4 replies to this topic

#1 Craig Carlson

Craig Carlson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 10:43 AM

Hello All,

I use Softplan 2022 to draw decks, screen porches, and room additions.  I would like to change some of the defaults.

The first items concerns the railings. 

1.     When the rail ends at an exterior wall, the default "post style" is a half post.  We need the end post to be a full post and the style to be "flush with rail".  Where is this default changed?

2.     When the rail ends out in the open, the default "post style" is "center on rail".  We would like to have the "post style" be "flush to rail".   Where is this default changed?

The next item concerns the decks.

1.    When a deck is drawn the deck, the joists and ring joists show up in the framing plan as a dashed linetype.  How do you change this to a solid linetype?

2.    When a deck is drawn, the default is to automatically place Joist Hangers.  Typically we use drop beams and the ring joists are not load bearing, so can the default be changed to no joists hangers and where is this done?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Craig

#2 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 01 February 2022 - 10:55 AM

Did you watch the tutorials on decks on the navigation screen in the program yet?

• Harlon Suttle likes this
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#3 Craig Carlson

Craig Carlson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 12:09 PM

I have and did not see defaults covered.  Since I missed the part addressing the default settings, could you give me the timeline when the default settings are discussed?  Every time the railings are placed the railing end points do match the actual construction used by our company.  So, instead of taking the time to change every place the railing ends to accurately reflect our design, we would like to change a default that does that automatically.  When drawing 200+ decks per year, This time adds up quick. Also, if you watch the tutorials on decks, there are 2022 software changes not reflected in the 2016 tutorial videos. 

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 February 2022 - 12:27 PM

Railings - Defaults are as per the railing definition for each particular railing. However as far as I can tell you can't change the definition relative to where the rail ends.

Decks - As far as i'm aware the defaults are hard coded into the program and can't be changed. You can only edit after the fact. Even then I don't believe you can change the linetype on the floor system plan itself.

Ii may be wrong, hopefully someone from Softplan will either confirm or deny this.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 08:26 AM

There is currently not an option to change the default behavior for how a railing intersects a wall.

A suggestion has been logged to allow for the default to be modified to allow for the different post options.

• Harlon Suttle likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users