35 replies to this topic

#1 Don Gibbons

Don Gibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:47 AM

I've recently hired a college grad to work for me. He had AutoCAD and Revit all through high school and college. When I told him he had to use SoftPlan, he'd never heard of it. He was hesitant but game to learn(not that his job was on the line or anything like that  ;) ). I've left him alone to be self taught for the most part, with a curriculum I made when I taught SoftPlan at the local college. His comment to me after a while: 'Why don't they teach this at the college, it's so easy, way easier that Revit.'

I'm also teaching another Revit/AutoCAD user who wants to work part time for me and he's said something quite close to that as well.

• Keith Almond and Heath Foster like this

#2 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:57 PM

That's exactly what I said in the beginning.  But then when I got deeper into SP I realized there are much fewer editing tools and I dearly miss them.

#3 Don Gibbons

Don Gibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:02 PM

Like what?

#4 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:39 AM

I've made many posts discussing them. 

A few just off the top of my head:

* A true Stretch command.  Stretch in Autocad is much more useful especially since you can use a pline.

* A mirror command that works on ALL entities and directions.  SP mirror works on some but not all entities.  I would like to be able to use it to mirror windows ALL the time but it only works about half the time I try it.

* Being able to place a dimension to any line point object etc. without having to go thru menus to setup what is dimensionable.  Dimension Point doesn't do this unless you have the object programmed into dimension.

That's all I can remember right now, they usually come to mind when I'm drawings something.

I spent 20 years board drafting and about 20 using Autocad and I guess the mindset is just too strong. 

#5 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:43 PM

Agreed.... stretch command would be an amazing addition to SP. 

Also, the 3D part modeling sucks compared to CAD/Revit.

Dennis, try "reverse" in place of mirror command, unfortunately it's mirroring the original so you're not left with the previous

like using the mirror command. But it works if you need to flip something, and don't need to keep the original. 

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:25 PM

Remind me ... What does Stretch do that you can't do in Softplan.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#7 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:38 AM

Remind me ... What does Stretch do that you can't do in Softplan.

I allows you to grab a certain part of your whatever you're drawing, and stretch it by an input length. 

It would be really handy if you wanted to lengthen an entire section of a house by windowing that portion and dragging it. 

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:57 AM

I don't see anything there that Softplan can't do. Block move with attach would seem to do that quite adequately.

The other command that you may be missing is EDIT > ADJUST SIZE. which allows you to Shrink or Enlarge blocks by either a factor or make it a specific size.

I used AutoCAD (up to V2000i) for 10 years - and to be honest can't remember most of the commands now - but I can't think of a single thing (with the exception of adding a dimension string by clicking points) that I miss, or can't do in Softplan.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#9 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:49 AM

I have no clue how to use block move with attach.... I know how to  block move, but was not aware there are sub-commands... 

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:59 AM

Just click the attach button on the STATUS BAR

2020.02.17_10h58m03s_002_.png

Attach works with quite a few commands

Keith

#11 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:25 AM

What does it do when block moving?

#12 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:39 AM

If you block move walls the walls attached to those that have been moved will stretch to stay joined (technically) when attached is selected

Just be careful, because openings, cabinets and other symbols that reference walls which you may not want to move will also move sometimes. Then it might be best to uncheck attach and reattach any walls manually.

• Jon Davis and JASON BURMEISTER like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#13 Mark Beard

Mark Beard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:13 PM

One small thing I do miss from my AutoCAD days was the ability to draw an object/line with a specific length already in mind.  While there is no comparison of being able to draw an entire wall assembly vs. simple lines on a screens, there are times when I wish we had direct input when laying out objects on a plan.

For example, If I know I want a 24' long wall, I wish I could input that distance when initially drawing the wall vs. sketching and coming back to edit via dimensions.  Not a huge deal but it comes up every now and again for me and I think it could save some time, maybe not much, but some.     

• Jon Davis likes this

Mark Beard

LifeStage Home Designs
Office: 919.630.1224

Your future is in our plans

#14 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:31 PM

You can ... click wall SELECT TYPE - HOME 24' left or right arrow and HOME. Softplan has always had that ability. Originally there were FROM and TO keys.

• John Jones, Warren Ducote and Tom Rogers like this
Keith

#15 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:34 PM

One small thing I do miss from my AutoCAD days was the ability to draw an object/line with a specific length already in mind.  While there is no comparison of being able to draw an entire wall assembly vs. simple lines on a screens, there are times when I wish we had direct input when laying out objects on a plan.

For example, If I know I want a 24' long wall, I wish I could input that distance when initially drawing the wall vs. sketching and coming back to edit via dimensions.  Not a huge deal but it comes up every now and again for me and I think it could save some time, maybe not much, but some.     

Mark, try selecting your wall click on the screen and type in the distance hit the left, right, up or down key, if I'm understanding what you're trying to do.

Rick

#16 Mark Beard

Mark Beard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:38 PM

Thanks guys.  I'll take a look!  Didn't know this was possible.

Mark Beard

LifeStage Home Designs
Office: 919.630.1224

Your future is in our plans

#17 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:46 PM

Block move with attach.......or sometimes not attach, is a huge time saver!

#18 Don Gibbons

Don Gibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:38 AM

Mark, another thing you can do is set the Trace Line Position in the wall definition. If, for example, you ext/dim to the exterior of stud, you can set that to Outermost Bearing(there is also a custom option). This will then be the 'corner points' on the wall when you key in a specific dimension. I use it a lot when I'm doing simple layouts.

• John Jones likes this

#19 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:33 PM

Sorry but "block move" is not nearly as easy to use as the autocad "stretch" is. Probably the single biggest reason is that in autocad you have a choice in how to select things. Hold the mouse button down and cross over to the right the things to move you will only move what is totally within your "pick window". OR you can hold your mouse button down and drag to the left and anything/ everything your window crosses will move or whatever your command. Just like the softplan "cross erase" except for any command you want. Extremely convenient and SO much easier. I find block move to be clumsy for anything but the simplest of things.

• Jon Davis, Mark Beard and Dennis Hilborn like this

#20 Don Gibbons

Don Gibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:57 PM

You can do the same thing in SoftPlan.

Hold the ctrl button down and left click, box in what you want and press M for move. Only those items completely in the block will move.

• JASON BURMEISTER likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users