#1 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:09 PM

Ok fellow SP users, i'm back with a question that is related to my AutoCAD experience and hoping someone here has an answer. In AutoCAD Architecture, along with creating a custom job template, I also customized my install to automatically insert certain symbols onto my created template layers directly out of the AutoCAD library. For example, I could drag any electrical tagged symbol from the library, and it would automatically be placed onto the ELECTRICAL layer in my drawing, no matter what the current active layer was in the drawing. Any dimensions created with a dimension command would automatically be created on the DIMENSIONS layer in the drawing. This goes for some other symbols and objects as well. I'm curious to know if there is a way to do this in SoftPlan itself, or if the only work around is to create a drawing that has the commonly used symbols in my custom SP template already assigned to their respective layers, then copying or using draw select to add them to the project drawings as I go. Basically, I am trying to eliminate having to draw items, then right-click-edit them to assign them to layer, or changing the active layer constantly. Hopefully my rambling question/explanation makes sense...

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:20 PM

A layer can be defined in the Symbol library for ALL of Softplan's symbols. Electrical items are in a MODE. Softplan understands what (for example) dimensions are, and they can be isolated separately.

The question I would like to address is WHY do you find the need to add everything on a separate layers? ... Is that because that is how you did it in AutoCAD? or are there specific reasons - I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm genuinely curious!

Softplan runs entirely differently from AutoCAD and limiting items by layer destroys some of the functionality. For example: You can add dimensions to the floor system on the plan and the drawing mode on the same plan. If you put them on layers too, I believe that destroys some functionality, or could I be wrong. I draw decks on the default layer and turn off the deck board display, as I find it distracting and over busy. I may be wrong ... again ... but I've found that if I draw a deck on the (my) decks layer, then it's seems to be all or nothing, and I can't figure out how not to have the deckboards displayed. So I this case I definitely think there is a downside to using layers.

When I used layers in AutoCAD it was mainly to define the pens to draw things in. That's not necessary with Softplan. In fact my colleagues draw everything in the default layer, and never have any issues. I myself have my Softplan configured in 20+ layers, and normally never use more than 2 or 3 (although not necessarily the same 2 or 3) ... I just don't find it necessary.

Obviously you can work any way that you wish, and whatever works for you is great. Is it a mindset though, or is it genuinely helpful?

• David Johnson likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:22 PM

In all symbols you can assign a layer if you want. You'd have to go through the libraries and assign the layers. For other things, I try to draw them in the appropriate mode, but also have layers set up that I use as the default when drawing in that mode. For instance, I have a "roof only" layer, a "floor only" layer. I use those when I am drawing symbols, notes, dimensions or other parts I want to be sure to have visible when the mode I am working on is visible, but not when in other modes. Or, if I want to break out certain parts I can turn that layer on and off.

• David Johnson likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:23 PM

What Keith said...

Mark Petri

#5 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:10 AM

It's probably a combination of just my working preference and years of AutoCAD habits. My mind tends to jump around when drawing, and sometimes it is less distracting for me to be able to turn off certain layers to help me focus on one aspect of the drawing without being sidetracked by so many things on the screen at once. Plus, I have my layers set up with assigned colors instead of the SP default item assigned colors to help me distinguish things more easily, but if I draw them all on the default layer, then I either need to leave them as SP assigned colors, or manually change the items through the edit menu. In the end, I guess it probably all comes down to changing my mindset to fit into the SP workflow instead of trying to force SP to fit into my AutoCAD workflow. I'm just struggling a little to break 10 years of AutoCAD drafting habits and need to change the way my mind works through the drawing process. I probably need to spend a little more time working with the item visibilities in various drawing modes since it seems like that is how SP is designed to work. Thanks for the responses!

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:13 AM

One thing that may be advantageous for you, is to make sure that every item in the pen configuration menu is configured to print in the pen that you prefer. I'm sure you have noticed that the drawing pen colours are purely cosmetic and and the drawn colour doesn't relate to anything in any way.

The visible items menu is invaluable. Set up a toolbar icon to quickly bring up the visible items them you can turn items on and off quickly.

If you like working in layers, there's nothing to stop you.

To clarify ... when i said earlier "A layer can be defined in the Symbol library for ALL of Softplan's symbols." What I meant was that every symbol includes a layer selection in it's definition. For example I have all my furnishing items set on a layer called "Furniture" that prints in a light grey pen, so that it isn't obtrusive.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#7 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 10:49 AM

That's a helpful tip, at least I can set furniture symbols to the custom layer to allow for printing as a faded layer or turning off completely. I feel like I have already learned a lot since starting to use SoftPlan back in November, but I learn something new everytime I cruise through the forums here. Thanks for the help guys!

• Mark Petri likes this

#8 Jeremy Plum

Jeremy Plum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBishop, Ca.

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:19 PM

you might want to mess around with the Building Options functionality. It got much more robust in the 2022 release and is great for all the purposes you mentioned as well as being useful for Plansets and Softlist. I been refining my use of it over the last few years and it is invaluable.

$.02 

• David Zawadzki likes this

Jeremy Plum

Plum Design & Construction

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:59 PM

I really think you are using Building Options wrong if you are using them just to control visibilities! You can do that by other means. They are for doing what it says on the tin ... allowing you to create many different options and layouts for a single building.

Keith

#10 Jeremy Plum

Jeremy Plum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBishop, Ca.

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:28 AM

I really think you might not be unleashing it's full power if you only use it for different options and layouts! It is very useful in that it controls from the model stack what is shown on plansets, calculated in softlist, shown in 3D, controls pens and much more with the click of a button. Plus it is project wide not just limited to a drawing. Entailed in all that is the ability to create different options and layouts for a single Project (not just building). 

• Gary McKeon and David Zawadzki like this

Jeremy Plum

Plum Design & Construction

#11 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:28 AM

I use building option groups for tenant finish plans so I can only have the items on for the current tenant space I am working on and not all the extras showing for other spaces. Saves on the size of the model too. It works well for how I've set it up, but I bet others have it even more finely tuned to do more.

Mark Petri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users