23 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 10:12 AM

I downloaded the trial version of 2020 on my home PC b/c I needed to get started on a project.

The key should be coming tomorrow so I can go full version.....

It says trial version files can't be opened with a full version, and that's gonna suck b/c I don't want to have to start over.

I've already got most of the work done. Can softplan convert the file for me? Or will it convert on it's own since

I'm going from trial to full?

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 06 May 2020 - 10:28 AM

My understanding is you will have to start over (I hope I am wrong). Why not take a key home from work to use the full version? Hopefully SP can step in and do something to save your work for you to convert when you get the full version up and running.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:12 AM

I am a single user but I have two keys.  The reasons is because I can take my laptop with me and it has its own key.  If something happens and a key malfunctions (has not happened in quite a few years now), I am not stuck without the ability to work because I can use the other.  I hate to transport keys around because they have a chance of getting lost, each key just stays with the computer..  I know it costs, but a client left hanging is not good thing either.  Mailing a new key from SP takes a few days.

I also share the project with the other key so no matter where I am, I have access to my projects.

#4 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:14 PM

You can't get your key from work

#5 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:47 PM

I didn't read all of Mark's post

#6 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:40 PM

My understanding is you will have to start over (I hope I am wrong). Why not take a key home from work to use the full version? Hopefully SP can step in and do something to save your work for you to convert when you get the full version up and running.

I thought about that but, job ethics and all.... This project is outside of my "job" duties. 

Yeah it's gonna suck if I have to start over. Key is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.  Hopefully I can create a ticket once it get's here. 

#7 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:11 PM

Ah, that is a different story. I guess it would be worth a call to SP. Then, if they can't do anything about it, at least save some screen shots to reference when you start over.

Mark Petri

#8 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:07 AM

Finish the project before the trial runs out if possible.  Don't use the key yet.  Then when it's finished I believe you can export to dwg.  Not perfect but probably much better than having to start all over.  If you do have to redraw, tracing over dwg's is much easier.

#9 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 06:01 AM

Finish the project before the trial runs out if possible.  Don't use the key yet.  Then when it's finished I believe you can export to dwg.  Not perfect but probably much better than having to start all over.  If you do have to redraw, tracing over dwg's is much easier.

Trial version won't let you export anything, no pdfs dwgs dxfs img... nothing :( 

Screen shot is my only option, if SP can't convert the file. 

On an even more sucky note, my key was supposed to be here yesterday. When it didn't show up I checked UPS tracking and said it "UPS has reported the package as damaged and will send back to shipper"

?????????????? So now I've got to call softplan when they open and see if they can over night me a key b/c I've GOT to get back to work on these plans for my Turkish Clients. Which by the way has been really fun working with them. Their tastes are nothing like what typical american house plans look like. 

#10 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:10 AM

Sorry my suggestion looked better on paper.  It's been a long time since I tried the trial version. 

#11 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:27 AM

Yes I would call SP and alert them about the damage package.  Something returned may not generate the same haste as getting a key out.

#12 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:31 AM

How about taking a screen shot and using the jpg to trace over.

#13 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:46 AM

Hope you get them to send a new key quickly. If not, maybe ask work if they'd let you borrow one for the time being??

Mark Petri

#14 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:24 AM

I am a single user but I have two keys.  The reasons is because I can take my laptop with me and it has its own key.  If something happens and a key malfunctions (has not happened in quite a few years now), I am not stuck without the ability to work because I can use the other.  I hate to transport keys around because they have a chance of getting lost, each key just stays with the computer..  I know it costs, but a client left hanging is not good thing either.  Mailing a new key from SP takes a few days.

I also share the project with the other key so no matter where I am, I have access to my projects.

I have a few keys and one of which I transport back and forth from work and home. I always wished that SoftPlan made a way to log into SoftPlan with a key number and password for the few times that I forget the key in one place or the other. I understand why they want the keys but I wish that there was a simple way for the few times I forget as the other one is definitely not being used at the other location at the time.

• Jon Davis likes this

#15 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 02:14 PM

The ladies at SP are very nice and helpful. Got everything squared away, except it will be tuesday before the new key gets here. She said UPS claimed the box fell off their truck, which, probably didn't damage the key I mean, they are pretty sturdy so I'm sure it would have still worked but, it is what it is now.

#16 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 08 May 2020 - 02:32 PM

Hopefully they use sticky gloves to deliver on Tuesday!

• Jon Davis likes this

Mark Petri

#17 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 02:52 PM

Yeah let's hope!! lol

#18 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 01:46 PM

The answer to this was no... so I'm having to start over. :(

#19 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:50 PM

That is the way they keep folks from hijacking the program for free. It does stink when waiting on a new key. But, think of all the extra practice you got. Now that you have your key it should go pretty fast if you got some screen shots of your dimensions/etc.

Mark Petri

#20 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 03:04 PM

I can’t believe that softplan can’t convert the file, that’s crazy.
  • Jon Davis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users