21 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen Holt

Stephen Holt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:12 PM

I wanted to inform members, since so many of you have been helped by Randy Cohn over the years, that I only discovered this past weekend that Randy passed away in the first part of March. I talked with him back in February, and he seemed down and talked about a hip replacement surgery in three weeks or so. But he apparently developed a pain in his chest and went to the doctor who said it was stage 4 lung cancer.  Randy died 10 days later. 75 years old. Rest in Peace my friend I will miss our conversations.

#2 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

Sad news indeed!

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#3 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:25 PM

Thank you for sharing this Stephen. I had reached out to him not too long ago myself but didn't hear back which was so unlike him. Now I know. Even though death is a part of life it still seems a sad surprise. He helped a lot of people in ways beyond just Softplan. A good man who loved helping others. Rest in Peace.

• Mark Petri likes this

#4 Ben Ginther

Ben Ginther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:55 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. Randy was a great partner as I wrestled the learning curve. You could ask any question on SPLASH and expect him to respond in a few minutes. He was always offering to help anyone new to SoftPlan. Perhaps, to him, helping others was more important than drafting.

Truly sad news.

#5 Michael Landry

Michael Landry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationEaston, Ma.

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:13 PM

Very sorry to hear this, Randy was a true gentleman. When I started with version 11 I posted a question on Splash and much to my surprise Randy called me and left a long and detailed message describing how to solve the issue. Sad news indeed. Rest in peace Randy.

#6 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Ks

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

RIP....SEMPER FI.....He will be sorely missed....to my knowledge, he never refused to help anyone with a softplan problem....I always loved his crazy animals he would put in his site scenes...

Harlon G. " Buddy " Suttle
casekc49@gmail.com
CELL: 913-339-6242

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

Randy and I talked numerous times about Softplan issues and how to get around them. He never thought twice about making an international phone call to discuss something or other.

I feel myself privileged to have known and been friends with such a wonderful person.

Rest In Peace Randy. You will be missed ... Your legend will live on with the people on this forum.

• Geoffrey Savige likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#8 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:31 PM

I fondly remember meeting Randy at the SoftPlan training program in Sacramento.

He was always generous with his time and he loved sharing his knowledge and conversation with others.

A tough marine recon soldier with a heart of gold.

Peace be with you Randy !!!

#9 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:23 AM

I met Randy in Lake Tahoe when he helped put on a training seminar for SoftPlan. I considered him a friend ever since. This is terrible news to say the least. I am shocked and heartbroken. RIP Randy.

#10 Myron Edwards

Myron Edwards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLewes, Delaware

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:27 AM

Randy was a great guy who was eager to help you out and passionate about SP.

A sad day indeed!

#11 Rick Kingsbury

Rick Kingsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSpearfish, SD

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

Randy helped me quite often when I was learning SoftPlan. He never hesitated to answer a question no matter how dumb it was. Thanks Randy!!! RIP.

#12 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:46 PM

I don't recall the final numbers, but in the Splash forum Randy must have had way more posts than anyone else - tens of thousands. Not only did he post things to help, but ideas and fun things to spark creativity or just lighten the mood. With all who have stories of his help and walking through drawing difficulties with SP users I don't know how he ever did anything else. He truly was one in a billion. We are all better off for having known him!

• Keith Almond, Gary McKeon and David Zawadzki like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#13 Michael Collazo

Michael Collazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:38 PM

Wow, I was wondering what had happened to Randy. Always eager to help as many had mentioned, dating back to the Good Ole Splash Days.. 

Michael A Collazo

Planmark Design Studio, LLC

Tampa, Florida

http://planmarkstudio.com

info@planmarkstudio.com

#14 Mike Lloyd

Mike Lloyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationVista CA

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:58 PM

All the way back in the early days of SPLASH Randy was always helpful and the first to respond to questions and troubleshooting. He was inspirational in figuring ways to tweek SP to get the results you were looking for. I always looked for his input and responses, he helped me over many hurdles. So sorry to hear of his passing. RIP Randy you are missed.

#15 Ron Mejeur

Ron Mejeur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationKalalmazoo, Mi

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

So sorry to hear this. I hadn't seen any responses from him lately and should have checked in with him.   He was a true gentleman and  very helpful person.  As was stated before, there were times I posted something on Splash and a few minutes later he was calling on the phone to give a lesson on the issue.  RIP Randy.

Ron Mejeur

#16 Bill Beatson

Bill Beatson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPerth Scotland

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:48 AM

So very sorry to hear about Randy. I got help from him 9 years ago when I was just a novice. I'm in Scotland and posted a question about curved roofs and got his answer same day. He had a very personal touch - e.g.

" I'd call  you but that's real long distance for me calling to scotland. btw, my son-in-law is scottish > full blooded /  mcGregor is his last name  / travis is his first name."

I liked that and replied - "Could I just add that I could not have learned as much so quickly without the SPLASH Forum. We beginners maybe don't contribute much to the solutions but we spend hours reading questions put by others and learn from that so please never stop the Forum. Your name is always there - you're the man!"  

Very sadly - no more!
With fond memories - RIP Randy

• Gary McKeon and David Zawadzki like this

#17 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:24 AM

As it seams with everyone else, he has helped me in more ways than I can count.  He was an extension of Softplan and tech support even though he didnt receive a paycheck.   :-)  A great ambassador for the program and will surely miss his posts.  RIP Randy

• David Zawadzki likes this

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#18 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:31 AM

As it seams with everyone else, he has helped me in more ways than I can count.  He was an extension of Softplan and tech support even though he didnt receive a paycheck. he was a greate guy when i call him he was eager to help no matter what if he did not know he would try to figure it out . he was a good help with softplan RIP Randy

#19 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

Randy truly an inspiration to me and many others over the learning hump when starting....Randy was an outside of the box sort of thinker coming up with ideas I've never even considered conventionally....ha...ha...  I went out to visit him about 4 years ago at his place in the hills in San Rafeal, drank tea with him on the deck and talked about the crazy Russians across the street.  While there got a chance to meet his daughter and two sons.

Randy...You the Man and you will be missed!

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#20 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:16 AM

Don't know how I missed this.  I too had been wondering about Randy's absence on the forums.  It was like he was always sitting at his computer just waiting for someone to have a problem.  RIP Randy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users