9 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Jackson

Daniel Jackson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 11:55 AM

I am new to Softplan.  I have gone through the entire 2022 booklet on 'How-to"

One thing I am struggling with is plan sets.

I create my plan sets, and each page and insert my drawings, etc, no problems.

The issue I have is this, bear with me.

I create a main floor plan with walls, dimensions, notes ect.  I put that on my Main Floor plan page.  All is good.

Now, when I open the main floor drawing on Electrical Mode, I create my lighting plan.  

Then I create a plan page called Lighting.

I input the main floor electrical into the lighting plan page.  

Now, for some reason, my Main Floor plan page is also showing electrical, but it shouldn't be.

My solution has been to duplicate the floor plan, have one for dimensions, one for furniture layouts, one for lighting, etc.  This is cumbersome and takes up more memory space.  Also, if I move anything on one plan, it doesn't transfer to the other plans because they are different drawings.

Please help.

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 April 2022 - 12:35 PM

You have to make sure that none of your electrical plan is set to VISIBLE IN ALL MODES. Which is the default for electrical items.

You could also set all your electrical symbols to an ELECTRICAL layer that is not visible in drawing mode, but is in electrical mode.

• Jon Davis and Sean Tobin like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 05 April 2022 - 01:53 PM

I might be off base on this, but can't you just edit the drawing on your sheet and change the mode you want to display?

Attached Files

• Jon Davis and Sean Tobin like this

#4 Jon Davis

Jon Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 April 2022 - 08:11 AM

^ Both of those are necessary. If you switch to "electrical" in drawing mode, and put all your electrical items on a separate "electrical" layer that is only active in the electrical mode, then when you put the floor plan on the lighting plan set page, you right click, edit, and switch to electrical like Philip shows above, and it should work correctly.

• Sean Tobin likes this

#5 Lane De Muro

Lane De Muro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:50 PM

A while back Keith Almond suggested saving everything as a separate drawing.
That has worked very well for me.

Lane De Muro

Windows 10 on a Dell something or other which works  but should be replaced.

#6 Daniel Jackson

Daniel Jackson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 12:04 PM

The multiple drawing is what I am doing now.  It works, but causes issues.  For instance, If I have a Plan with all the framing dimensions, a Layout with all the furniture, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, and a third for electrical, then the customer changes a window or moves a wall, I have to make sure I update 3 drawings.  I want to be able to update (work) on ONE drawing and used different plan set pages for the different visuals.  

Thank you for all your answers, I will try some of these and post the results.

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 12:08 PM

You could always set some of the CUSTOM MODES to show exactly what you want. You just have to make sure the relevant items are not set to VISIBLE IN ALL MODES. That's the only setting you need to worry about. Apart from that, they should show in the mode they are drawn in.

• Sean Tobin likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 06:16 PM

A while back Keith Almond suggested saving everything as a separate drawing.
That has worked very well for me.

Just to clarify:

I meant that details should be separate, Opening schedules should be their own drawing, EVERY schedule should be on a separate drawing. Every independent piece should be on a standalone drawing. That way they can be added to the plansets as separate drawings wherever works.

We've even put a Opening Schedule on EVERY elevation. Just one schedule with multiple insertions.

My Rule of Thumb: NEVER draw ANYTHING directly into the planset.

I DID NOT mean that Electrical layouts etc. should be on their own drawings ... That way MADNESS lies!

• Mark Petri and Sean Tobin like this
Keith

#9 Daniel Jackson

Daniel Jackson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 07:58 AM

Thank you for all your input.  But I am still having issues with this.

My company likes to have a PLAN page with all the dimensions and walls etc.  But no furniture, cabinets, shelving, etc.

We use a LAYOUT page, that has all the furniture, cabinets, shelves etc.  I have tried using the Room and Interior modes, but this changes the way the walls look, it shades all the furniture, They just look like crap.

Is there a way to turn off layers in Plan Sets?  So I can turn on/off the items I don't want visible?

How do I create a custom mode that is ALMOST identical to the Drawing mode.  As in, everything looks exactly the same, but I can turn off all the things I don't want to see?

If I insert my main floor drawing into my main floor plan set page, that is great. this shows dimensions, walls, openings.  That's all I need.

But when I create a layout plan set page, I insert the main floor drawing.  But I want to show all the cabinets, shelving, notes, furniture.  If I turn that all on, in the drawing, then it shows up on all my plan pages using that drawing.

#10 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 11 May 2022 - 08:53 AM

You can create Custom Drawing Modes
  1. Create a Furniture layer
  2. Open your Drawing Options and select Custom Drawing Modes. Select one of the 5 available modes and name it Furniture.
  3. Go to Drawing Mode Visibilities. Select your Furniture mode. Click on the word "Layers" in the left column. Note, click on the word, not the checkbox next to it.
  4. Put a check next to Furniture layer to make it visible in Furniture Mode then select OK
  5. Switch to the Furniture mode. At the top of the screen select the layer selection button. Normally it would be labeled "Default Layer". The Layer window will open. Click on the Furniture layer to select it. This makes the Furniture layer the Active Layer. Notice that the label Default Layer has changed to Furniture.
  6. Now anything you draw in the Furniture Mode will automatically be assigned the Furniture Layer. And since the Furniture Layer is only visible in the Furniture Mode the items drawn while in Furniture Mode will only be visible in Furniture Mode. If you have already drawn items you wish to only be visible in Furniture mode edit them and assign them the Furniture layer.
  7. Finally, after inserting your drawing into the Furniture plan set page right click the drawing. Select Edit. For the Drawing Mode select Furniture.

I use this same method to create custom HVAC and Plumbing modes.

• David Zawadzki and Sean Tobin like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Electrical, Furniture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users