• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Monica Freng

Monica Freng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 12:04 PM

Hi! New to softplan and working through my first house project. We're creating a full model before creating a major renovation.

I'm hitting a roadblock with creating an angled exterior chimney stack that sits against the house with siding. I have the exterior chimney walls set on their own plan to join with the first floor model, and have successfully made a sloped wall, but cannot figure out how to make the final wall side in order to close it up. TIA! 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (7).png

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 27 May 2022 - 07:34 PM

Best to use a roof or solid ramp/wedge and work with offsets. If you use a roof, just use a material you haven't used elsewhere and adjust the roof settings before you draw it so it reflects the thickness and look you are going for. Uncheck fascia, soffit, etc. if you don't need to show them.

• Stephan Page likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 31 May 2022 - 07:20 AM

I use roof planes with no overhang and minimal heel and have the roof lollypop based on a hidden wall  then pitch the wall to roof.  in your case your corner board will not connect properly so the pitched section of wall i would make that section hidden and use no corners then the upper chase walls will connect properly.

I would not use wedge or any solids unless in a time pinch.  The texture of a solid and the texture of a wall material such as stone may seem the same however since applied to a different source object you'll have a break line.  If 3d clarity is of importance to your work, best use a same material so in my case of my illustrated example, use a hidden wall with stone on the angled part.

Welcome to Softplan and this forum formally known as SPLASH!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

• Mark Petri likes this

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#4 Monica Freng

Monica Freng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for the advice.  Creating a hidden wall the same height as the top of the sloped portion of the chimney wall gave me a reference point to create a simple roof. Tweaking fascia details and using the hole tool got me there for the look I needed! 

Now just to cleanup a bit more and fix that squirrelly soffit line that came out of nowhere!Screenshot (12).png

• Joseph Smith likes this

#5 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 31 May 2022 - 12:41 PM

Great Job!

edit the hole you created and turn off soffit/fascia.

when doing a stone top or something other then shingles simply edit that little roof and change the roof material to something else.

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users