• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Jones

Chris Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 06:58 PM

I'm a relative new user to Softplan and this is my first post so thanks in advance for any help. I would like for siding from the gable and shed roof to carry straight through.  I can't figure out how to do it.  Originally, the overhang from the main body gable carried all the way down to the lowest roof edge.  I used the hole tool to remove the overhang but it still shows the fascia.  

model view.JPG

roof view.JPG

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 February 2022 - 09:08 PM

Use a HOLE on the lower roof to cut away the portion of the gable you don't want to see and adjust it as necessary. Doesn't look correct MOST of the time, but simple to draw.

Alternately cut the whole roof into 2 ... I.e. Make two roofs front to back (one left and one right) ... Make the Right side a hip and the left side a double hip. Adjust the pitches and distance until the main ridge is the same on both sides.

It's a very awkward situation. I've never found an ideal way to do it.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 06 February 2022 - 10:26 PM

double post oops

#4 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 06 February 2022 - 10:29 PM

1) Place beams to support your roof. Every roof edge must have a wall or a beam (or in some cases another roof). Roof edges can't just hover in mid air.
2) Draw your roof so that it has edges 2, 3, and 4.
3) Edge 2 is a hip. Edge 3 is an intersect with an Auto Pitch. Edge 4 is a double hip.
4) Adjust edge 4 to have the appropriate overhang, pitches, and seat cut. Make the Distance for the double hip to actually be more than it should be. In this case try 20'. This is an abritrary number but is just to make the lower pitch longer than it should be.
5) If the roof does not look right then edit edge 2 and if Dominant is available then check it. If it is not available then increase the distance for edge 4 until Dominant is available. Check Dominant for edge 2 to enable it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2022-02-06_22-06-04.jpg
  • 2022-02-06_21-42-14.jpg
  • 2022-02-06_22-08-05.jpg

• Tim Kenyon, Keith Almond, Gary McKeon and 1 other like this

#5 Chris Jones

Chris Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 05:59 AM

Thanks Keith.  I tried your second approach and was able to get it to work, although I do have phantom lines on my model and 3D views.  I'll try Bill's approach next.  Thanks again to both of you.  I never would have figured this out without your help.

Attached Thumbnails

• roof mode.JPG
  • phantom lines.JPG
  • left view.JPG

#6 Martin Wrobel

Martin Wrobel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 09:31 AM

1) Place beams to support your roof. Every roof edge must have a wall or a beam (or in some cases another roof). Roof edges can't just hover in mid air.
2) Draw your roof so that it has edges 2, 3, and 4.
3) Edge 2 is a hip. Edge 3 is an intersect with an Auto Pitch. Edge 4 is a double hip.
4) Adjust edge 4 to have the appropriate overhang, pitches, and seat cut. Make the Distance for the double hip to actually be more than it should be. In this case try 20'. This is an abritrary number but is just to make the lower pitch longer than it should be.
5) If the roof does not look right then edit edge 2 and if Dominant is available then check it. If it is not available then increase the distance for edge 4 until Dominant is available. Check Dominant for edge 2 to enable it.

Bill

I did not know the Dominant edge even existed. I learn something everyday from this forum. Thanks to all that post.

• David Zawadzki likes this

Martin Wrobel

Superior Home Design

Michigan

Softplan 2024

9th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 9900 (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)\

NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)

64GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz

Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 850W Power Supply

#7 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 07 February 2022 - 09:59 AM

By using Dominant you can actually make this roof without a double hip. You can use just a regular hip for edge 4 so long as edge 2 is set to Dominant.

Attached Thumbnails

• roof-steps.jpg

• Mark Petri, Steve Haarmann, Keith Almond and 1 other like this

#8 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 06:12 AM

Nice explanation Bill.

This also eliminates the "phantom" roof intersect lines that were problematic using the black and white textures.

#9 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 09 February 2022 - 04:03 PM

Push a little further, you can simplify the main planes yet again.

Cheat the right main gable out by 1/16"

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG
  • Capture2.PNG

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users