• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Harrington

Jason Harrington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 08:58 AM

Has anybody been using the new STL output yet? I ran a quick print of one of the softplan demo plans last night. I printed the framing to see how well this function worked. I did the demo project as it's pretty simple. In order to get the framing to run I had to override my printer settings to print all the studs as a single 400 micron dot. I had lots of stringing from stud to stud which helped actually keep things in alignment. Mostly I was trying to work out the limits of how realistic I could go with this. I'm trying to decide on a workflow to get from fully developed complex model to how to chop it up for printing and reassembly. Anybody else that's done this did you remove or turn on and off visability to get to workable print components or would you just move the model out and process in autodesk fusion to get useful distinct components to print. Mostly I'm thinking I need to break out foundation, main structure and roof components, then try to reduce each area to under say 35' to make sure the prints are large enough to be useful.

Anyway it's a cool new feature and seemed to work well.
Jason

#2 Jason Harrington

Jason Harrington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 09:16 AM

Attached File  IMG_20210417_090511327_copy_2611x1958.jpg   90.78KB   3 downloads

#3 Gary Meleski

Gary Meleski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 11:45 AM

I tried this on several of my Clients model homes.

They have reasonably complex roofs but nothing outrageous.

The .stl file resulted in only parts of the roof being visible.

I then stripped the models down to just exterior walls and roofs.

The result was the same. The roofs did not form completely.

Regards,

Gary

#4 Jason Harrington

Jason Harrington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 12:29 PM

I feel like I'm seeing an output that does have everything I see in my model. When I brought the model in to slicer to do the layers I was having all the unbuild able parts removed, and flooded with errors and warnings. I enabled thinwall detection and reduced the perimeters to one in order that it would produce all the parts. I do get a roof drawn but it's not done in a printable form. I would need to extract just the roofs then roll and print them sideways or I would need to fill the whole model with supports.

I don't have any projects that require this. But it seemed like a neat feature to try out. So I ran this last night before bed and was pleasantly surprised I didn't have a big ball of filiment on my office floor. When I looked over the regular (not frame) model I also noticed I'd get an output exactly like the model, so no printed framing but a drywall face and an exterior cladding face. In a 3d model this would print that way and be weak and would need to be converted to a solid wall with a fill added to give the model integrity. I was thinking if working through a 3d print of a build I'm trying to get off the ground right now. It's about 190' long by 65' wide with about 20 distinct roof planes and I was hoping to print this about 42" long and be able to unstack floors to help the customer see the interior space built ins and flow. If nobody has been successful doing this straight out of softplan I'll try to post as I go documenting my workflow to get the components to work together.
Jason
  • Heath Foster and Isaiah Baker like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users