3 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:17 PM

If any of you are AIBD members or have interest in AIBD, they are looking at doing a major overhaul of the NCBDC certification process.  Most of the testing criteria hasn't been updated for many many years and they are hoping to change that soon as well as produce it in a format that can be taken online rather than in person.  I was asked to participate in a focus group a few weeks ago that helped to come up with the questions for a survey to determine what a building designer needs to know as well as when they should have learned that.  It was pretty eye opening on what is required in different parts of the country in regards to engineering, energy codes, etc.

The link below will take you to the survey that was put together to help AIBD and NCBDC put together the new testing information.

Sam

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3NZ9MCZ

#2 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

Sam;

Interesting post.  I am not a member of AIBD but I wonder when or if that is not going to be a requirement to submit plans.  At least projects over a certain size.  Every city is coming up with more requirements for permits and what they will accept or the type of format they want things in.  In the future I may need to serious consider becoming a member.

Kevin 

#3 Thomas Roman

Thomas Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

State of Nevada now requires state certification for preparing residential plans.... of course that's separate from AIBD certification, which seems a shame and superfluous... I might suggest that AIBD take a hard look at the Nevada state residential design testing content and procedures..

#4 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:48 PM

Tom,

Thanks for that info.  I've passed it along to the AIBD director.  They are looking into changing the testing so it meets some national testing and will hopefully be recognized more by jurisdictions around the country.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users