#1 JOHN PATTERSON

JOHN PATTERSON

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationPowell Ohio

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:07 AM

Wanted to take a survey to see if I was the last one to use Multi Drawing. I know this question has been asked in the past, wanted to see how it has progressed. When plan sets first came out, seamed that there were several problems. I assume that they have all been fixed. With the advent of annotated views, connected to plan sets I would suspect that the drawings become a lot more dynamic. My only problem is that a lot of the houses that I do have somewhat complex roof systems that would require a lot of time editing, to get the elevation's to generate properly in the dynamic file, which I realize is a separate issue as compared to plan sets.

#2 Jack Carson

Jack Carson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSouthaven, MS & Frederiksted, St. Croix USVI

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:17 AM

John, I have been using Plan Sets for about a year.  They are easy to work with.  There is a video on YouTube that takes you through the steps to set it up. 

Jack

• Allen McDonnell and Brent Hyndman like this

#3 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:25 AM

Plan Set are OUTSTANDING. I would never go back to Multi Drawing after learning to use Plan Sets. 

• Allen McDonnell and Brent Hyndman like this

#4 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:16 AM

Plan Set are OUTSTANDING. I would never go back to Multi Drawing after learning to use Plan Sets. 

Ditto.... Especially since you can set up plan set templates.

• John Jones and Brent Hyndman like this

#5 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:44 AM

I only used multi a little, and hated it, but it was too time consuming for me.     Plansets start out being easy to use, never was any problems I saw. Softplan has improved them each time, usually from users input. Plansets are so easy.

Only comment i'd like to put into the roof elevations, is if you don't need 3D views but only elevations, I have found I don't try to make the drawing reflect perfectly to elevations, and just plan to do a quick draw in on elevations to get them right. When I approach elevations with the mind set that I will do touchup and draw in lines etc. I find it goes quickly.

#6 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:38 PM

I've been using plansets for a few years now and have not looked back.  They keep getting better with each release and are much easier to work with when it comes to printing, creating PDF's, etc.  Give them a try, once you understand the basics, you'll never go back.

#7 Don Gibbons

Don Gibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 03:45 AM

Plan Sets for me.

#8 Chris Proost

Chris Proost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 05 July 2019 - 07:54 AM

Still rocking the Multi here but been thinking it might be time to switch with the new annotated elevations option.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks!

#9 Martin Wrobel

Martin Wrobel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:07 AM

Plan sets for me too.

Martin Wrobel

Superior Home Design

Michigan

Softplan 2024

9th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 9900 (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)\

NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)

64GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz

Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 850W Power Supply

#10 Mark Beard

Mark Beard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:09 AM

I've actually never used multi at all and started right in with plan sets when I switched over to Softplan a few years ago.  Coming from a long time AutoCad background, plan sets made more sense right out of the gate.  You do your "modeling/drawing/work" in one area and then you place those on "virtual paper" aka plan sets (paperspace in AutoCad).  I've always liked that separation and having the flexibility and more control on what goes on a page at different scales, etc.. 

And as other uses said, saving out a plan set template is huge for time savings.  If you are consistent in your workflow, the plan sets will almost create themselves once you get the hang of it.

One thing I would like to see in the future is copy/paste between plan sets pages.

Try them out!  

Mark Beard

LifeStage Home Designs
Office: 919.630.1224

Your future is in our plans

#11 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:24 AM

I have to admit, I use Multi.  I tried plansets when they first came out and they did not click for me.  I guess it is time to spend the time investment (based on how those who use it like it) and learn plansets.

#12 Amelia Zabel

Amelia Zabel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:59 AM

We still use multi drawings, but only because we have 4 employees and I just haven't had the time to learn them properly and get them set up for everybody, I think if I was a one person operation I would definitely be using them.

#13 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 July 2019 - 10:29 AM

You don't actually have to use the full power of Plansets ... you can jump right in and use them virtually the same way you used the multi's and then work up from there. They are not that much different. The principle is exactly the same.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#14 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:52 PM

Another Plan Set convert. After 20 years of multi draw, this is the best feature in Softplan to me. The templates are a huge time saver if you have multiple Builder clients.

#15 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:13 PM

+1 plansets

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#16 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:34 PM

Would NEVER go back to using multi-drawings.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#17 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:33 AM

Multi drawings.  I tried Plan Sets when they came out (briefly) and stuck with Multi.  For me it's not broke, so I stick with it.  To be fair I haven't really given plan sets a chance... maybe if this economy slows up enough I will try again sometime.

#18 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:12 PM

Keith, you never use multi, not even to overlay two drawings, to aid in your drawing?

#19 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:26 PM

Found out you can not edit your drawings in Plansets?  Being able to overlay my drawings into multi, find errors, move things around, edit a drawing when I have multiple drawings all together seems very important.  Is Planset just a trade off of drawing approach?  I don't know but again what I mentioned in this post is very important to me.  For just an example, I use a separate drawings for purlins.  That way when I have roof framing layout as a line drawing.  I can easily position my purlin line drawing right on top of the rafters without worrying I moved anything on the rafter line drawing.  I do that sort of thing all the time.

#20 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:40 AM

^^

You can still use multi drawings for that purpose, but use plan-sets for your sheets & producing PDF sets....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users