiple grain orientations. Are you building the door in SketchUp??

It gives way better results in my opinion. And, Jon, not too much more work once you get used to it. I don't spend tons of time depending on what it is, but it helps to better represent things that cannot be done well or might cause confusion if modeled in SoftPlan. Just yesterday we got redlines from the engineer for a mono pour foundation that shows lines in areas that should not be cold joints. I explained we would try to adjust settings, but in SP you cannot model such a foundation without joints between slabs, piers and grade beams showing. The next best thing would be to model it all in SketchUp and import it as a symbol. In this case, it might have been better just to draw it in SketchUp, but it was started in SP, so we didn't.

Sometimes it's best to use what resources you have available to get the right look and detail. A few samples of where grain orientation and more texture options help...

Attached Files

Mark Petri

#29 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

Richard,

Textures can be rotated to just about any orientation in SketchUp. Makes it nice for things that have multiple grain orientations. Are you building the door in SketchUp??

It gives way better results in my opinion. And, Jon, not too much more work once you get used to it. I don't spend tons of time depending on what it is, but it helps to better represent things that cannot be done well or might cause confusion if modeled in SoftPlan. Just yesterday we got redlines from the engineer for a mono pour foundation that shows lines in areas that should not be cold joints. I explained we would try to adjust settings, but in SP you cannot model such a foundation without joints between slabs, piers and grade beams showing. The next best thing would be to model it all in SketchUp and import it as a symbol. In this case, it might have been better just to draw it in SketchUp, but it was started in SP, so we didn't.

Sometimes it's best to use what resources you have available to get the right look and detail. A few samples of where grain orientation and more texture options help...

Yes I'm using Sketchup.

Rick

#30 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:23 PM

Rick,

Do you have SU Pro or the free version? If you have Pro look for the plugin called Eneroth Texture Positioner. It works super well for fast texture orientation.

Mark Petri

#31 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:23 PM

Rick,

Do you have SU Pro or the free version? If you have Pro look for the plugin called Eneroth Texture Positioner. It works super well for fast texture orientation.

Free Version, I don't do enough custom stuff to justify it. I'm thinking about maybe trying it since they went to a subscription base. If SoftPlan would let you stop on the current version your working with I would do a subscription with them. Once you stop it you can't even open up any of your plans since you subscribed to it. 

#32 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:52 PM

Rick,

I think in both cases you could find out what the remaining balance is between your past payments and the upgrade fee and buy out whatever version you are on. In SketchUp's case it may not be as easy unless you had a pro version in the past. It really isn't that expensive, but certainly another thing to pay for in a long list once you get going with all the software subscriptions and upgrades these days. If you want to send me your door I can adjust textures. I will be in meetings and traveling tomorrow, but might be able to fit it into my day. email me at mark@pbd-us.com and give me a reminder of what you are sending if you like.

Mark Petri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users