Jonathan Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:35 AM

Question (unless I'm missing something)

Why does softplan not have the ability on the plans set pages to add area's..   So say in my model it has first floor and a second floor.   So I trace out the first floor sqft and also the 2nd floor sqft.

There is no way to add up the total sqft and show that..

I have to create and area called total sqft and trace that out on the first and second floor.   Then also trace out "first floor area" and "second floor area"

On plans set: (example of what I want to show and auto update)

Total Finished 1500 sqft

First Floor 1200 sqft

Second Floor 300 sqft

Garage 400 sqft

This seams like such a basic function that should be there in Softplan.   And is there in alot of other cad programs..  

Again unless I'm missing something on how everyone uses areas while using plan sets.

Thanks

Jon

• Heath Foster likes this

#2 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:37 AM

i can not under stand when you edit a wall there is no sf in that area but when you edit a roof it gives you the sf of roof area

i would like to have that on exterior wall

#3 Steve Vens

Steve Vens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:38 PM

You can create a simple SoftList Report to run these calculations for you. There is much more flexibility with SoftList compared to the automated Schedules. Once a custom SoftList report is created, along with a matching Layout, the report can be inserting into a drawing file by selecting File > Import > SoftList Report. Our Friday Fundamental from August 9, 2019, also covers a similar report that was created to list exterior surface areas of walls and roofing.

Attached Files

• John Jones, Heath Foster, Raymond W. Johnson and 2 others like this

#4 Raymond W. Johnson

Raymond W. Johnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, Okla.

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Steve.  I have been using the same procedure as  Jonathan.

#5 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:01 PM

Question (unless I'm missing something)

Why does softplan not have the ability on the plans set pages to add area's..   So say in my model it has first floor and a second floor.   So I trace out the first floor sqft and also the 2nd floor sqft.

There is no way to add up the total sqft and show that..

I have to create and area called total sqft and trace that out on the first and second floor.   Then also trace out "first floor area" and "second floor area"

On plans set: (example of what I want to show and auto update)

Total Finished 1500 sqft

First Floor 1200 sqft

Second Floor 300 sqft

Garage 400 sqft

This seams like such a basic function that should be there in Softplan.   And is there in alot of other cad programs..  

Again unless I'm missing something on how everyone uses areas while using plan sets.

Thanks

Jon

Jon,

I save a Drawing called "AREA" generate the Area Schedule there, add it to the Model. When you add your area's to each drawing in the model the Area Drawing updates, then add the Area Drawing to the Plan Set page you want included on.

Bill Wimberly from SoftplanTuts told me how to do this.

Rick

Attached Files

• Attached File  Area.JPG   90.61KB   7 downloads

• Rick Kingsbury, Steven Wohlgemuth and David Zawadzki like this

#6 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:17 AM

Rick, are you covering the same space multiple times with different areas?  I do something similar to this, but I need to have my first floor as a separate area, and as part of the heated area, and as the under roof area...

#7 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:29 PM

Rick, are you covering the same space multiple times with different areas?  I do something similar to this, but I need to have my first floor as a separate area, and as part of the heated area, and as the under roof area...

Yes, I'll insert the first floor heated, then copy that area, then edit it and make Total Heated Area so it will add multi floors together.

Attached Files

#8 Dave Pazyniak

Dave Pazyniak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:55 PM

Thanks.  Copy and edit is sometimes easier than tracing some spaces. I did not think of that!

#9 Edward Shannon

Edward Shannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, Iowa

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:44 AM

Quick question for this thread.  How do I assign names to the areas (Change "Area 2" to "Addition") while still keeping the area schedule live? 

Edward J Shannon, ArCH/NCARB/LEED GA

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:23 AM

Edit Area, and Change "TYPE" to "NEW AREA TYPE" and name to suit.

• Edward Shannon likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#11 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:26 PM

Jon,

I save a Drawing called "AREA" generate the Area Schedule there, add it to the Model. When you add your area's to each drawing in the model the Area Drawing updates, then add the Area Drawing to the Plan Set page you want included on.

Bill Wimberly from SoftplanTuts told me how to do this.

Rick

I nominate this for the  Post of the Year award!

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#12 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:47 PM

I nominate this for the  Post of the Year award!

David, glad you like it. It works well for me. Again as I said above Bill Wimberly @ Softplantuts showed it to me. Things like this would be nice in a Tricks & Tip forum.

Rick

• David Zawadzki likes this

#13 Paul James

Paul James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:26 PM

Quick question for this thread.  How do I assign names to the areas (Change "Area 2" to "Addition") while still keeping the area schedule live? 

System Options- Finishing Options- Area Options, to rename or add areas for new projects. And under Projects Options- Finishing Options- Area Options, to rename or add for existing projects. 

#14 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:15 PM

Under 2020, you can add new area's on the fly (with NEW AREA TYPE), you don't have to set them up beforehand.

You can also ADD new SOLIDS the same way.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#15 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:21 AM

If you're using plan sets, and you're floor plans are on the same sheet, you can put the area schedule on the plan set sheet and it will add up total area's you have in the model.

Using different area's from the tab that Richard posted above, it should list any of them you have in the model in the schedule. So as long as you have an area that you mentioned in the model, it would add up and show in that schedule. Only works if both floors are on the same sheet though.

#16 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:19 AM

If you're using plan sets, and you're floor plans are on the same sheet, you can put the area schedule on the plan set sheet and it will add up total area's you have in the model.

Using different area's from the tab that Richard posted above, it should list any of them you have in the model in the schedule. So as long as you have an area that you mentioned in the model, it would add up and show in that schedule. Only works if both floors are on the same sheet though.

Jon, They don't have to be on the same sheet, just in the Model and select "Drawings in Model" when you edit the Area Schedule not "Current Drawing".

Rick

• Jon Davis likes this

#17 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:23 AM

Jon, They don't have to be on the same sheet, just in the Model and select "Drawings in Model" when you edit the Area Schedule not "Current Drawing".

Rick

Sweet!

#18 Edward Shannon

Edward Shannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, Iowa

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:41 AM

Thanks all!

Edward J Shannon, ArCH/NCARB/LEED GA