• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Stover

Jeremy Stover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:21 AM

One thing I think would be helpful in the next patch/version would be to add some more control to interior elevation tags.  I do interior elevation sheets on some of my drawings, and try and use the "live" annotated views for ease and saving time.  I had an instance where I created all of my elevations (20-some of them) and then noticed that I had forgotten one that belonged back at number 4 or 5...it should have been grouped with the others on the elevation sheet, and in order for me to do that and re-number it with the auto numbering, I would have had to delete all of the following markers and redo them all.  It would be easier to just click on the elevation markers and be able to renumber manually if desired.  And maybe even have SP notice the manual re-number and then ask if it wants us to have it rename the others automatically following?

#2 Lane De Muro

Lane De Muro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 February 2022 - 09:24 AM

Softplan is way, way, way behind the times when it comes to annotating a drawing.  It would appear it does not give much of a second chance when it comes to forgetting something or revising something.  
For instance, the "Keynotes"; all notes are put on one schedule that applies to every aspect of the project.  If you want a separate keynote schedule for cabinets, electrical items, framing items, whatever, you are out of luck.  They all get grouped into one big keynote.  Pretty archaic for a CAD software program.

Section view annotation is likewise limited.  Other programs give you the ability to add elements which are automatically found, such as roof ridge, top of subfloor, top of joist, bottom of header, top of window or door, etc.  Again, Softplan comes in a distant last in this type of annotation.  

But, and this is a big "but", it is miles ahead when it comes to drawing the model, wall heights, foundations, roof, dormers, rake walls  and the real nitty gritty, so I am convincing myself that things like complete control over schedules, setting a system wide schedule option, being able to make line styles, having automatic center lines, keynotes for individual types of things, ability to add column items (such as vent area of windows and doors) to a schedule, auto aligning walls and openings from one floor to the other is not as important as they are convenient.  I really miss not being able to generate an electrical schedule where I can show which light fixture, fan, or split wiring device is controlled by which switch.

It may just be me, but it seems Softplan and others (one I have used for over 20 years) are more concerned with the 3D version of getting sun shading, beautiful trees, sidewalks, brick textures and the like than they are with the down and dirty line drawings that, in the end, are whats need to be submitted for permit approval.  Kind of like putting a spoiler on an old Dodge Dart....looks great, but you will never be able to go fast enough to really use it.

Lane De Muro

Windows 10 on a Dell something or other which works  but should be replaced.

#3 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 15 February 2022 - 02:14 PM

Softplan is way, way, way behind the times when it comes to annotating a drawing.  It would appear it does not give much of a second chance when it comes to forgetting something or revising something.  
For instance, the "Keynotes"; all notes are put on one schedule that applies to every aspect of the project.  If you want a separate keynote schedule for cabinets, electrical items, framing items, whatever, you are out of luck.  They all get grouped into one big keynote.  Pretty archaic for a CAD software program.

Section view annotation is likewise limited.  Other programs give you the ability to add elements which are automatically found, such as roof ridge, top of subfloor, top of joist, bottom of header, top of window or door, etc.  Again, Softplan comes in a distant last in this type of annotation.  

But, and this is a big "but", it is miles ahead when it comes to drawing the model, wall heights, foundations, roof, dormers, rake walls  and the real nitty gritty, so I am convincing myself that things like complete control over schedules, setting a system wide schedule option, being able to make line styles, having automatic center lines, keynotes for individual types of things, ability to add column items (such as vent area of windows and doors) to a schedule, auto aligning walls and openings from one floor to the other is not as important as they are convenient.  I really miss not being able to generate an electrical schedule where I can show which light fixture, fan, or split wiring device is controlled by which switch.

It may just be me, but it seems Softplan and others (one I have used for over 20 years) are more concerned with the 3D version of getting sun shading, beautiful trees, sidewalks, brick textures and the like than they are with the down and dirty line drawings that, in the end, are whats need to be submitted for permit approval.  Kind of like putting a spoiler on an old Dodge Dart....looks great, but you will never be able to go fast enough to really use it.

Can't wait to hear your opinion once you have been using SoftPlan for 20 years. ;-)

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#4 Lane De Muro

Lane De Muro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 February 2022 - 07:47 PM

Can't wait to hear your opinion once you have been using SoftPlan for 20 years. ;-)

Well, let's jump ahead 20 years......"I'm still trying to move one wall cabinet without Softplan attaching it to every other cabinet on the wall, uppers and base, and moving them as a block.  I exploded them. I went into the edit panel and unchecked "join cabinets", I tried to use the move command with cursor snap and still no luck. The Attach button is disabled.  It's been almost 20 years, and I sure would like to get this kitchen layout done so I can bill the client"

Lane De Muro

#5 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 15 February 2022 - 08:58 PM

Haha,  don’t be so hard on yourself.  You know it’s not going to take 20 years to master SoftPlan.

Are you trying to move the cabinet in 3D mode?  When working with interiors, I like to have 3D open on one monitor and 2D open on the other.  It’s easier for me to get things done in 2D, while checking out the results in 3D.

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#6 Lane De Muro

Lane De Muro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 16 February 2022 - 05:22 AM

Haha,  don’t be so hard on yourself.  You know it’s not going to take 20 years to master SoftPlan.

Are you trying to move the cabinet in 3D mode?  When working with interiors, I like to have 3D open on one monitor and 2D open on the other.  It’s easier for me to get things done in 2D, while checking out the results in 3D.

I have been trying to move things in 2D.  I'll try it the way you described it and see what happens.

Lane De Muro

#7 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:31 AM

For me if attach isn't highlighted it helps, but I understand the frustration. Especially when SP decides that upper wall cabinet ought to snap to the inside corner of the wall over the top of the tall cabinet it does not recognize. But, just the same, there are so many things that work better than other programs. You take the good, you take the bad, and there you have CAD for life. Too invested to stop or switch now. And, most competitors have some cool parts of their program, but lose out in the important ways as far as how I like to work.

• Mike Adams, David Zawadzki and Lane De Muro like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#8 Harlon Suttle

Harlon Suttle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, Ks

Posted 16 February 2022 - 01:13 PM

There is only one near perfect "CADD" tool.... and I have seen and used them all.....NONE will ever be as near perfect as the human brain.... ever see a great carpenty with only one saw etc....I have and he was simple amazing and 77 years old and still going strong...so, ya learn how to "used" the one tool in your tool box to it's max and become an expert...then you add those really special other "tools" to compliment the one tool you are expert in using....BTW: That carpentry began as an apprentice at the age of eight years old in Poland after WWII....RIP Louie P.
  • Mike Adams, David Zawadzki and Lane De Muro like this

Harlon G. " Buddy " Suttle
casekc49@gmail.com
CELL: 913-339-6242

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 February 2022 - 11:34 AM

...being able to make line styles ...

Not officially supported, but Softplan has the ability to quite simply create new linetypes - I've been doing it over 20 years.

Save the linetype.def and siteline.def files in the SPUtil directory with NEW names so you can restore them if necessary, and edit them in a standard text editor ... NOTEPAD.

Following the same pattern as existing lines, you can create your own in this format.

;-FIRE BLOCK
BEGINLINE
NAME Dashed FIRE BLOCK
ATTRIBUTES HEIGHT=3
ATTRIBUTES FONT="ARIAL"
PATTERN LINE=25 SPACE=2 TEXT="FIRE BLOCK" SPACE=2
ENDLINE
;

2022.02.18_12h32m22s_001_.png

OR if you want LINES etc.

;----....----.... 
BEGINLINE
NAME Dash Dot Dot Dot Dash
PATTERN LINE=6 SPACE=2 LINE=0.5 SPACE=2 LINE=0.5 SPACE=2 LINE=0.5 SPACE=2 
ENDLINE
;

I take no responsibility if it doesn't work for you.

If anyone is interested I can send you my linetype.def file to examine and play with as you see fit.

• Mark Petri, Harlon Suttle, Dennis Asher and 2 others like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#10 Lane De Muro

Lane De Muro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 February 2022 - 07:20 AM

Not officially supported, but Softplan has the ability to quite simply create new linetypes - I've been doing it over 20 years.

Save the linetype.def and siteline.def files in the SPUtil directory with NEW names so you can restore them if necessary, and edit them in a standard text editor ... NOTEPAD.

Following the same pattern as existing lines, you can create your own in this format.

;-FIRE BLOCK
BEGINLINE
NAME Dashed FIRE BLOCK
ATTRIBUTES HEIGHT=3
ATTRIBUTES FONT="ARIAL"
PATTERN LINE=25 SPACE=2 TEXT="FIRE BLOCK" SPACE=2
ENDLINE
;

OR if you want LINES etc.

;----....----.... 
BEGINLINE
NAME Dash Dot Dot Dot Dash
PATTERN LINE=6 SPACE=2 LINE=0.5 SPACE=2 LINE=0.5 SPACE=2 LINE=0.5 SPACE=2 
ENDLINE
;

I take no responsibility if it doesn't work for you.

If anyone is interested I can send you my linetype.def file to examine and play with as you see fit.

Thanks!  

Lane De Muro

#11 Michael Trostrud

Michael Trostrud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 14 April 2024 - 02:40 PM

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION ABOUT KEYNOTES:

Keynotes are a great way to annotate your drawings. 

There are other tables, like opening schedules that allow the user to select this drawing, or all openings in model. Can't this functionality be added to keynotes as well?

• Rick Kingsbury and Gary McKeon like this

#12 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationBirnie, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 17 April 2024 - 07:16 AM

It's a bit of a workaround, but you can show keynotes on plan set pages for the individual drawings. After you have created all your keynotes, do a renumber and they renumber according to the drawing they are on. In other words, all the key notes on a specific drawing will be in consecutive order. Put the keynote schedule on each drawing that you need them. Then you can edit the schedule seperately on each drawing and set the number of notes in a column so that all the notes for that page are on columns of their own. Arrange your drawing so that the keynote schedule is situated so that it can be placed on the plan set page by itself. You will need to have 2 copies of the same drawing on 1 plan set page. Crop the one so that the keynote schedule is not showing. Crop the other one so that only the applicable columns of the keynote schedule show.

• David Zawadzki likes this

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users