• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 April 2021 - 03:46 PM

I would like to learn how to use layers

I would like to take my current foundation A drawing and 

assume its my default in layers,

currently  in layers i have a Default ( foundation A drawing)

and then i created 2 new Names as ;

Foundation 002 Dimensions

Foundation 003 notes

I attached a snip of this layers page.

My intention is to remove and add dimensions from foundatioin A to foundation 002 to display less things and better cleared dimensions 

then same with foundation 003

Im not sure how to remove and add from foundation A and save on foundation 002 and 003 without disturbing my default page.

if this is possible then i would have 3 separate views of the foundatioin drawing and create each as a planset page 

I hope this makes sense and there is a easy list of steps to explain this.

Thank you in advance

Dan

Attached Files

#2 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 16 April 2021 - 06:54 PM

Have you tried using the copy and paste function?

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#3 Danial Anderson

Danial Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

no,  trying to learn how to use layers please

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:19 PM

If you CTRL-CLICK to select items, you can then right click and SET LAYER, and assign all the items you want to separate layers. I think that you can also right click an item and SET LAYER, but can't remember.

You can also edit an item and change it's layer, then use repeat edit on other items to change them to the same layer.

TIP: Turn off the visibility of the layer you want to change them too. Then when they disappear from your drawing you know when you are done.

You can select a set of the same items by right clicking one of them, and then select ADD TYPE SELECTION to quickly select and change the layers of like items.

Unless you delete items, you can change layers as many times as you want without affecting the page itself.

TIP: You can quickly turn off or on ALL layers by clicking on the VISIBILITY column heading to select ALL layers then CHECK or UNCHECK them all at once.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:46 PM

I hardly ever use layers, just haven't wanted to complicate my world, but I have used them a little for setting something to Fade.

now we have PDF layer that get imported sometimes etc.

But if you open "windows in the top bar and open Build options/layers, that will be on your tool bar and you can open layers and turn on Visible, and you can change the names there also.Think this just does the drawing. But the way you setup in projects, it will go to the drawings and there you can turn on or offf the layer, fade it

Then whatever you edit on the plan you can go to "common" and choose what layer to put what ever you edited.  from there i think you have it.

I read your post again and am not sure of what your really trying to accomplish, but as i said to change an item(symbol,wall, anything,etc) to a different layer use the edit and common tab and change layer there.    

I'm not really sure that the way your wanting to do this transfers into plansets is correct way?

But not being sure of what you want to accomplish and why, I'd maybe suggest you do a save as, and just create 3 foundation plans drawings, then they slip into plansets easy

I'm probably not sharp enough to keep up with a bunch of layers, and as i said haven't found it real important to use them much. But as i move along here, I'll probably want to use layers more

hope this is helpful

#6 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:23 PM

Another option that might work for you is to use the custom drawing modes available for what you might be trying to do.
  • Brent Hyndman likes this
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#7 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 17 April 2021 - 07:17 AM

As I have posted before, I put everything on layers. I do not know how anyone can use plan sets / modes  effectively without using layers. Using layers, I can make anything visible or not in any mode. If I want, I can make plumbing fixture visible in roof mode. I can make rafters show up in plumbing mode. I have total control over every item in my drawings.

Attached Files

• Clint Hiebert, Sean Tobin and Wendall Hilty like this

#8 Danial Anderson

Danial Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 April 2021 - 11:57 AM

I kind of like the warren approach 

however, my dilemma

in  foundation and i create a layer named foundation dimensions

how do i save the revised foundation on the new layer page, and then how do i go back and forth to the foundation page AND the foundation dimensions layers page?

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 12:52 PM

They are not separate pages, they are just layers within one page. If you want to change pages, then you probably should look at CUSTOM MODES instead. then as Warren said, you can control the visibilities of objects within that mode.

Why would you want to have a foundation plan without dimensions and one with dimensions? would you put both within the same Planset?

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#10 Danial Anderson

Danial Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 April 2021 - 02:04 PM

Keith and Warren,

my foundation page has a lot of notes and the entire exterior concrete drawn out.

I would like to delete the exterior concrete and some notes to simplify the pAGE for jobsite use.

im understanding that if i use  al layer, then if i make a change to the main pager it may carry over to the layer page. 

right now i just need to know how to get the foundation page with revisions to the new layer page, without disturbing my original foundation page?

If anyone knows of a video or past session that will explain how to use a layer or a custom mode, ill gladly watch so i can ask  a bit more intelligent questions or just resolve my lack of knowledge.

Thank yoiu. 

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:43 PM

I'm a little confused about your terminology:

What do you mean by "new layer page" and "original foundation page"? Or what do you understand you mean?

I would suggest that if these actually show a revised layout that you want to be using a BUILDING OPTION called REVISIONS and not a layer. If your just turning off some information then you are fine using layers. Alternately, you can have a layer called ORIGINAL FOUNDATION and a layer called REVISED FOUNDATION, but these couldn't be turned on together without confusion, and would generally contain much the same information. However, with nested layers, you can also get much more creative.

I think that my problem is I don't know exactly what you are trying to acheive. With LAYERS, BUILDING OPTIONS and MODES, I'm pretty sure you can show almost anything, In any manner. Each has it's own advantages. 

Keith

#12 Danial Anderson

Danial Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:42 PM

Thank you everyone for helping out
Let’s close this out
Dan

#13 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 05:15 PM

Thank you everyone for helping out
Let’s close this out
Dan

Dan,

Don't throw your hands up and walk away.  :)   Your terminology is a little confusing.  What I am reading you're trying to do is show the same floor plan multiple times in PLAN SETS with different items showing on each.  You can not do that using LAYERS.  You can place items, notes, what ever on different BUILDING OPTIONS.  Place the same drawing as many times in your PLAN SET as you need and edit the drawing in the PLAN SET and turn on USE CUSTOM VISIBILITY and make items from different BUILDING OPTIONS visible. 

• Heath Foster and Michelle Zimmer like this

#14 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

Yea I see that, looks like you can just put stuff on building options layers, and edit the planset page and turn on the Use custom visibilities and edit visibility,

maybe turn off default. Never did it but looks pretty straight forward

#15 Danial Anderson

Danial Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 April 2021 - 01:09 AM

Jim

Thank you, I,m not going to walk from this. I'm going to schedule a learning session with a SP support staff member and then I can learn the proper terms and phrases and walk thru a sample project to learn layers, building options and the custom visibilty. Its not good to ask for help if I don't know what I'm saying or how to explain, thank you all for helping 

Dan

#16 S. Sin

S. Sin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 02:10 PM

I hardly ever use layers

Same. #EverythingOnDefaultLayerCrew

#17 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 22 April 2021 - 03:06 PM

Dan,

Don't throw your hands up and walk away.  :)   Your terminology is a little confusing.  What I am reading you're trying to do is show the same floor plan multiple times in PLAN SETS with different items showing on each.  You can not do that using LAYERS.  You can place items, notes, what ever on different BUILDING OPTIONS.  Place the same drawing as many times in your PLAN SET as you need and edit the drawing in the PLAN SET and turn on USE CUSTOM VISIBILITY and make items from different BUILDING OPTIONS visible. 

Yes you can do that using layers and Modes.

• Gary McKeon likes this

#18 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 23 April 2021 - 09:03 AM

Dan,

I always use Modes and Layers. Much cleaner and easier to control. No need or desire to use building options.

#19 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:17 PM

I miss the ok/cancel buttons for the drawing layers dialog box.  Must use the X when exiting layer adjustments. So far no luck on training myself, mouse seems to always gravitate to the lower right.  :blink:  

• Gary McKeon and David Johnson like this

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#20 David Johnson

David Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:54 PM

I agree Joseph, muscle memory is a hard thing to break.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users