• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PDH Drafting

PDH Drafting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:01 AM

My company has recently started using SoftPlan 2022 and I am having some issues with designing this roofline in the program. We have a 2D drawing (done before we started SoftPlan) but want to build it in 3D for our client. In the attached images, you can see how the missing valley (which has a much different pitch than the majority of the roof) effects what our final product is looking like. Is there a way to add a valley to a roof in SoftPlan? Or, alternatively, is there a better way to draw it in multiple steps to get the same result?

If anyone could give me any advice on what I am doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files

#2 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:58 AM

The first thing that I see is that it appears you don't have the varying wall plate heights you need on the front of the house to get that roof . Go into roof mode and then check your "mode visibilites" (F9). There is the option there to turn on "plate height". Get everything right there and you you should see the difference.

• Thomas Roman, Rick Kingsbury and David Zawadzki like this

#3 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 14 June 2021 - 03:06 PM

Generally, I have found that really complex roof requires me to break the roof into smaller and smaller parts.. (no "auto-roof" for this one)...

also, if there is no need for an accurate materials take-off, then I am free to make all sorts of shortcuts (roof planes that cut through another roof, or through an upper floor)..  So one roof might run right through the attic of another roof, or the second floor bedroom... That works fine for an exterior rendering, or generating an elevation.. but not so much for materials take-off..

looking at the roof you have here, you are going to need to account for the fact that you have two separate ridge lines (roof widths).. you are going to need to add a perpendicular roof plane to reduce the width of the one roof (higher ridge), down to the width of the other roof (lower ridge)

Attached Files

• ROBERT BROGAN likes this

#4 Chris Proost

Chris Proost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:39 AM

My two cents. I like the roofline on the elevation on the right better anyway! 

• Jon Davis likes this

#5 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:52 AM

My two cents. I like the roofline on the elevation on the right better anyway! 

With a dormer centered above the twin window.

• Chris Proost and Jon Davis like this

#6 PDH Drafting

PDH Drafting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 08:41 AM

Generally, I have found that really complex roof requires me to break the roof into smaller and smaller parts.. (no "auto-roof" for this one)...

also, if there is no need for an accurate materials take-off, then I am free to make all sorts of shortcuts (roof planes that cut through another roof, or through an upper floor)..  So one roof might run right through the attic of another roof, or the second floor bedroom... That works fine for an exterior rendering, or generating an elevation.. but not so much for materials take-off..

looking at the roof you have here, you are going to need to account for the fact that you have two separate ridge lines (roof widths).. you are going to need to add a perpendicular roof plane to reduce the width of the one roof (higher ridge), down to the width of the other roof (lower ridge)

Thanks for the advice! What would you do in the instance you needed an accurate take-off? If I use the "cut hole" option will it detract from the materials or is that solely for visualization purposes?

#7 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 June 2021 - 10:13 AM

Sorry I'm not going to be able to advise on materials take offs... I've been using softplan since it ran on DOS, all the while happily living in my bubble of not doing materials take offs..
  • Mark Petri, Allen McDonnell and Gary Wicklund like this

#8 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 25 June 2021 - 01:32 PM

Due to complication, this roof design uses 3 roofs.

Attached Files

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#9 PDH Drafting

PDH Drafting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:30 PM

Due to complication, this roof design uses 3 roofs.

Were you able to properly frame that roof for a structural sheet and softlist pricing?

#10 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 29 June 2021 - 03:38 PM

I don't use rafters/ceiling joists, send the plans to truss supplier to do the layout.

• Steven Wohlgemuth likes this

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#11 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:24 PM

We frame every plan we do , some do not lend themselves to being trussed. 50 years hands

on building with only a handful of the houses being trussable. Framing the house in Softplan

gives us an opportunity to catch any potential problem areas before the plans go out the door.

And it is a lot of fun!

Attached Files

• Joseph Smith, Steven Wohlgemuth and PDH Drafting like this

#12 PDH Drafting

PDH Drafting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 12:12 PM

That roof looks amazing! I would love to be able to learn how you were able to accomplish that in SoftPlan!

We frame every plan we do , some do not lend themselves to being trussed. 50 years hands

on building with only a handful of the houses being trussable. Framing the house in Softplan

gives us an opportunity to catch any potential problem areas before the plans go out the door.

And it is a lot of fun!

• Steve and Carla Farnam likes this

#13 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 07:49 AM

Russell , The roof was framed with a couple rafter calculations and material settings in Softplan.

Framing it in Softplan all starts with a small roof and a few hours practice. Important to set tops of

walls , beam heights. rafter seat cuts/heel heights, ridge locations etc accurately for all to come

together.

• David Zawadzki likes this

#14 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:25 AM

And it is a lot of fun!

I would add a framing member along the wall on that shed roof that attaches to the gable wall… ;-) and raise those two windows so you have room for flashing and window trim above that shed roof.
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#15 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:09 AM

David Zawadzki ,

The shed rafters will be extended into and fastened alongside corresponding vertical members given in the real world the rafters will be exposed rough sawn framing members and a horizontal ledger at the wall with exposed fasteners is not desirable.

There is 8" from bottom of the windows to the top of the shed roof, more than enough for adequate and proper flashing. As you and I know , especially after being in this business since 1969, every builder will do it different. I have been fortunate that after all the years swinging a hammer, just dated myself, and designing homes I have not had the pleasure of answering any lawsuits or had a need to file any claims using my contractor or errors and omissions insurance. Appreciate your input, I will try and do better in the future!! ;) :)

Steve

• Michael Landry, Todd Williard, Rick Kingsbury and 2 others like this

#16 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 13 July 2021 - 01:10 PM

Steve,

Remind me to tell you the story of the 25 year old plan checker sometime...  :)

• Steve and Carla Farnam likes this
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roof, complex roof, valley, help, new user

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users