#1 Lane De Muro

Lane De Muro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 January 2022 - 10:14 AM

Can I import DXF files into a user defined Symbols and Notes library so I can place them in Plan Set sheets?

If yes, how is it done?

Thanks in advance,

Lane

Lane De Muro

Windows 10 on a Dell something or other which works  but should be replaced.

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 January 2022 - 10:17 AM

Not directly.

You have to import the DXF file into your drawing, and then create as a Symbol or Note as required.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Lane De Muro

Lane De Muro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 January 2022 - 01:38 PM

Thanks, I was afraid of that.
Soft Plan Developers:   Take a look at how easy and seamless this is done  in Chief Architect.  On the other hand, Softplan does stepped foundations way, way, way, way better than Chief Architect.

Lane De Muro

#4 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 19 January 2022 - 03:38 PM

Thanks, I was afraid of that.
Soft Plan Developers:   Take a look at how easy and seamless this is done  in Chief Architect.  On the other hand, Softplan does stepped foundations way, way, way, way better than Chief Architect.

Sorry but it really couldn't be much easier than it is. I know how Chief does it as well. 

#5 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 19 January 2022 - 03:52 PM

I like such things (including most of my common details) as drawings. It ends up they get copied into project folders, but editing and working with them as drawings is way better for how I do things than having several versions as symbols or notes. So, too me, it is super easy. And, if I want a 3D detail I draw it in SketchUp and import either an image or DWG of the 3D view I want and use it for details - works great.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#6 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 04:32 PM

The Nest tool may be helpful for dealing with details. https://youtu.be/1mKAzG13xTU

• Brent Hyndman and David Zawadzki like this

#7 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 19 January 2022 - 05:14 PM

That's a nice tool if a detail never changes. We often customize details to each project based on numerous factors. I have not tried, but like the thought of creating the master detail drawings for those that never change. But, I also like the details to be separate from the plan and other drawings on the plan set pages.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#8 Lane De Muro

Lane De Muro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 January 2022 - 06:55 AM

Thanks for the good advice.
I am fairly new to Softplan, having used Chief Architect since the 90's, so it seems only natural to me to look for some same or similar features I found useful in Chief.

However, the more I use Softplan, the more I like it.
Having said that, I have to look at the Nest tool because my goal is to create a Template Plan Set, which can be re-used for each project.
The Template would have, in addition to the normal elevation and floor plan views, a few sheets of boilerplate information.  A typical set of plans for an addition or house normally runs around 20 - 25 sheet, with at least ten of those sheets simply the same information over and over again.

Some municipalities want this, some want that, so over the years I have compiled a list of all the items different municipalities normally look for and have made sheets and sheets of NY Building Code notes to try to make everyone happy.

I tried doing what Keith Almond said, and imported the DXF into my drawing.  The import worked with one problem....it seems I have no control over where the DXF gets placed.  It decided to land itself smack in the middle of the first floor plan view, and there was no way to isolate it from the drawing.  Is there a setting or step I missed?  After I can successfully import the DXF Details, I want to put them into a user defined Library when I create them as a symbol, and that seems to be fairly straightforward.

Thanks again,

Lane

Lane De Muro

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 08:21 AM

IMPORT them into a new blank drawing. Save them as notes or symbols for future use and then delete the blank drawing.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#10 Lane De Muro

Lane De Muro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 January 2022 - 03:33 PM

IMPORT them into a new blank drawing. Save them as notes or symbols for future use and then delete the blank drawing.

Thanks...this put me on the right track.
I exported from Chief into a file of DXF drawings and notes.
I imported the DXF into Softplan.
I used the Symbol one step and got some error message.
Then I called Support and they told me I had to explode the imported DXF before I could transform it into a symbol.
That did the trick.
Only 173 more to go.

• Sean Tobin likes this

Lane De Muro

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 04:07 PM

I don't believe I've ever had to explode a DXF file ... although I do remember that some items (Like splines) aren't contained in the symbols, and do need to be exploded. But never a whole file. Maybe I've just exploded everything as a matter of course, and not thought about it.

Keith

#12 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 20 January 2022 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the good advice.
I am fairly new to Softplan, having used Chief Architect since the 90's, so it seems only natural to me to look for some same or similar features I found useful in Chief.

However, the more I use Softplan, the more I like it.
Having said that, I have to look at the Nest tool because my goal is to create a Template Plan Set, which can be re-used for each project.
The Template would have, in addition to the normal elevation and floor plan views, a few sheets of boilerplate information.  A typical set of plans for an addition or house normally runs around 20 - 25 sheet, with at least ten of those sheets simply the same information over and over again.

Some municipalities want this, some want that, so over the years I have compiled a list of all the items different municipalities normally look for and have made sheets and sheets of NY Building Code notes to try to make everyone happy.

I tried doing what Keith Almond said, and imported the DXF into my drawing.  The import worked with one problem....it seems I have no control over where the DXF gets placed.  It decided to land itself smack in the middle of the first floor plan view, and there was no way to isolate it from the drawing.  Is there a setting or step I missed?  After I can successfully import the DXF Details, I want to put them into a user defined Library when I create them as a symbol, and that seems to be fairly straightforward.

Thanks again,

Lane

FYI, You can save separate planset templates for each building dept (and each builder customer) to give them what they want.

• Sean Tobin likes this
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#13 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 03:42 PM

Nested drawings can be set as static or to automatically sync with their source.  They can also be exploded resulting items and used as the basis of a new drawing.  Since they are drawings rather than symbols there is more control things like colors and line types. Nested drawings should be considered as a method for construction details,

• David Zawadzki likes this

#14 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 04:22 PM

Nested drawings can be set as static or to automatically sync with their source.  They can also be exploded resulting items and used as the basis of a new drawing.  Since they are drawings rather than symbols there is more control things like colors and line types. Nested drawings should be considered as a method for construction details,

John,

I can see a lot of potential for this as a multi-faceted tool worthy of a "how-to" video. We are all just so busy any more that anything Softplan can do to give us users a head start would be just so appreciated and helpful. It sounds like there are similarities to autocad's 'x-ref' feature? If so it would have tremendous potential.

#15 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 04:50 PM

Gary, did you watch the YouTube video in Post #6?

Keith

#16 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 05:27 PM

Gary, did you watch the YouTube video in Post #6?

Totally missed that response. Duh.

#17 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 06:52 PM

Will have to think about this some more as my details, each one, are separate drawings. Same with my notes. I place them directly onto my plan set sheets as I don't want them a part of another drawing (the floor plan for example). Not sure how this would work yet.  

#18 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 09:15 PM

I'm the same. I bring everything into the plansets as different drawings. Even opening schedules, Glazing schedules and Insulation Compliance Package tables.

I see opening new blank drawings and inserting a portion of a standard detail sheet. We have some detail sheets that contain multiple related standard details - for example engineered floor details. Nests will enable us to more easily select details relevant to the specific project, rather than a blanket "These are all our engineered floor details, Pick whatever's relevant to your situation".

Keith

#19 Lane De Muro

Lane De Muro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 02 February 2022 - 06:34 PM

So, after importing over 200 DXF details, code citations, sections, yada, yada, yada into a Symbols library, I found out to my horror that a symbol cannot be placed into a plan set.  Oh well.
I re-imported them but this time saved them as speed notes, which can be placed into either a drawing Plan Set sheet.  Now I can drop them anywhere I want, just like a Window or Door Schedule can.
Having said that, the next step will be to make several sheets of Code Citation Notes, which will remain the same no matter what kind of drawing, new house, addition, alteration.  I have to study up on nested regions, because that way (I think) I could have one set for new construction, one for remodeling, one for additions, and still be able to add any speed notes if there are any cross overs for the construction types.
Probably my biggest impediment to learning Softplan is trying to do something the way I am used to doing it in Chief.

• Sean Tobin likes this

Lane De Muro

#20 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 08:45 PM

So, after importing over 200 DXF details, code citations, sections, yada, yada, yada into a Symbols library, I found out to my horror that a symbol cannot be placed into a plan set.

No, but it can be added to a drawing that can be used in a planset.

My rule of thumb is NEVER to draw anything directly into a planset. I always add drawings to a planset, and these drawings can be defined in the template. I then call standard details as needed into the relevant project. NEST may even make this redundant. I really should look at moving to 2022 ...

• David Zawadzki and Sean Tobin like this
Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users