James Quesenberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSouth West Virginia

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:03 PM

Hello,

I used Keith Almond's guide to create an interior door this afternoon but there are issues with the door not having any edges. I have since created a model in Sketchup of an interior door that I would like to add as a door in SP. I have added the Sketchup model to the program as a symbol but how do I get that symbol converted to an actual door? Do I do some things differently at the start of Keith's Guide or is it an entirely different process?

Thank you,

Jerry

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:56 AM

I've never tried to create a sketchup model as an opening. Normally sketchup models are linked to a 2D representation for standard symbols. Not sure if you can do that for a door. I'll have to do a little research.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 James Quesenberry

James Quesenberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:58 PM

Let me ask you this then. When looking at our project model in 3d what folder under SP are the interior & exterior doors being pulled from?

Thank you,

Jerry

#4 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:39 PM

i would presume >

softplan v2016 / openings / interior door > pick style folder.

i haven't tried to create a custom interior door in a while

but the interior doors that we get with softplan show as solid in softview

what do you mean when you say "the doors i create following keiths tutorial don't have any edges" ?

are you saying this happens in an interior elevation ? or what ?

i checked out the interior doors with "interior elevation" and saved as and

check it out after i saved it and it was fine / all edges showing

/  softview (doors open) - doors look solid.

i must be checking out the wrong thing

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:42 PM

Randy, create a custom interior door. Does it have edges? If so how did you get them to show. No matter what I do, I haven't been able to make them solid - open doors just show as 2 sides, with no edges.

I agree all the standard doors do, but they were not created in Softplan.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:30 AM

Jerry,

The 3D Softplan doors are being pulled from the folder "C:\SoftPlan\3D\3D Symbols\Door" the objects in this folder are all DWG files.

It may be that you have to import your Sketchup door. Go through the Symbol wizard, and make a 3D object that Softplan understands, save it as a DWG, and then link that DWG file with a Softplan elevation opening.

Keith

#7 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:05 PM

has anyone asked softplan tech about this ?

btw,

i put a plain "elev opening" on the drawing which comes with a frame on 3 sides (both sides and top)

i edit it and put none for sill and gave it a name.

i than used this to create a new elev opening and gave it a new name.

than went thru the "opening" routine and used the elev opening and gave this a new opening name.

i put this elevation opening in a partition wall and the frame was in the wall and

the doors ended up away from the door and not in the wall > they were standing proud

all by themselves.

btw,  the doors had a thickness to them.

on all most all the test doors i did, the doors staying withing the frame in the wall BUT there was no thickness.

just one thin plane for the door.

note: this happened to me a long time ago and forgot what the fix was.

note: i also drew an initial on the elevation opening before i made it into an elevation opening

and it showed up on one of my test doors but not the 2nd one >

must be doing something wrong but i have make custom doors and windows before

and usually they came out OK.

maybe it's time to check out the "HELP" in v16.2.3  (latest update)

or

go to the "home depot" and buy one of their cheap doors.

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:45 PM

has anyone asked softplan tech about this ?

Yes, I have submitted a Tech Request. I'll let you know the response.

If you use leaf or solid, it's supposed to show as solid, and the default is leaf. However, it only works (or at least only seems to work) if you add a window into the leaf. I generated 16 test doors this morning and the only one that had a thickness was the one designed with an integral window in the leaf.

Keith

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

Jerry,

Follow the tutorial http://softplan.com/...odels-tutorial/ to get your Sketchup door into Softplan.

Once you have it as a Softplan model, create a new temporary project and ONLY add the 2D plan view of new door to the plan. View this in the 3D model, and in the 3D model tab.

Go to FILE > EXPORT > DWG and save the model as a dwg file. It may be a good idea to save it in the "C:\SoftPlan\3D\3D Symbols\Door" diectory with the other doors.

Draw an ELEVATION OPENING to match, and create the relevant ELEVATION OPENINGS And OPENINGS as per the garage door tutorial.

Once you have done that, Go back into FILE > SYSTEM OPTIONS > SYSTEM LIBRARY> Go to LIBRARY TYPE > ELEVATION OPENINGS. Go to the elevation opening you created and click EDIT SYMBOL button.

You should now be able to LINK the softplan symbol to the DWG file you exported earlier.

Keith

#10 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:46 PM

here's what i got when i used the existing plain door with the frame for the elevation opening

and the opening.

notice the doors have a thickness.

we've had this issue in the past - a few version ago but can't remember the fix

or what caused it.

click to enlarge

doors out of frames.JPG

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#11 James Quesenberry

James Quesenberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:58 PM

Hey Keith,

I would have posted earlier but I have been out all day. I finally got it all figured out about 2:00 in the morning last night after several days of research. For a beginner this is without a doubt a very arduous process especially when you throw first time Sketchup user in to the mix. I took your tutorial and pieces of an article from Bill Wimberley over at SotfPlanTuts on creating craftsman columns and smashed them together to finally get it right. I can't tell you how excited I was when I finally saw the work actually show up in the model. The gist of it went like this.

1) Create Sketchup model for each door opening size.

2) (Wimberly Tutorial) Import model as symbol using System Library - Type - Symbols into preferred directory using wizard.

3) (Almond Tutorial) Create Elevation Opening using System Library - Type - Elevation Opening but linking it to the model created in step #2.

4) (Almond & Wimberley Tutorial) Create Opening using System Library - Type - Opening and editing inforamtion and adding materials to it.

I'm sure to you advanced users this isn't a big deal but to me it was like someone telling me to learn algebra and giving me the textbook but no teacher. That's why I can't thank you all of you guys enough for your input and assistance in answering all of my questions on the forum.

Thank you,

Jerry Quesenberry

Attached Thumbnails

• Images.png
  • Models.png

#12 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:30 AM

This is the gist of the conversation with Tech Support:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Q.

Creating new doors from scratch doesn't seem to work as the HELP menu implies. Using solid and leaf in the doors is supposed to indicate that the doors are solid in 3D. However, the doors seem to ONLY show as solid if you add an some sort of opening into the door itself i.e glazing. Or am I constructing doors wrongly. 

A.

Use "Solid" if the opening is a sidelight. This specifies that the sidelight around the glazing is made of a solid material. Glazing can then be added to the solid surface. Use "Leaf" if the opening is a door. This specifies that the door is made of a solid material. Glazing can then be added to the solid surface if required. Use "None" for windows, never a door. Your "Test 13" and "Test 16" doors have "None" selected for their composition, so the program is a assuming them as window without glazing (needs Bead to include glazing). 

Q.

Understood. Most of the test doors were just an experiment. However, no matter what I do, I don't seem to be able to create a solid door unless I add glass into it. Using leaf in a solid door without glass still seem to result in the door only having 2 sides in the 3d and no edges. Can you prove or disprove this at your end? 

A.

I understand the concern now. There are no "Edges" to doors, seen when the door is opened, and no 3D link is assigned to the elevation opening. Will forward your concern onto development.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This looks like something that isn't working as planned ...

Keith

#13 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:34 PM

i've done lot's of elevation openings and openings using past versions.

don't remember having issues such as we seem to be having in v2016.

either were doing something wrong or there's a glitch.

it's never been this difficult to create a custom door.

time to call in tech support.

or maybe this would be a good time for tech to

come over to splash and let us "ALL" know how it's done.

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#14 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:02 PM

To be honest I think this was the same in 2014. I normally use standard doors for interiors, and all my exterior doors are always closed in the model, so I wouldn't normally pick up on it, and it's therefore not an issue to me. However, I do remember seeing it before.

I think there are a lot of users who use Softplan as it comes out of the box, and so wouldn't see these issues.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users