9 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 12:21 PM

This isn't the first time this has happened and why I didn't upload the latest patch till just now.  Multiple system settings options that have been there since the original install are changed.  Symbols that I had place in an easy to find folder...gone.  I'm sick and tired of being the guinea pig when it comes to software.  

#2 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 01:26 PM

The patch does not change system settings or do anything with your symbol folders. If you are experiencing these issues then something else must be occurring.

Tech support may be able to help you to determine the cause.

• John Pepper and John Jones like this

#3 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 02:54 PM

All Good Here

• Steven Wohlgemuth likes this

#4 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 04:12 PM

Nothing happening today other than installing patch.  Now I have wall thickness dimensions showing where they never have, walls that do not have insulation showing in plan view that always have, opening sizes showing width only instead of width and height, cabinet faces not matching what I set in system options just to name a few.  Several times today I've opened a project only to find elevations saved that were from a previous version of the drawings, close and reopen, sometimes they are correct other times not.  Opening directly by double clickling a drawing file in windows explored opened softplan with the correct drawings when nothing else worked.  All the same behavior on the 4 or 5 projects I've worked on today.  Just grateful that I'm old enough that It won't be many more years before I'm retiring.

#5 John Pepper

John Pepper

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 406 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 05:15 PM

Sam after digging through your logs, I see that you have successfully patched from 2022.4.2 to 2022.4.3 multiple times in the past few weeks from what appears to be the same machine.
This implies to me that either you have multiple installs on the same machine or some backup software is somehow restoring old files.
Multiple copies is the most likely and could explain the appearance of changes in your libraries and configuration. You probably have some different ways of starting the program and one shortcut points to one install and another points to a different one. This is just an educated guess. Tech support may be able to help you figure out what is going on.
  • Brent Hyndman and John Jones like this

#6 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 03:59 AM

I have similar issue although I have never vocalized the issues the same. The SP program is static.  However it goes out hundreds of different operating systems, dozens of different video cards and the system is advancing its capabilities every two years.  I don't have an IT background, so my terminology is probably not appropriate, but file management is my biggest challenge.  I can manipulate SP with the help of TS and this forum to do anything I need or want. If there was ever a class I would PROBABLY sign up for it would be one in file management.   I use have a HP Omen, a NVidia video card,  MS Windows 10, have SP2014, then it jumps to 2018 and now 2022+ and plus is where I will stay.

Without getting into the weeds on this subject...FILE MANGEMENT is it for me.  I welcome and dread SP2024+, because it is yet another on my system.  Maybe its the windows side??

#7 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:26 AM

I can find files that get away from me usually eventially.  I have a few installs on my computer that I can find by opening "C" and see that I have 3 installs, One is the Beta test program.

I get afraid to delete the extras installs, only because once I have the program stable, I don't want to chance.it.

I see that projects I started ,for example, with the Beta copy, will have those projects attached to the Beta test.   sorta afraid if I delete i'll lose the project.  Probably not , but then i will have to find it?

I am sure I am opening the same coping each time, as i use the same desktop icon.

It would be nice to know where the projects attached to the Beta copy for instance in the "project file" would go if I delete the program (beta Copy install).

#8 John Pepper

John Pepper

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 406 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 08:18 AM

Hovering over any project on the start page will give you the full path to the project if it is not in the current installs project folder.  

Installing multiple major versions side by side can be a bit tricky in file management and configuration because a goal is to allow each version continue to run properly rather than replace the existing software.  These are issues people with complex configurations may experience when installing 2022 beside an existing 2020, because they want to run both.  

The OP's said the issue occurred with patching.  Patching a 2022.4.2 to a 2022.4.3 should not have these kinds complexities.  The evidence shows that 2022.4.2 was successfully patched and later run as a 2022.4.3.  Later a 2022.4.2 on the seemingly on the same machine patched to 2022.4.3 again.   This implies either multiple copies of 2022, potentially with different individual configurations OR some external sync/backup software ,like google drive for example, that is somehow replacing important files with older copies of exes and potentially drawings and libraries when it is not desired. SoftPlan doesn't revert a 2022.4.3 back to a 2022.4.2 itself.  If there is only one 2022 install, something external to SoftPlan is at play.

• Steve and Carla Farnam, Mike Adams, Brent Hyndman and 1 other like this

#9 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 08:34 AM

John,

I think you may be right.  It appears I have 3 separate softplan folders in my c drive.  One is 2020 that I've been afraid to uninstall after a previous version uninstall catastrophe.  I'm not sure why I would have 2 2022 folders but I do recall several times getting notified to install a patch and ignoring it because I was busy then going back to install it manually and being told I had the most current version.  I thought that very odd.  This last week I have had projects that I had updated, closed down softplan, opened the same project up and none of my changes were there.  Closed and reopened, everything back to normal.  Drawing options wrong, then drawing options ok.  It wasn't until your earlier comment that I went and looked and found several softplan folders.  One is names "Softplan" another "Softplan-1), and another (Softplan_9-16-2021_4-29_PM)  I'm not going to attempt any fix of this on my own.  Called in to support this morning and found its a canadian holiday so it will have to wait for another day.  So far today things are working ok.  Just looked on my laptop and also have 2 folders but they are just 2020 and 2022.  Not sure why I would have an extra install on this desktop but I bet that's what is causing the problem.  Thanks for the hint on where to look so I can get this fixed!

• Tim Kenyon, John Pepper, Steve and Carla Farnam and 2 others like this

#10 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 10:29 AM

Update:  spoke with billy in tech support today, we determined that somehow I had 2 versions of 2022 on my system and one of the desktop shortcuts was pointing to a version that had only some of my system settings intact.  Not sure how or why I had 2 versions installed...I don't ever recall doing anything but the original upgrade from 2020 to 2022.  Currently pulling off the extra 2022 and 2020 versions and saving them in my archive drive just in case.  Hopefully I'll be back up and running with no weird issues this afternoon.  Big thanks to support guys who almost always have easy suggestions to fix things!!!

• Mark Petri, Gary McKeon, John Pepper and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users