Exporting in a pdf file for offsite printing

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Duane_*

Guest_Duane_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:43 AM

When I export a drawing to a PDF, the offsite printer is unable to get his file to print to scale.

#2 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:36 AM

Duane,

Did you choose a " Fixed" scale from the print dialog box?

Attached Thumbnails

• Print to Scale.JPG

#3 Guest_Duane Ellis_*

Guest_Duane Ellis_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:58 PM

I checked that as well, it was set on fixed.  Thank you for your time and interest in helping!

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

I'd check on his settings! Most of the readers have their own print settings. His should be set accordingly. I'd almost be prepared to bet that this is his problem, not yours!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:57 PM

So assuming you created the pdf to scale, then it's definitely the folks off site...when they print the pdf they should NOT use the "fit to page" setting...

This happens all the time.when we send plans to FedEx or similar print service not accustomed to working with large scale construction documents

#6 Guest_CT_*

Guest_CT_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

Is Fedex a good print service?  Who do most people use?  (Again, I'm a builder/remodeler and new to SP.)

Thanks.

CT

#7 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:00 PM

I like to use a local "Reprographics / blue print" shop... they are familiar with working with large scale construction documents... they know how to print to scale.. know how to properly bind drawings... they'll even look at the cover sheet / sheet index and figure out how to assemble the drawings in the correct order... Signature Reprographics here in Sacrament are TERRIFIC....

But occasionally we run over to FedEx for small orders, as they are close / convenient...

you need to be sure that they print the file correctly... as I said above, a common mistake made by print shops is to use the print setting FIT TO PAGE... this will result in the drawing being out of scale, so really bad...

if using FedEx or similar type print service, be sure to mention to them to use PRINT TO SCALE... NOT  FIT TO PAGE

also note, that if you do a lot of printing, your local "reprographics / blue print" shop may set up an account for you with greatly discounted prices... something you likely won't get from FedEx or similar service...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users