27 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Kreun

Thomas Kreun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:26 AM

Most of my builder clients use pre-hung interior doors with the 2 1/4" colonial casing. This casing has a 1/4" offset/reveal of the door frame. I can find the "Colonial" interior casing under profiles in system library. When I click on "Edit Symbol" it pulls up the configure profile window but doesn't give me the option to customize the trim. The default of this trim is 2.750" wide. How can I customize or add a new trim profile so I can show the 2.1/4" trim molding on my doors and windows?

Another issue I've discovered is the inside part of trim starts at the outer most edge of the window or door frame when it should show only a 1/4" reveal or overlap of the window or door frame. Any chance this can be customized?

#2 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:22 AM

If you right click on the window/door and edit, you should see a tab on the box that pops up that says interior trim...  You need to set it to custom, then custom again, and then below there's a box for "change profile"

That should allow you to pick from a variety of preset profiles. You can even create your own profile, and use that. You can change the width to anything you want, and the profile to anything as well. 

Attached Files

#3 Thomas Kreun

Thomas Kreun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:38 AM

If you right click on the window/door and edit, you should see a tab on the box that pops up that says interior trim...  You need to set it to custom, then custom again, and then below there's a box for "change profile"

That should allow you to pick from a variety of preset profiles. You can even create your own profile, and use that. You can change the width to anything you want, and the profile to anything as well. 

When I pull up to customize the trim profile the 2.750" is "greyed out" so it wont let me modify it to the 2.250" I'm trying to replicate. ??

Attached Files

• Attached File  trim.png   63.33KB   0 downloads

#4 Thomas Kreun

Thomas Kreun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:42 AM

screen shot. noticed how its greyed out

Attached Files

• Attached File  trim.png   63.33KB   0 downloads

#5 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:38 PM

Thomas go to the website below and you can download their autocad files for all of their trim. Then go to your system options; profiles and use the one step wizard to add the ones you want.

http://www.obwilliam...utocad-download

Rick

#6 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:39 PM

Jon, check your messages

• Jon Davis likes this

#7 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:49 PM

screen shot. noticed how its greyed out

set each material to custom as well, and see if that helps...

#8 Thomas Kreun

Thomas Kreun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:10 PM

Thomas go to the website below and you can download their autocad files for all of their trim. Then go to your system options; profiles and use the one step wizard to add the ones you want.

http://www.obwilliam...utocad-download

Rick

Wizard button is not an option. ???

Attached Files

#9 Thomas Kreun

Thomas Kreun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:42 PM

Okay, Ive figured out how to add moldings to my library. Thanks everyone for the help.

If possible I would like to figure out how the trim molding can be shown as overlapping the window or door frame. The default has the inside edge of the trim starting at the outer edge of the frame. Most interior trim will overlapping usually leaving only a 1/4" reveal. I would like my trim to show a 1/4" reveal rather than showing the width of the window or door frame. Notice how much the trim offset in the attached screenshot ???

Attached Files

#10 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:38 PM

Okay, Ive figured out how to add moldings to my library. Thanks everyone for the help.

If possible I would like to figure out how the trim molding can be shown as overlapping the window or door frame. The default has the inside edge of the trim starting at the outer edge of the frame. Most interior trim will overlapping usually leaving only a 1/4" reveal. I would like my trim to show a 1/4" reveal rather than showing the width of the window or door frame. Notice how much the trim offset in the attached screenshot ???

Sorry it's One Step button

#11 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:40 PM

Maybe your frames are set to 1½"

I'm getting the same thing you did.

Attached Files

#12 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:53 PM

I just remove the frames now it seems to look right.

Attached Files

#13 Thomas Kreun

Thomas Kreun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:41 AM

The Frame Thickness default appears to be 1.50". The system is designed to offset the trim to whatever the Frame Thickness is which is not an accurate depiction of a true door and its trim configuration. A pre-hung 30" bedroom door fits in a 36" wide hallway with standard colonial trim. The default door configuration in SoftPlan will show the trim molding protruding into the walls on each side of the hallway which is not the case with modern day 30" pre-hung doors on the market. The only true work around to this that I've found so far is to change the Frame Thickness to 1/4" which in turn offsets the trim the standard 1/4". Softplan should allow the user to configure the door configuration to accurately show the door frame thickness without the trim offsetting to the outer edge of the door or window frame. 

Attached Files

#14 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:05 AM

Although the trim may fit, a 30" door is in a 32" overall frame, and you will have 2 studs eiither side of the frame, so typically, you would need a 38" structural hallway to fit a 30" door properly.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#15 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:08 AM

I think we're (that's we as a species) getting too fussy with these details. I started drawing by hand in 1974, and everything was perfectly acceptable. Now we're worrying about 1/4" that's going to be printed at 1/4" = 1'-0" ... Is it really worth the trouble?

• Chris Proost, Tom Rogers, Steven Wohlgemuth and 1 other like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#16 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:59 AM

why not make the trim a little wider by a 1/4" that would make up the difference on the sides that is what i do when i design 

a kitchen because on the  design you go by the edge of the trim when i take the room sizes to make sure the cabinets will

not interfear with the trim 

#17 Thomas Kreun

Thomas Kreun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:08 AM

Although the trim may fit, a 30" door is in a 32" overall frame, and you will have 2 studs eiither side of the frame, so typically, you would need a 38" structural hallway to fit a 30" door properly.

Your comment comes across a bit like you are trolling as it really has nothing to do with my original question and doesn't seem to offer any help.

Your are correct if the hallway continues on the other side of the bedroom door but typically this is not the case. The pre-hung doors typically used in my area come with standard 2.25" colonial trim which is shown in the attached framing detail I use. 

Attached Files

• Todd Williard likes this

#18 Thomas Kreun

Thomas Kreun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:16 AM

I think we're (that's we as a species) getting too fussy with these details. I started drawing by hand in 1974, and everything was perfectly acceptable. Now we're worrying about 1/4" that's going to be printed at 1/4" = 1'-0" ... Is it really worth the trouble?

I do a lot of 3D rendering and if I used SoftPlans default door and trim configuration the attached framing detail would not show correctly since SoftPlan has the trim molding offset to what ever the frame thickness is which the default is 1.5". The default trim placement of 1.5" offset will show a large portion of the trim to protrude inside the hallway wall. This looks awfully odd when I'm generating interior renderings so SoftPlan is forcing me to come up with a work around to fix what I consider is a flaw in their system. 

Attached Files

#19 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:02 PM

If you used the website for the trim profile you need to redo it. The trim on your detail is reversed.
  • Thomas Kreun likes this

#20 Thomas Kreun

Thomas Kreun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:07 PM

If you used the website for the trim profile you need to redo it. The trim on your detail is reversed.

Lol! You weren't suppose to call that out. I did that on purpose to see if Keith would call me out on that. For some reason and most likely Im wrong his comment came across like he was trolling or he is really really smart and wants everyone to know it. 

• Todd Williard likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users