#1 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:11 AM

Has anyone else here had an issue with really long lag times when initiating certain commands? It seems to happen to me most commonly when right-clicking an item or object to edit it. Usually the lag from the click to when the menu pops up is 5-10 seconds, but there have been times where I wait a full minute or more before the menu finally pops up. I deal with this occasionally when trying to use the move or copy command as well. I assumed at first that maybe it was project specific since the project I was working on had a lot of data and custom 3D objects in it, but it seems to happen in most projects that I work on. I don't believe it to be an issue with PC hardware, since SoftPlan is the only program I use that has any kind of noticeable lag and the parts are all fairly high end. I don't know if there is some kind of background process or setting that may be causing SP to bog down. I have even tried copying project folders off of our server to my local hard drive, and did not seem to see much improvement. Any ideas? I have submitted this particular issue to support for a couple different projects, and we have not seemed to be able to figure out the problem. Any ideas?

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:13 AM

Yep, I've had a few times in 3D recently where I right clicked and the program just locks up and churns without ceasing. Not sure what the deal is but log files have been submitted to SP.

• Denis Reis likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:44 AM

I occasionally have the same issue when editing items. I just restart the program and it seems to take care of the problem.

#4 Bryan Schultz

Bryan Schultz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:02 AM

Same here and the restart also works.

#5 Steven Kirchoff

Steven Kirchoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSt. Cloud, Minnesota

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:15 PM

Same problem here, Rebooting seems to help.

#6 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:36 PM

Thanks guys. I usually do a restart when it start to get ridiculously long lag times, I was just hoping someone had a more permanent solution. Reboots and restarts numerous times a day gets old!

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:48 PM

Check whether the drawing is using PROJECT OPTIONS or DRAWING OPTIONS. I've found that stupid things like changing an extension from edge to centre takes forever as SOFTPLAN (in it's infinite wisdom) is changing that setting throughout the whole project, and then changing it back again 5 minutes later, since I only wanted it changed for one item.

I complained to Softplan, as it's so much of a hassle to me that I wanted ALL my drawings to default back to drawing options rather than project options. That's not an option, so I've ended up changing every drawing to Custom Drawing options manually.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#8 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:43 AM

David.

What happens if you save your drawings locally and also keep your symbols locally?

Please try to save to the default Projects folder on your C: drive and move your Symbols location to your C: drive. 

Before making the change, please do a couple of speed tests where you see a lag and record the times so that you can try the same tasks after the change. Once you are done, please let us know your results.

You may also want to see if there is a difference with the 3D preview turned off.

Thanks.

#9 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:34 PM

I've been having a lag sorta as discribed above, with one project. It is/was a project i had in the project folder of the Beta copy. Things were lagging and then some weird stuff i won't try to discribe..

So i created a project in the new release 2022 and moved the drawings there, and so far seems to maybe have fixed the issue.

I did a ticket 66660 for it

#10 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 08:02 AM

David.

What happens if you save your drawings locally and also keep your symbols locally?

Please try to save to the default Projects folder on your C: drive and move your Symbols location to your C: drive. 

Before making the change, please do a couple of speed tests where you see a lag and record the times so that you can try the same tasks after the change. Once you are done, please let us know your results.

You may also want to see if there is a difference with the 3D preview turned off.

Thanks.

Sorry to take so long to get back to you Brent. I have tried saving a few projects to my local drive and working on them from there. My symbols were also set to the default pathway. I still cannot seem to discern any pattern to the lag. It happens to various projects, but it still seems to be most common when trying to right-click-edit an item/object. This has happened even in new projects where there is a minimal number of objects in the project. I was thinking that maybe it could have been a local server issue, but having the same issues with projects located on my PC leads me to believe that might not be where the problem is. Unfortunately, I do not know where to look next.

#11 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:26 AM

I did a screen capture video in one particular project that has a very long lag time, however I cannot seem to post it into a reply due to the file size. Basically, to right-click-edit a stair section in the drawing, it takes roughly 45 seconds from the time I click edit to the time when the edit menu finally pops up. Then I click the check box for a direction arrow to be turned on, and it takes just under 30 seconds from click to the time the arrow finally appears and SP is not locked up anymore. This project that I was in at the time is saved to my local hard drive, so I do not believe there should be any connection lag issues, especially when I am just trying to open the edit menu. 

#12 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:30 PM

I did a screen capture video in one particular project that has a very long lag time, however I cannot seem to post it into a reply due to the file size. Basically, to right-click-edit a stair section in the drawing, it takes roughly 45 seconds from the time I click edit to the time when the edit menu finally pops up. Then I click the check box for a direction arrow to be turned on, and it takes just under 30 seconds from click to the time the arrow finally appears and SP is not locked up anymore. This project that I was in at the time is saved to my local hard drive, so I do not believe there should be any connection lag issues, especially when I am just trying to open the edit menu.

What kind of computer hardware setup are you running?
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#13 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 05:30 AM

As per my earlier comment, is this drawing using project options or drawing options? If you're using project options, change to drawing options (you can always change it back), and test it again. Do you still have the same lag problems?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#14 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 09:23 AM

David - I am using an Alienware PC with an Intel Core i7-10700k (not currently overclocked), 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2070 Super video card, and 1 TB SSD. I can't imagine that with this setup there would be hardware issues, but maybe one of the components has compatibility issues?

Keith - I have tried swapping from project and drawing options and vice versa, but have not noticed it making a difference. It's hard to pinpoint since it seems to be random occurrences. The only consistency is that it happens most when trying to right-click edit objects.

On another note, I have not noticed the lag at all when using SP2022, unfortunately I am the only one with the update at this time, and since we cannot revert a project to previous versions I can only use the new version on projects that I start brand new, otherwise nobody else can work on the projects. At some point I will get them upgraded too, and hopefully that will make the issue nonexistent!

#15 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 10:13 AM

On another note, I have not noticed the lag at all when using SP2022, unfortunately I am the only one with the update at this time, and since we cannot revert a project to previous versions I can only use the new version on projects that I start brand new, otherwise nobody else can work on the projects.

Exactly the reason why I am still holding off installing 2022. We all do it or none of us do it.

Keith

#16 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:02 AM

yep, I understand completely. Everyone else has the update ready to install, it's just hard to determine when to make the switch since we are in the middle of several projects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users