• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Carole Berg

Carole Berg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

Do you prefer to use two monitors or one wide monitor when it comes to viewing child windows and why?  We are considering both and although we have 21" wide monitors, the child windows seem a little squashed on it.  So we are looking at 27" wide monitors and keeping the child screens on the same monitor, or adding another 21" and have the child screens on the other monitor.  Two 21" monitors seems like a lot of monitor space being used on the desk though.  Thoughts anyone?

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:12 PM

I have two 27" monitors and would like to add a third

• Carole Berg likes this

#3 Jack Carson

Jack Carson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSouthaven, MS & Frederiksted, St. Croix USVI

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:29 AM

Carol, I have two monitors.  My neighbor works on computers and gave me 21" monitor.  The advantage is that when I have a customer come in to review plans or "what would it look like if I changed....?" they do not have to look over my shoulder, they can view the changes on the second monitor. 

Jack

• Carole Berg likes this

#4 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:44 AM

I have 2 24" monitors and would never go back to a single monitor no matter what size it was. 2 monitors allow you to keep applications and child windows maximized and not have to constantly ALT TAB or split screen to view multiple  windows.

Phil

• Carole Berg likes this

#5 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:08 AM

Two Monitors without question. A third one would be icing on the cake. You can have your floor plan on one, the 3d on the other, and on the third screen you can check email or do a web search for products or specs. I would never go back to just one monitor.

• Carole Berg likes this

#6 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:15 AM

I have three 27" monitors and I am going to add a 4th. One has Softplan, one has AutoCAD and the third has my Outlook and AutoCAD Tool Pallets. When I get the forth one it will be for our project management software. When I need temporary multiple Softplan windows I have lots of desktop room to play with.

Got to have the toys!

• Carole Berg likes this

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:29 AM

Damn, feel like the odd one out here. I work on a 17" laptop with a 21" monitor attached. Use the monitor as my main drawing window (I also use a attached keyboard), and the laptop is the child window. A third would be great ...

If you use Softplan's 3D, I can't imagine you trying to use Softplan efficiently without a second monitor.

Like Phil and Warren said earlier, I would never go back to a single monitor.

• Carole Berg likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#8 Keith Owens

Keith Owens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:41 AM

I use (2) 28" and (1) 24" monitor together. After using a setup like this I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. Does require a lot of desk space though. As others have mentioned, it's benefits are not just for the use of Softplan, but multitasking with other applications as well. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Monitors.JPG

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:51 AM

I'm extremely envious Keith ...

Check out this bad boy ............ 8 - 30" High resolution screens ... If only I had a spare $18,500 ($16,333 + 13% tax).

Attached Thumbnails

• 2015.07.17_09h48m56s_001.png

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#10 Carole Berg

Carole Berg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

Thanks guys!  You have convinced us!  I like the trader monitors the best :D , but alas, we don't have a mega company's $ behind us.  We'll start with the double monitors and go from there!

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

Just one word of caution. Make sure that your computer will support additional monitors, before you buy one. Not all do, although these days it is more prevalent.

Keith

#12 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:02 PM

If you are up against a wall, I bought some simple cleats from Home Depot and they line up perfectly with the 100mm X 100mm mounts. So I hung 2 on my wall to clear up desk space and have the third on a regular stand.

Capture DESK.JPG

#13 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:19 PM

That's a pretty tidy desk Brian.

Keith

#14 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:59 AM

That's a pretty tidy desk Brian.

Well it is just sitting in my basement so I try and keep it clean so that we can use it for entertaining when people are over. That is why I designed it as a counter height with the stools around it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users