Photo

Fit wall to roof - What is the reference?

wall\ fit to roof\ wall height

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Wesley Penner

Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationRoxton Falls, Quebec, Canada

Posted 12 April 2022 - 04:36 AM

Hello all,

I have often asked myself what SP uses as a reference for the top of a wall when I hit "Fit wall to roof". I am working on a project with I-joists as rafters. When I use the "Fit wall to roof" it seems to make the top of the wall at about in the middle of the I-joist. What setting could I adjust to make SP fit the wall to the bottom (or to the top) of the I-joist?

Thanks

Wesley Penner

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2022-04-12 063455.png

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 April 2022 - 06:06 AM

It seems to be going up to the underside of the fascia ... or at least the fascia line.

OFF TOPIC: Can you actually cut the bottom of the I-joist like that and keep it structural? I think the bottom chord would have to sit on the plate.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 06:16 AM

This is a guess but it may be referencing the rafter depth that you had set in Roof Options when you drew the roof.

• Keith Almond likes this

#4 Wesley Penner

Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 08:40 AM

OFF TOPIC: Can you actually cut the bottom of the I-joist like that and keep it structural? I think the bottom chord would have to sit on the plate.

Keith,

You are right. I had not gotten that far in refining my design. I just tried it now and it seems that it has to do with the Fascia and Sub Fascia depth settings in roof options. The rafter seemed to be cutting off level with the bottom of the fascia. I adjusted them to 11 7/8'' which is the depth of my I joists. This fixed that problem. But when I changed the fascia and Sub fascia settings in Roof Options back to 5 1/2'' it stayed sitting on the wall. Any way I got it fixed for you, Keith. 

Wesley

#5 Wesley Penner

Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 08:56 AM

It seems to have to do with the fascia depth. If I adjust the fascia depth of the roof to 11 7/8, the wall height is correct. But this puts my roof off wack. My actual fascia depth should be 5 1/2.  :(

#6 Wesley Penner

Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 09:55 AM

The fascia depth on the roof seems to be the key to the height of the wall when you hit the "Fit Top to Roof" button in Edit wall. I can get close by adjusting fascia depths and readjusting heel heights, but then my soffit offsets too far down.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2022-04-12 115255.png

#7 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 11:06 AM

I think it's the heel height that controls this.

#8 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 12:04 PM

Wouldn't you want to stop the I-Joist at the end of the wall and add 2x6 rafter tails for the overhang?

Note:  SoftPlan will not clip the bottom of any rafter that projects below the soffit.

#9 Wesley Penner

Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 05:35 PM

Wouldn't you want to stop the I-Joist at the end of the wall and add 2x6 rafter tails for the overhang?

Note:  SoftPlan will not clip the bottom of any rafter that projects below the soffit.

Perhaps, but how would this solve my problem? I would like the "Fit top to Roof" to adjust the wall height to the underside of the rafters. 

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 April 2022 - 06:05 PM

Why not add the ceiling, and fit to ceiling.

• Jim Johnson likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#11 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 08:31 PM

Perhaps, but how would this solve my problem? I would like the "Fit top to Roof" to adjust the wall height to the underside of the rafters. 

It doesn't solve the Fit to Roof issue.  I was commenting on the second half of your post #6 talking about the heel heights & fascia depth.  I think Keith suggestion to use Fit to Ceiling would get you the closest.  No matter which way you go I think you are going to need to tweek the height of the wall manually.

#12 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 12 April 2022 - 09:53 PM

The fascia depth on the roof seems to be the key to the height of the wall when you hit the "Fit Top to Roof" button in Edit wall. I can get close by adjusting fascia depths and readjusting heel heights, but then my soffit offsets too far down.

Thinking set the soffit drop so it’s what you want it to be, let the heel height do what it needs to do, add a ceiling and fit to ceiling 

Fit to roof isn’t what you want with rafters (jsi’s) in the real world the walls would be below the rafters not fitted to the roof?

• Jim Johnson likes this

#13 Wesley Penner

Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 08:23 AM

Thinking set the soffit drop so it’s what you want it to be, let the heel height do what it needs to do, add a ceiling and fit to ceiling 

Fit to roof isn’t what you want with rafters (jsi’s) in the real world the walls would be below the rafters not fitted to the roof?

I think that you may be right. Thanks everyone. It has helped me to understand what the Fit top to roof actually means.

#14 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 16 April 2022 - 12:55 PM

Now if we could have control of some settings to either have the rafter birds-mouth perfectly over a wall top plate (bearing situation) or get the top plates to bevel cut at the slope of the rafter/ceiling and the studs to cut properly that would be great. And, rafter tails to cut or if I-Joist automatically add a 2x tail of our choosing. Is that too much to ask?

• Jim Johnson and Wesley Penner like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wall\, fit to roof\, wall height

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users