26 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Muntz

Eric Muntz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPort Carling, ON

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:10 AM

Working on a little Gazebo here. Should be pretty simple you would think. As you can see I'm having issues with the soffits not trimming with the holes that I created that remove the hip from the gables. I've had this issue before so I just ended up making the elevation 2D and cleaning up. I would like to avoid doing that. Note that i've unchecked the add soffit & fascia box for each hole.

My first question would be:

1) Has anyone achieve this look by only drawing one roof? I currently have 2 roofs drawn because you can't apply a gable to each side.

I've also tried drawing one roof and adding false gables and I get the same result.

2) Is there a way to fix the soffit without turning it off?

Appreciate the help.

Attached Files

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:37 AM

You can try moving the roof references out to beams or walls that are beyond your intended roof and structure. Set those reference walls so they do not extract in 3D or show in plan (hidden) and then adjust the roof reference circles for the eaves out to those reference beams. Then, the gable references can be moved back or set on the beams as you have them and you can get one roof with all 4 gables. It may take some trial and error, but should work. Make sure you un-check clean up and maybe even put the roof on a locked layer or building option when you get it the way you want it. Otherwise SP will think it is helping you when it tries to clean it up and "fix" it.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:57 AM

To be on the safe side , extend the hole past the fascia edges.

• Jon Davis likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Eric Muntz

Eric Muntz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:22 AM

This is about as good as I got with your suggestion, Mark. Been playing around with it and can't seem to make it work. Most of the time no roof shows up at all once I set the gables to reference the walls I want.

I've attached some images of what I did and then also the final result. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Keith. In that image the holes were extended past the fascia. That usually solves any soffit or fascia issues, but not this time around.

I think I'm just going to turn the soffits off and try using a ceiling.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.png   13.89KB   3 downloads
  • Attached File  2.png   10.78KB   3 downloads
  • Attached File  3.png   50.65KB   2 downloads

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:46 AM

I think you need to have eave beams (hip sides of the roof) reference outside of the model you are going for. I'll see if I can get it to work.

Mark Petri

#6 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:12 PM

Yep, can't get it to clean up correctly. Your idea of using a ceiling will probably be better. Also, could use two roofs and set the heel height for one lower and then use the roofing or sheathing as your ceiling. But still may be a mess.

Mark Petri

#7 Eric Muntz

Eric Muntz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for trying. Super frustrating because it's such a simple roof lol

#8 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:24 PM

Yep. It goes to show the program often does not help in the way it limits our ability to customize and edit parts and it's tendency to "clean up" things the way SP thinks is best. Doing a work-around for such simple stuff should not be a normal part of the process.

Mark Petri

#9 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:02 PM

Is this what you are trying to do?

SP gets confused sometimes if you have a gable butting up against another gable.  It really gets confused if you have 4 of them.  Where should he start and end?

What I did was create a hip room to fit.  Then draw guide lines at each corner and move them in 1".  Used these guide lines to apply a false gable that leaves 1" of hip on each side of each corner.  Now SP builds the hip and doesn't have any of those confusing gables hitting each other.  Then SP applies the false gables.

I agree that it's not perfectly drawn as it will be built but it looks right and none of those mistakes to explain away to the customer.

Attached Files

#10 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:18 PM

Dennis,

What happens if you try changing the bird box gable corners to plain? 

Mark Petri

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 April 2020 - 04:24 PM

Dennis,

What happens if you try changing the bird box gable corners to plain? 

Exactly the same as happened when you and I tried it ... !

I even tried a hip roof with 4 false gables and holes, as - stupidly - you can adjust the size of the birdbox on the false gables but not on the real gables. That didn't work either, the soffit size is tied to the overhang.

If you want to do it WITH birdboxes it's quite simple ... WITHOUT it's ALMOST impossible.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#12 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 02 April 2020 - 04:27 PM

Stuff like this is very disappointing. I feel I've had to fight roof modeling much more in the past few versions. Not sure I am remembering correctly, but it seems to have gotten more touchy.

Mark Petri

#13 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:46 PM

Sorry, I didn't fully understand the problem.

The answer is it is an impossible situation since the tool we have to work with does not allow for filleting the soffit.  Until it does we'll have to accept less than what we want.

• Keith Almond likes this

#14 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:37 AM

Here is my stab at it.  I drew two separate roofs, side by side with one rotated 90 degrees.  Each have their own beams with one set not extracting in model.  Added holes where the other gable would come through but probably didn't need to with a flat ceiling.  I then block moved one roof and beams over top of the other.  The soffits are done using ceilings and holes.  I had to adjust the beams up to get the soffit offset to the bottom of the fascia.  I think because i built it with the beams at "0" offset.  If i would have set the beams at 8' I should have been able to reference the soffit to a lower hidden wall or plate?   Fascia still shows an anomaly where they meet. 

Attached Files

• Keith Almond and Dennis Hilborn like this

#15 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:55 AM

Jim, that looks great but I was unable to duplicate it in the 45 mins. I tried.  There needs t be a better way.

• Jim Johnson likes this

#16 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:27 AM

Stuff like this should not take a whole lot of work-arounds and time to get to work. We need way more ability to edit and customize the settings for such things!

• Jim Johnson and Eric Muntz like this

Mark Petri

#17 Eric Muntz

Eric Muntz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 05:16 PM

Thank everyone for their input. I've been using Softplan for several years now and I'm just finding out that there's a pretty good community here in the forum.

Here's what I ended up with. Not happy with how the fascias butt into each other at the corners, but I can't spend any more hours trying to make this look perfect lol.

I have the soffit drawn in ceiling mode. Two ceilings over each other which I found I had to put on a separate building options and work on them one at a time in order to add the hips and gables accordingly. If they were on at the same time it would not let me add hips and gables as needed.

The roofs are also two separate roofs.

Attached Files

• Mark Petri, Keith Almond and JEREMY MILLER like this

#18 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 03 April 2020 - 05:27 PM

Eric,

It looks good for having to do all the work-arounds. It should not take so much effort to create something so simple and common.

• Keith Almond and Eric Muntz like this

Mark Petri

#19 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:09 PM

It's a double edge sword.. I recently saw a Revit video, using a recent version, and all the soffits and gutters and bird box fascias are all "modeled" individually.. it's a simple rectangle roof and its a 20 minute video.. even each bird box fascia board needs to be modeled once at a time.. it seemed tedious and time consuming...
Yet, I'm sure in the end there is greater "control" with modeling each element,
. as opposed to SP approach where all those items are built into the roof definition..
But sadly the algorithms won't always work like we'd want then to..
So pick your poison I guess..

#20 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:58 AM

The programmer quit on this a little too soon and beta testers were ignored or they just didn't find the problem.

There shouldn't be any poison to pick.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: soffits, roof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users