• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dale Mitchell

Dale Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

Attached File  Didn't dimension.gif   116.64KB   1 downloadsAttached File  Didn't dimension.gif   116.64KB   1 downloadsNewbie to Softplan.  Using ver 2020.

Can anyone help me figure out why Softplan did not autodimension the two vertical walls indicated in the attached .gif?

I have been working on this for hours now with no solution.  Can't even figure out a way to manually dimension them.

Thanks

Dale

#2 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:52 PM

Dale,

Softplan will not give you those dimensions. You have to do it manually by drawing your extension lines first, where you want them, and then run your dimension line.

#3 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:37 AM

Yes, draw you an extension line first, then dimension.

Also, as a general rule, I do not use auto-dimension tool. In the past it has dimensioned incorrectly, and caused problems in the field.

I do it all myself.  The keyboard shortcut for the extension line is "S" - but I can't remember if that's what it was out of the box or if I changed it to that... lol

There should be a button for it too in the dimension tab.

#4 Dale Mitchell

Dale Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:47 AM

Thanks, Jon and Gary

And I too am a little apprehensive about auto dimension so will likely adopt manual dims.

Onward..........

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

I always use auto dimension to add the initial dimensions and then add from there as necessary. The only time I find that Softplan does odd things with the auto dimension is when a brick wall meets a siding wall at a corner ... Note to Softplan - That really needs to be addressed.

• Warren Ducote, Tom Rogers and Allen McDonnell like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:44 AM

Please send a ticket in for dimensions that are not where you would expect them to be pulled.

#7 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:47 AM

I use auto dimension with the exterior walls and openings. I don't use the interior wall dimensions and I just manually dimension all the walls on the interior with dimension lines. It would be nice if they could be auto dimensions on the inside of the plan. But to your point above, I find that I dimension those walls that aren't done with the auto dimensions with my interior dimensions.

#8 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:01 PM

Thanks, Jon and Gary

And I too am a little apprehensive about auto dimension so will likely adopt manual dims.

Onward..........

No need to be apprehensive but rather just get familiar with the way Softplan "thinks" and go from there. Auto dimension is a great tool that really helps but you need to understand what it does and doesn't do and move forward from there in the way that best works for you.

• Brent Hyndman likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dimensions, manual

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users