13 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:13 AM

When I open a new (blank) drawing, then click the "SAVE AS" button to give it a name, it creates a new blank drawing with the new name and retains the blank "(UNTITLED)" drawing. Anyone else seeing this?

#2 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:34 AM

I think this is new for 2022 Richard.

#3 Chris Proost

Chris Proost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:41 AM

I love this new "save as" feature. Before it would close the original drawing and you had to go back to the tree to pull it up again. Little tweak but saves me a couple extra clicks.

• John Jones, Tim Kenyon and David Zawadzki like this

#4 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:21 AM

I always after creating a new drawing, just do save and it asks for a name.

I think the logic is that until it has a name the save as doesn't make sense.          Gotta save with a name first.

Think that is how it does it

• David Zawadzki likes this

#5 Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:59 AM

Fred - makes sense when you explain it that way, thanks.

#6 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:12 PM

Very occasionally I have clarity of thought

#7 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:38 PM

HATE this new feature.  I don't need 2 blank drawings after I've created a new drawing

#8 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 05:50 AM

Can’t you just use save instead of save as?

#9 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:41 AM

Can’t you just use save instead of save as?

Not if it hasn't been saved previously

#10 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:41 AM

I am not sure I understand the complaint. I like the fact that it no longer closes the drawing I saved-as from. When working on remodel plans I draw the existing house and then get everything the way it shows and do a save as for the proposed drawings and then modify those. Having both stay open is nice to go back and forth if needed. It's not a big deal, but avoids me having to reopen and position the as-built drawing. Also for other notes and details it is super nice to just have it stay where it is when I do a save as rather than closing the original and replacing it (in the drawing ribbon) with the newly saved version.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#11 Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 10:07 AM

Hey Mark - I asked the original question (not a complaint) so I'll chime back in. Maybe the best way to explain is asking why the "save as" doesn't operate the same way as other Windows-based programs. If I open a new, blank, Word document and click "save as", it prompts me to provide a name for that file, leaving me with one open file with that new name. In SP, clicking "save as" on an open, blank file also brings up a prompt for a name, but then creates a new file with that name. Now I have two open files, one "unnamed" and one with the new name.  Not a big problem, just wondering out loud why it was designed that way.

On the other hand, clicking "save as" on an open, previously-named file creates a copy with a new name, just as it should.

#12 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 21 September 2021 - 10:37 AM

Got it Richard. I guess that makes sense. Frankly, I am happy for as much departure from MS/Windows as possible, but totally understand that question. When you start a new drawing in SP and click save it gives you the opportunity to name it right then, but I can see how that is not the same as other MS programs.

• Heath Foster likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#13 Heath Foster

Heath Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:53 AM

Hey Mark - I asked the original question (not a complaint) so I'll chime back in. Maybe the best way to explain is asking why the "save as" doesn't operate the same way as other Windows-based programs. If I open a new, blank, Word document and click "save as", it prompts me to provide a name for that file, leaving me with one open file with that new name. In SP, clicking "save as" on an open, blank file also brings up a prompt for a name, but then creates a new file with that name. Now I have two open files, one "unnamed" and one with the new name.  Not a big problem, just wondering out loud why it was designed that way.

On the other hand, clicking "save as" on an open, previously-named file creates a copy with a new name, just as it should.

Maybe everyone understands this already but just incase. When you open a new drawing you can click "save" and it will ask you to name that drawing and it will leave it open. When you open a new document and click "save as" it will ask you to name the new drawing and save the new drawing as a new document and it will leave both the unsaved and the newly saved as documents open. So you don't have to have two files open. You can just click "save" and have the one drawing open. 

• Keith Almond and Danial Anderson like this

#14 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:11 AM

Good Explanation Heath.

• Heath Foster likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users