#1 Paul Gsell

Paul Gsell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:20 AM

Hey everyone, I need to create some simple 3d symbols in SP and was wondering if you could create them in a new drawing in the same project before saving or if they had to be created in a whole new project? It's been a while since I've done it and I'm a bit rusty. I tried a couple times without success. Can someone direct me to a tutorial or thread that walks you through. I'm ok with using the wizard once you get to that point but creating the solid symbol and getting it saved is where I think my problem is. Thanks!

What I need to do is create some some decorative trim like "ginger bread" type details up in the top of the gables, finish the landscaping and a few other details and I think this one's about done.

Attached Thumbnails

• TEXTURED.jpg

#2 Paul Gsell

Paul Gsell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:28 AM

Oh, and one more thing. Isn't there a feature that curves things like planting beds where they meet the sidewalk. I'm trying to give the planting bed and grass some depth above the sidewalk/driveway but i don't want it to look blocky.

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:34 AM

I would always use a new drawing, but not necessarily a new project. Change the model so that it only includes that drawing, or saving is an issue.

For simple trim, I would create the shape in plan. Select all the pieces with CTRL and marquee (box) select. Then EDIT > FORM SOLID POLYGON. In the 3D window, Save as DWG (Seems to be the best option in my opinion). Then reorient as necessary with the symbol wizard. For more complex trims you can build up the pieces at differing offsets and thicknesses as necessary.

Chemcrest has some fantastic 2D DWG files of their trims that you can download and insert then change to 3D as above.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

You can add curves to planting beds by edge editing and adding deflections as necessary. You can also draw with splines.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#5 Paul Gsell

Paul Gsell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:26 AM

Thanks guys. I have the creating symbols thing down again. What I was talking about as far as the flower bed goes is the actual corner of it. I have it offset slightly higher than my grass so I get a hard corner on the top side. I was thinking there was an option you check on a site polygon that would automatically ease that edge (round the corner over). Maybe I'm thinking wrong...I don't know.

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

Ahh .... vertical curves. I don't think that's an available feature. However, I've been wrong before. I'd keep it at the same height as the grass. or 0.1" above it.

Keith

#7 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:57 AM

Try editing the surface in 3d and check "smoothing" under the options tab.

#8 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

you can do a vertical curve with a "beam"

or

half cylinder in symbol shapes

and you can form a polygon into a solid

(EDIT / form solid polygon)

open in softview and save it as a 3d model.

and use  the symbols wizard

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

Okay, Here's a quick suggestion ....

Create a new library called EDGINGS (or similar) under SYSTEM LIBRARY > FENCE DEFINITIONS and create a new "Fence" that only has one rail, without an offset. You can then define any profile to make the fence. All you have to do is texture it to match the soil, or even texture it as a concrete edging.

Since it's a fence it will follow your ground, and you can simply trace round the planting beds. You could also copy the planting bed, change the line to fence and design a fence on the fly.

DARN  ...... it appears that fences can't have rounded sections ... if you use enough straight sections it may look rounded. The edit menu allows you to add deflections, but wont draw the fence rounded.

Okay, it works  for straight planting beds - just watch where you actually position it or it will follow the height of the planting beds, not the grass

I may have to put in a bit more thought into this  .... Unless anyone else has any idea's

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users