odd_roof_sting.jpg

#2 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:08 AM

• sorta looks like the left and right roof edge is set as gable, same thing in several places,
  • I think all the circles with X in them are gables.
  • That back roof you can make the left wall taller so that the whole back plan is the same and the gable roof at the back will flo into it right, the wall just right of the multi hgt wall.  could fix it with a heel hgt?

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:41 PM

As far as I can see, what Softplan has drawn is probably correct. The right and left sides of the main roof (with the common ridge) are at different pitches because of the difference in lengths of the roofs, even though the soffits are at the same height.. So the left side is steeper and that actually seems to correspond to what Softplan has drawn. You will have to do some redesign on that roof to get rid of it. You could reduce the soffit height on the right hand side so that the rear gable roof runs over it, and so repositions the valley.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Stefan Liede

Stefan Liede

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

thanks so much, to all

will try this

i want to get rid just the "north" gable sting,

all other parts of the roof are fine

the fascia should be on the same level around the roof

see 3D view with the odd sting/peak

odd_roof_sting_3D.jpg

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:35 PM

Then you have a problem. If the eaves have to stay the same, then the only option is to change the pitch and add a hip roof in there. You can't make the ridge line constant either. You can't have everything you want here. Where are you prepared to compromise? You can't make matching roofs where your eaves to eaves lengths aren't the same.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#6 Stefan Liede

Stefan Liede

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:28 AM

Thanks Keith

All right !  I was aware of that, but still hopefully there would be an alternative solution.

#7 Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:49 AM

Verify that your soffits (it looks like the front based on the patio furniture in the back)  are at the correct height.  If they are than the main (middle ridge) can not run continuously.  Either the ridge needs to be broken up which you can then correct the gable or you need to adjust the soffit heights like stated above. 

#8 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

Stefan, Another option would be to allow the main roof to bear off the same line along the back. This could be accomplished by adding a bearing beam on the right side that would continue the bearing created by the left wall of the bumped out section. After this is done a shallower pitched roof could be added to fill the void created on the right. This would give what is now the 'stinger section' a point on the roof to die against in line with the current bump out gabled ridgeline.

#9 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:45 PM

are the roof planes different pitches ?? that's the way I'm seeing it... that's going to be problematic if you want to remove the sliver..

Attached Thumbnails

• ROOF Q.jpg

#10 Stefan Liede

Stefan Liede

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:17 PM

thanks, you are right

i did the same pitch on both sides of the gable (main roof)

and the way to get rid of the sliver is to make different heels heights

or different wall heights

the eave moves down about 2 feet, that looks odd in this case

now ii'll change the wall position to go in line that's an easy way

roof_heels_3D_1.jpg mainfloor_roof1.jpg

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:56 PM

When I suggested you do that, you said "the fascia should be on the same level around the roof". Is that not the case now?

Keith

#12 Stefan Liede

Stefan Liede

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:22 AM

thanks,

yes the (hidden eaves) fascias should be on the same level around the roof

had minimal different pitches beside the gable, this was automatically done by SP (?), i was not actually aware of this

now i changed the main floor plan so the wall segments beside the front gable are in one  line

#13 Michael Roman

Michael Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:23 PM

You will not get this to work the way you are expecting it to. If you don't want to change the eave height to get this work you will either have to break up that roof plane and another ridge or you could extend that eave using a cantilever truss so that it pushed that roof plane out to where you want it. The down side to doing this is that the plane that comes off the 8' wall will no longer match up.

Remember that if you raise that heel on the truss (fascia line) to make it match then you will have to raise the heel on the eave to the left (looking at the plan) or you will end up with a separate plane and have to stack a gable.

As has been stated you will need to pick a compromise here. If you could make the software do this roof like what you wanted there is no way to build it in the real world.
You will need to decide which look you or your customer prefer and run with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users