#1 Lane De Muro

Lane De Muro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 31 March 2022 - 09:04 AM

Can I edit the Softplan Andersen Window database to accurately display the values for Opening Area and Glazing Area correctly for Andersen Windows?

I use Andersen 400 Series windows, and the Softplan Window Schedule populates with opening area of  14.9 Sq. Ft for a 3046 DH.  The Andersen specs show the opening area as 5.82 Sq. Ft.
Likewise for the Glass Area, Softplan shows 11.1 Sq. Ft. and Andersen says 10.31.

I have not checked the entire Andersen window list, but will now whenever I use an Andersen Window from the Softplan library.

Nobody needs to have the Building Dept reject a plan or worse because the RES Check or Egress openings are not accurately stated.

Additionally, is there a way to add other information to the database, such as Net Clear Opening Height, Net Clear Opening Width, and  Vent Area?  I have to show those values on the plans for just about every building department in this area.

It would also be helpful if the "Opening Area" was re-labeled as "Net Clear Opening", as that is what determines (in part) if a window qualifies as egress or not.

Lane

Lane De Muro

Windows 10 on a Dell something or other which works  but should be replaced.

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 31 March 2022 - 10:11 AM

The opening area quoted for windows (any windows) is NOT the area that opens, it is the area of the whole window - the opening in the wall ... Although even then for that window it still looks wrong.

Further, I don't believe any of the quoted areas are from a database, It's probably Softplan calculating the area and the glazing for that particular symbol, so i would suspect that NONE of the quoted area's are actually calculating a real frame size, just an assumed frame size based on the parameters set in the system options. I would love to be wrong.

• Lane De Muro likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 31 March 2022 - 10:48 AM

Unfortunately that information in the SP Libraries is typically unreliable. Even the rough openings and sizes should be double-checked. They are often wrong as well. The frames and glazing are purely representative. Something I have asked for more user control or detail of for several versions. Editing schedules is really the only way to be sure you have it all correct.

I find the best way is to call out the window (if it is known and owners won't change their minds 10 times before ordering) and only give basic information in a window schedule (if needed) with a reference to the actual schedule/order from the window supplier. That does not work with some municipalities (as I suspect is the issue in your area), but certainly limits liability. Maybe finding a way to get the final order/schedule from the manufacturer and placing it in your plan sets or as an attachment would suffice?

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 31 March 2022 - 01:26 PM

Guess I'm lucky! I have a general note and have never had a problem with my local municipality.

• Lane De Muro likes this

#5 Lane De Muro

Lane De Muro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 31 March 2022 - 01:58 PM

Guess I'm lucky! I have a general note and have never had a problem with my local municipality.

Yup, that works if the Inspector is over 50 it seems, or doesn't have an axe to grind.
I used to be able to get away with "Windows and doors meet egress requirements"
But every time those guys go to "continuing education" they always come back with more and more and more to show on the plans.

So I hope Softplan takes those things into consideration when they revamp and upgrade...like being able to add any number of attributes to any window , door, electrical item etc and being able to include/exclude into a fully customizable schedule and user library.  I am not going to bring up Softplans chief competition, but they might want to see how it can be done.

• Gary McKeon likes this

Lane De Muro

#6 ROBERT BROGAN

ROBERT BROGAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 02:50 PM

I like to incorporate window information right into the plan-set. I give windows and door specs, lvl specs (not sealed), and roof truss info.  If you reach out to the vendor (Anderson dealer), they can provide a spec sheet in pdf, insert said pdf right into Softplan.  The technical specs can probably be downloaded directly from Anderson anyway !

#7 Lane De Muro

Lane De Muro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 31 March 2022 - 03:16 PM

I like to incorporate window information right into the plan-set. I give windows and door specs, lvl specs (not sealed), and roof truss info.  If you reach out to the vendor (Anderson dealer), they can provide a spec sheet in pdf, insert said pdf right into Softplan.  The technical specs can probably be downloaded directly from Anderson anyway !

I have the specifications from Andersen...it's a little time consuming to get a window and door schedule that will be accepted in certain building departments.  Call Size, Window Type, Net Clear Opening, Net Clear Opening Width, Net Clear Opening Height, Vent Area, Glazing Area, U Factor, SHGC, Overall Unit Size, RO, Unit Identifier, Tempered Glass, Manufacturers type of glass....pretty easy if you can assign all of those items to each window and save it to the System Library.  Some departments will not allow anything that is general or generic...they want specifics, and all plans, even it it is just a porch stoop or small deck need to be sealed and carry an energy code certification.  I remember when our plans used to be maybe five or six sheets, now our average set is around 30 sheets, and most of it notes, building code and energy code compliance.  So anything that saves time is a big, big plus.

Lane De Muro

#8 Kris Marteinsson

Kris Marteinsson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSalmon Arm, BC

Posted 31 March 2022 - 03:53 PM

I guess I live in the promised land. We only have to provide a basic window schedule with size and type. The building inspector confirms compliance by inspecting a label on the window at final inspection. Of course if there is a problem which requires a window replacement, it is kind of late in the game for that. 

• Steven Wohlgemuth, ROBERT BROGAN and Lane De Muro like this

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 31 March 2022 - 06:07 PM

Typically, our local Building Departments don't even require an opening schedule. We just provide one for ease of ordering etc. We do however have to have notes for the relevant compliance of course.

• Steven Wohlgemuth and Lane De Muro like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#10 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 01 April 2022 - 08:13 AM

Even when we provide notes (as always) and schedules, someone inevitably changes the order due to new information on a feature, costs, or some other whim. So, we try to reinforce the idea that the owner and contractor ought to know what is expected and double check with their suppliers to be sure what they order meets code at a minimum. Still some make the mistake by not thinking through things and not checking with any of us or the folks who know.

• Keith Almond and Steven Wohlgemuth like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#11 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:33 AM

Typically, our local Building Departments don't even require an opening schedule. We just provide one for ease of ordering etc. We do however have to have notes for the relevant compliance of course.

Same here keith.  I never use opening schedules on my plans

#12 Lane De Muro

Lane De Muro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 01 April 2022 - 01:36 PM

Even when we provide notes (as always) and schedules, someone inevitably changes the order due to new information on a feature, costs, or some other whim. So, we try to reinforce the idea that the owner and contractor ought to know what is expected and double check with their suppliers to be sure what they order meets code at a minimum. Still some make the mistake by not thinking through things and not checking with any of us or the folks who know.

Our plans carry a note on each sheet stating that if any substitutions are made for materials, same must be of like kind and quality, as well as meeting all requirements for Egress, Natural Light, Ventilation, Safety Glass etc.

I have probably built  five hundred homes in my life and never, not once, did they end up exactly as the plans showed.
But, that's why God made Change Orders and room for increased profits!

• ROBERT BROGAN and David Zawadzki like this

Lane De Muro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users