23 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 02:26 PM

I'm working on plans for a client that want's rounded corners when their sheet rock is finished.... Is there a way to make walls show a fillet edge

at hard corners?

• David Zawadzki likes this

#2 James Holley

James Holley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis Metro, Indiana

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:18 AM

I'm working on plans for a client that want's rounded corners when their sheet rock is finished.... Is there a way to make walls show a fillet edge

at hard corners?

Not likely as of yet, unless I am missing something. I have a "suggestion list" and this is an item I think would be useful "end of wall treatment" draw a wall to display a floor to ceiling opening, w/no header, mine often shows the end stud, where as I'd like it to show the walls materials "wrapping the end". This is all stuff for 3-D, but in general I produce a render with every job and many interiors and yes, this would be another great function, "wall finish corner treatment"

• Jon Davis likes this

James L. Holley

SoftPlan user since 1993

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence

#3 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Ks

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:03 AM

The ways of the past is how I typically accomplish something like showing small radius cornes....both inside and outside radius....a note and reference a large scale detail which usually was a xerox "cut and tape" ....and yes I remember the blue line prints and the smell of amonia as a project's drawings were printed and sent out the door....being 71 does have some advanages.
  • Jon Davis likes this

Harlon G. " Buddy " Suttle
casekc49@gmail.com
CELL: 913-339-6242

#4 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:47 AM

I'm only 40 and even I remember the smell of ammonia and warming up the blue machine. Even had to deal with a few Vellum set's of plans.  

#5 Bruce Jennings

Bruce Jennings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:30 PM

I think a better way is to tell your client those rounded corners went out of style in the 90s.

• Jon Davis likes this

#6 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:59 PM

They are paying me to draw, I don't care what they do with the wall corners. lol 

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:34 AM

Isn't adding rounded drywall corners themselves a little bit of "overkill" on blueprints? A note should be sufficient. I hope they are paying you really well if they expect the 3D models to be that detailed that you show round corners. Most of my interiors don't even show railings. Does anyone else have issues making railings stay where they are put?

Now, having said that, if you're using SOFTLIST it may be useful for someone to be able to select the right drywall corners from the takeoff especially for people who work for lumber yards!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#8 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:37 AM

Wow, thought those went out in the late 80’s, I remember trying to cut base around those corners till they started making radius base corners..lol, guess that’s a subject for the next post..... I think the thing that killed them was the painters had no way to do a clean cut line, and good luck fixing them when they get dented.

just get the interior designer to spec round corners?, I’ve never seen a drywaller look at a plan....lol

#9 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:55 AM

Well, yes a note will be sufficient but she's pretty picky so, if I could make it show it I was going to do so. 

However, now she's wanting to start completely over with a new plan, and I'm pretty close to walking away and cutting my losses. 

#10 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:08 AM

Here is one website that offers free dwg/dxf drawing files for drywall trim and if ya look around at some of the vids on the site, a lot of great info on special details that will help set you apart from the same old "square corner" designer.... the first part in Architecture is the word ART.....an old adage " BE THERE OR BE SQUARE" ....https://www.trim-tex...rative-corners/
  • Jon Davis and David Zawadzki like this

casekc49@gmail.com

#11 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:47 AM

Well, yes a note will be sufficient but she's pretty picky so, if I could make it show it I was going to do so. 

However, now she's wanting to start completely over with a new plan, and I'm pretty close to walking away and cutting my losses. 

"Cutting your losses?"  This sounds like a good money maker to me.  Charge her for your time and you should be okay.  

A couple years ago I had a customer who had me design him about a half dozen different houses... found out his wife was calling the shots behind the scene and was changing her mind based on what was going on from the shows she was watching on HGTV. 

Ended up with them buying an old farm house and remodeling it.  They never used any of the new house designs as far as I know.

• Jon Davis likes this
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#12 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:00 PM

Jon:

My apoligies....I fogot to mention that a full size on site complete mockup with trim, baseboards completely finished etc that will stay in place is one of the best ways to let the home owner see what she is getting and one fatal mistakes folks make is A TOO PEFECT mockup....
  • Jon Davis likes this

casekc49@gmail.com

#13 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:34 PM

Tell her she ought to get her eyes checked, cuz the corners are rounded and you can't believe she can't see that. Or turn off visibility for drywall B at a section of walls at the corners and place a solid polygon in it's place with the corners rounded? Or, take it into SketchUp and round the corners there? Or, tell her everyone is doing 6" rounded corners now- it's the new trend!

• Harlon Suttle likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#14 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:13 PM

You could try a cylinder set proud of the drywall.  Not perfect but may give the 3d effect you're looking for.

Attached Thumbnails

• ROUND DRYWALL CORNER.PNG
  • ROUND DRYWALL CORNER 3d.PNG

#15 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:53 AM

Tell her that you don’t know of any software that automatically does bull-nosed corners but for an extra $12,000 you will manually get it done for her.
  • Keith Almond and Gary Wicklund like this
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#16 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:40 AM

Here is a link for pictures of the solution of the base at interior and exterior rounded corners....a copy of an image and then import into SP....

https://www.google.c...=YPoJW0v6qnSJLM

casekc49@gmail.com

#17 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:26 AM

Got it....found this Sketchup model, installed in SP and then applied....bingo a very nice looking corner....and when in 3d mode, move the symbol to the correct position...

https://3dwarehouse....ner?tab=general

Attached Thumbnails

• Round Drywall Corner .JPG

• Mark Petri likes this

casekc49@gmail.com

#18 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:50 AM

A inside corner is with this sketchup model imported then edited the height to 8 ft ....here is the link

https://3dwarehouse....Inside-Corner-H

Attached Thumbnails

• Inside Round Drywall Corner .JPG

casekc49@gmail.com

#19 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:33 PM

lol... looks like too much work to me. I'm just going to stick with a note.

• David Zawadzki likes this

#20 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:43 PM

Jon,
Glad you asked the question.....I am 71, seen a lot and forgot some important stuff...on site full scale mock-up....that is one of the most effective methods of developing client/designer/ builder understanding of what is important to all parties concern and issues of whatever item of a project is being MOCKED -UP....and that is a great time to have a complete as possible understanding of all the nuances that exist. A forgotten method and thanks again for asking...good to keep the gray cells energized ....This forum needs alot more interaction on so many different subjects about usage of SoftPlan....The SoftPlan is a great tool, from marketing to production of the end product.
  • Jon Davis likes this

casekc49@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users