#1 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:56 AM

Hi guys, I am new to the forum here and new to SoftPlan as well. I have been struggling with creating a custom window and getting it to display properly in the 3D model. I have gone through the tutorial that I believe Keith has posted numerous times, yet the 3D still will not extrude properly. I created the custom window using that step by step process, but when I look at it in 3D it seems like the lines are only extruding instead of SoftPlan creating the solid extrusions for the frame, sash, glazing, and glass. After going through this process many times, I decided to just create the 3D model of the window in SketchUp and assign that model to the SoftPlan window, but doing it that caused SoftPlan to extrude the SketchUp model to a random very large depth. I will attach 2 images of the 3D views to show what I am talking about. I would greatly appreciate any help on this issue. Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:43 PM

Typically, if only the frame lines extrude, then something is amiss with the way the lines join. You can't have any lines that aren't filleted correctly, Softplan has to be able to follow the frame, sashes, beads and glass completely to understand where each is located.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 05:00 PM

Should the shapes be drawn as line segments or polygon shapes? I drew them with polygons, I don't know if that could cause the issue that I am having.

#4 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 18 January 2021 - 05:46 PM

Did you start merely with shapes or try using an elevation opening and follow shapes, or adjust it to fit your size/configuration? in the "Draw" menu you can choose "opening shapes" under "Detail" and typically get a good elevation opening to work with. Save that to the elevation opening folder of your choice in System Library. Then reference it when making your window. Is that how you did it?

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#5 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:26 AM

I did use an opening detail of the arc top window to begin with. I then exploded it once, right click edit and added the sash, then exploded it again. From that point I began modifying the shape to the one seen above but I used polygon shapes from the draw menu to create it. Then once it was drawn I added it to both the elevation and elevation openings libraries. I'm just wondering if maybe using polygon shapes is where the problem is at. I am more confused about the SketchUp model extruding incorrectly though, it looks correct in the preview window and I know it is modeled to the correct size, but SoftPlan extrudes it to the weird depth shown in that first image.

#6 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:39 AM

I don't know about the sketchup model, but try the window using lines instead of polygons. I think SP uses the lines to create its own polygons.

#7 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:11 AM

It is much easier to use an "opening shape" polygon from the detail menu and trace lines and arcs for the shapes you want. Then, mull as many window shapes together that you want to create the arched 3 window unit you are showing. You can choose whether it has a sash or not, among other selections. It is a quicker way to get a window that will model correctly.

Mark Petri

#8 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:10 PM

Ok so I have gone through this process again for what feels like the millionth time using an existing opening shape to start with and using lines instead of polygons yet I still continue to get the same outcome. I also made sure to fillet every corner to ensure that the lines are connected properly. Is there some step by step video out there that I can watch instead of just text instructions so I can ensure I am not missing something? I have an open SoftPlan ticket for this issue as well but they gave me the same step by step instruction which leads to the same final product shown above. Is the window I am trying to create just too complicated or unique for SoftPlan to figure out how to extrude in 3D? Or is there anyone here that can point me in the right direction as to how to get the SketchUp model to extrude properly in 3D? I have been struggling with this window creation issue since last week and I need to find some process that I can use to create custom windows due to the highly customized nature of the homes we build.

#9 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:14 PM

Try it with using the opening shapes at the top of the "details" tab under the "drawing" tool tab. Just use that to trace a shape of the window you want, and use the opening shape itself. Don't use lines for your elevation opening.

Mark Petri

#10 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:28 PM

Sorry I didn't mention that in the last post, but I did try using an elevation opening and just moving/adjusting the existing lines from that shape to form the new desired shape but it also gave me the same outcome. I feel like there must be something small I am missing somewhere but I have tried going through this process numerous times and feel like I have hit a wall here. I appreciate all the feedback though, the community here is very helpful!

#11 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:14 PM

Here are the basic steps for creating a window using the "Detail", "Opening Shape", save as "Opening Elevation" method. Then you just need to either create the composite of the 3 windows as a window unit or each on their own and draw them in your model and move them next to each other so they group.

Pic 1 - draw some shapes to give yourself guidelines for the outside edges of the windows you want to create in elevation.

Pic 2 - go to the "Draw" tab in your toolbar, select "Detail", select "Opening Shapes", select "Polygon" (for the sides in this example) and "Round Top" (for the center) and draw using your cursor snap and the lines/arcs/etc you drew to guide yourself. Adjust the opening shape as needed to get the look you want.

Pic 3 - repeat for each window

Pic 4 - save each window shape as their own elevation opening

Pic 5 - if symmetrical you can just select and mirror the left window shape to the right so you only trace one opening polygon for the side window.

Pic 6 - Go to "System Options", "System Library", "Openings", and create the opening you want

Attached Files

• Joseph Smith, Richard Rubinski, Stephan Page and 1 other like this

Mark Petri

#12 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the in depth instructions Mark! So is exploding the detail elevation opening shapes an unnecessary step? Maybe that is where I went wrong originally. Also, when I trace over my shape for the side windows using the polygon shape opening, I cannot figure out how to get the top edge to be arced. I know with just the regular draw polygon command you can edit an edge to give it deflection, but I dont see that option when I try to right click edit the opening edge.

#13 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:45 AM

David you can offset the vertical lines 6" or so, then you can unlock your cursor with the snap on and snap to each of the intersections at the top of your opening until you close the polygon.

Attached Files

• David Johnson likes this

#14 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:18 AM

Don't explode it. And, as Richard shows you can set intervals to snap to with lines. Also, most arcs are segmented which will allow you to snap as well (but Richard's method is better).

Mark Petri

#15 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the help guys, the individual windows are now extruding correctly! The only thing I am stuck on now is assembling them into a single unit. Is there a way to adjust the join tolerance? I need it to be a single unit but I need 5.5" between each window, however when I space them that distance apart it still treats them as individual windows so there is exterior wall material showing between the windows.

#16 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:10 PM

Increase the number of Jack studs.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#17 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:35 AM

Finally got it to display correctly! Thanks for all the help guys!

#18 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:39 AM

It would be nice if we could have mullion the would follow the arch on the top of the window unit.

Attached Files

#19 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:05 PM

You can also assemble them as one unit. Either by starting with one of the windows in the opening configure window just like you created the single windows, but adding windows next to each other. Or, you can get the spacing the way you like on your plan, then select all 3 windows and go to the edit menu on top of your drawing screen and choose unit openings (assuming you have it on that toolbar). Then it will ask you to select the windows you want to "unit" and what you want to name them, then combine them into one unit. Then, at least, trim ought to behave better.

Mark Petri

#20 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:26 PM

When I do that it still have the mull higher on one side.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Unit.JPG   90.07KB   1 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users